Recycle in Dubai, is it real? | ExpatWoman.com

Recycle in Dubai, is it real?

Latest post on 16 November 2015 - 16:24

Does plastic/glass/paper really get recycled in Dubai? I am honestly a bit skeptical about it, considering you don't see poor people collecting these recyclables, which usually a sign of it really working in most countries. When I am trying to be environment-conscious and separate my garbage, is it really supported? Anyone knows for sure?

Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 09:18
the homecycle service is v good but just to note that they are unable to collect any items that have previously contained alcohol (mainly applies to glass or cans, mostly) because of the driver not being covered to transport them. They have had some issues on this score! So those items are hard to recycle - but al the rest they are happy to pick up
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 20:03
Thank you so much for the info as I have been gathering and sorting for a long time myself. I take the stuff to petrol pumps and put them in each bins assigned hoping they will be actually recycled. But now ill try the home cycle.org!!! (DH complains every time he sees my trunk as I gather and then dispose off when I have time left after long wait at the pump ?)
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 10:56
wow clare1976, fantastic, thanks for sharing.
Latest post on 17 November 2015 - 15:47
I use homecycle.org and my recycling (paper, card, plastic bottles, glass, tetra pack-type containers, drink cans, batteries, ink cartridges, light bulbs etc) is collected from my doorstep on request. You can earn points towards charity donations or shopping vouchers for eco car washes, planting a tree, and many more - Body Shop, Organic Café etc They do this for free - you sign up online - residential or business.
Latest post on 17 November 2015 - 11:42
Actually, recycling is sorted after collection (glass/paper/metal) in the US as well. They must have some sort of mechanical systems in place at the recycling plants. The difference is that here we have to pay to recycle by contacting this company or sort through the material ourselves and then haul it to the free recycling bins set up in very limited areas as opposed to be some sort of incentives to encourage it. People do collect recyclable materials from the trash and sell it to recyclers as a way of earning extra income (I've seen it in both developed and not-so-developed countries) but have not seen it here at all.
Latest post on 17 November 2015 - 08:45
Does plastic/glass/paper really get recycled in Dubai? I am honestly a bit skeptical about it, considering you don't see poor people collecting these recyclables, which usually a sign of it really working in most countries. When I am trying to be environment-conscious and separate my garbage, is it really supported? Anyone knows for sure? I heard the poor bin men, have to sort through everything
Latest post on 16 November 2015 - 22:21
I've been looking into this myself recently. A quick google search came up with this company's website - http://www.enviroserve.ae/services/green-truck/ They charge AED100 a month and are responsible for collection and sorting of the recyclable materials. I have to check if they offer this service in the area where I live. The only reason I haven't called them yet is I don't know where to store the recycling bin for an entire week inside my small apartment.
Latest post on 16 November 2015 - 21:19
I've been wondering about recycling here since I arrived; do you all sort and separate your rubbish then? What do you do with say paper and glass bottles? I would love to recycle but didn't think they did it here... Thanks
Latest post on 16 November 2015 - 17:35
There are big recycling plants in the UAE (not necessarily in Dubai) and this is a fact. :)
Latest post on 16 November 2015 - 17:06
http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/environment/15-new-recycling-stations-set-for-dubai-1.1585059 I think that the municipality realises that as the population grows, areas areas that they thought were well out of the way like next to Al Warqa, where they want to put the new Safari park, are actually a health hazard creating a lot of methane gas. They seriously want to do something about it.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY