Moving from Dubai to Oman | ExpatWoman.com

Moving from Dubai to Oman

Latest post on 29 October 2015 - 20:02

Good evening ladies,
I'm wondering if any of you lived in Dubai/UAE before moving to Oman? How does life in Oman compare with your earlier time in Dubai? Are you happy you moved? My husband, daughter and I are considering a move to Oman (Muscat) after 7 years in Dubai. My daughter is in year 8 in the British system so schooling is obviously something to be researched. We're keen golfers and enjoy a BBQ in the desert so more the outdoor types than the Friday brunchers? Only just found out about this possible move so I have a lot of research to do. Any advice you ladies can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 05 November 2015 - 06:35
This is a very quiet forum - I will be happy to help. Best to come and check out everything before making the move - it is only a 3-4 drive from Dubai.
Latest post on 01 November 2015 - 22:26
Thank you mrsb. Very kind of you to take the time to reply. I'm glad to hear that your move to Oman has been successful, it certainly sounds like a beautiful country. We'll definitely visit before making any decisions about a move, and hopefully you'll be kind enough to answer any other questions I have at that time. Thanks again?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 October 2015 - 09:16
We have moved from Dubai to Muscat and are loving it. Oman is a very "down to earth" country and I can't imagine anyone not liking it. If you enjoy the "great outdoors" then it is definitely the location for you. There is so much to do - the wadis, beaches, mountains, heritage sites - Oman has a long and colourful history, etc. We are not into the city-social scene so I can't comment what goes on or what is available. There are an active yacht club and diving clubs too. There are several large malls and most general things available in Dubai are available here - same basic brands for clothes, food, electronics etc. Lulu and Carrefour as well as Spinneys are here. We are very happy with our move and I don't want to go back. Salaries here are on the increase generally and we have not had any decrease in salary between jobs. Although the general cost of living here is lower than the UAE, it is definitely on the rise so you need to factor that in when negotiating your contract. Life here is at a slower pace here generally and very enjoyable, however, morning traffic is just as hectic as Dubai and that terrible "school run" is alive and well here in Muscat.