A bit closer to taking teh plunge - or the plane | ExpatWoman.com

A bit closer to taking teh plunge - or the plane

Latest post on 18 November 2015 - 21:39

So we have got further along the job negotiation road and we think we might do it. The head hunter is looking for me too and thinks I might get a three day a week job as associate professor at the university - which sounds ideal and stops me worrying about endless unfilled days of fingernails and facials ( I have nothing against either they are just not me).

We are thinking maybe Jumeira 1, 2, or 3 but can't really see what the difference is between them. There appear to be a few affordable beach front villas on offer but we have no idea whether people turn up and put up their beach tent and deck chairs for the day or not. It would be good to know - or whether it is better to pay out for a beach club and if so which ones are close by and reasonably priced?

If the beach is just outside our door ( more likely it seems if we go to the palm) can we have a cabana or BBQ outside the house?

Do any western women adopt UAE dress? Methinks probably not for fear of offending but I have to say Abayas look incredibly comfortable and would suit my ageing rounded body well. I imagine local dress is what is best suited to local climate - and the idea of just throwing on something loose and flowing is quite appealing.

Are there any real pitfalls for unsuspecting new to expat life sort of people?

Some bits seem very exciting and the idea of evenings warm enough to sit outside, friends wanting to come and visit and an opportunity to travel at weekends to see Saudi, Oman, the other Emirates and Jordan are very appealing.

Do we have to get a big 4x4 realistically - will a little VW Golf not do?

Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 17:45
Thank you for your kind offer Stix, I'll be sure to ask if I think of anything else. Oh yes, I am wondering what has made you so dismissive and so judgemental and hard towards someone you have never met? Difficult childhood? PMT? I'm I do think amusement funded by unpleasantness says more about the author than the target of the aggression. I am sure your studio flat is lovely brie03. A long time ago I had a charming little bedsit in London and have very happy memories of my time there. Then I got married and had children and we had to move to larger accommodation. Then we had more children (we were never bored on a cold, winter night) and the house had to be expanded. We still need a large house when we move to Dubai, not because we are smug, poncy or flaunting our wealth but to fit our prodigy in. We have six children and they need to be accommodated two of them with their partners. We need space for friends to come and stay too and we are a bit beyond squashing into a single bed or using a blow up mattress. It's not about lowliness but about space. It may surprise you to know we probably won't have a maid - certainly not a live in one. I cannot justify working only three days and having someone clear up my mess for a pittance. Again not a judgement on those that do - I had nannies when the children were younger - but we don't really need someone now. Blue413 Control freak is not something I am usually accused of. Sometimes I just get on a bus to see where it goes (that is a lie, actually). I don't very often use buses as the nearest stop is seven miles away and the bus only goes twice a week. I am not sure it is kind to make sweeping assumptions based on a few questions. The fact younarrivedvwith three suitcases and a couple of school places is a) irrelevant and b) of dubious accuracy. How did you get visas without a job? Did you wander around on a donkey knocking at doors and being asked to taken in? Did you find somewhere that accepted your native currency? Did you not have health insurance for your children? Imsuspect if you take your blinkers off you may remember you did actually plan a little better than you suggest! Just for Nordique and Lady Mary :)
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 20:44
Back where she came from hopefully..honestly, haven't been on here for a couple of months but if you ladies were really finding that entertaining this place has sunk lower than I thought....:\:
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 19:17
Where has she gone?
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 17:40
It's certainly been an emotional roller coaster. I've been confused, amused, affronted, symphatetic and then kind of insulted. It is difficult to read someone's character by a few posts, but she has come across as pompous, snooty, rude, insensitive and spiteful. She wonders why people have responded the way they have- she needs to re-read her own posts. Honestly, I've now had enough of her entertaining as it was. It's now lost some momentum. If only Tessa21 had some more questions................
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 16:56
Thank you for your kind offer Stix, I'll be sure to ask if I think of anything else. Oh yes, I am wondering what has made you so dismissive and so judgemental and hard towards someone you have never met? Difficult childhood? PMT? I'm I do think amusement funded by unpleasantness says more about the author than the target of the aggression. I am sure your studio flat is lovely brie03. A long time ago I had a charming little bedsit in London and have very happy memories of my time there. Then I got married and had children and we had to move to larger accommodation. Then we had more children (we were never bored on a cold, winter night) and the house had to be expanded. We still need a large house when we move to Dubai, not because we are smug, poncy or flaunting our wealth but to fit our prodigy in. We have six children and they need to be accommodated two of them with their partners. We need space for friends to come and stay too and we are a bit beyond squashing into a single bed or using a blow up mattress. It's not about lowliness but about space. It may surprise you to know we probably won't have a maid - certainly not a live in one. I cannot justify working only three days and having someone clear up my mess for a pittance. Again not a judgement on those that do - I had nannies when the children were younger - but we don't really need someone now. Blue413 Control freak is not something I am usually accused of. Sometimes I just get on a bus to see where it goes (that is a lie, actually). I don't very often use buses as the nearest stop is seven miles away and the bus only goes twice a week. I am not sure it is kind to make sweeping assumptions based on a few questions. The fact younarrivedvwith three suitcases and a couple of school places is a) irrelevant and b) of dubious accuracy. How did you get visas without a job? Did you wander around on a donkey knocking at doors and being asked to taken in? Did you find somewhere that accepted your native currency? Did you not have health insurance for your children? Imsuspect if you take your blinkers off you may remember you did actually plan a little better than you suggest! Fair play to you Tessa - several weeks since I saw anything I could be bothered to log in for !! As someone else said, your initial posts (the ones that are left - I get the feeling this thread has undergone a severe pruning) seemed harmless enough - either a bored 12 year old school boy, embittered maid or someone who really has been considering a move, but the last few have revealed a disturbing nastiness. Yes it's possible someone rocked up here with two school places and 3 suitcases, I've met lots of ladies with similar stories. Way too many factual inaccuracies, I can't be bothered to be honest but I'm disappointed that your thread seems to have run its course - the snooty lady of the manor was mildly entertaining, if only to pick out the typos and errors but it's become something else now..what a shame...just ready for a TNT... We had someone a few years ago who plagued the forum with endless questions - even ended up making spreadsheets !! Yes really..but in real life it became clear she was also a control freak with an attitude not unlike yours...in fact, had she been British I might now be wondering...lol !!
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 13:04
Tessa21 wrote: Thank you for your kind offer Stix, I'll be sure to ask if I think of anything else. Oh yes, I am wondering what has made you so dismissive and so judgemental and hard towards someone you have never met? Difficult childhood? PMT? I'm I do think amusement funded by unpleasantness says more about the author than the target of the aggression." Your horrible Some of your posts were amusing in an inadvertently ignorant way but this response clearly shows what you are. New topics to come: Tessa is showing her true colors, An innocent countryside Aga-owner has a secret agenda, Difficult childhood and PMT- hardships one had to overcome to become a successful professor.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 12:20
Tessa21 wrote: Thank you for your kind offer Stix, I'll be sure to ask if I think of anything else. Oh yes, I am wondering what has made you so dismissive and so judgemental and hard towards someone you have never met? Difficult childhood? PMT? I'm I do think amusement funded by unpleasantness says more about the author than the target of the aggression." Your horrible Some of your posts were amusing in an inadvertently ignorant way but this response clearly shows what you are.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 08:16
Thank you for your kind offer Stix, I'll be sure to ask if I think of anything else. Oh yes, I am wondering what has made you so dismissive and so judgemental and hard towards someone you have never met? Difficult childhood? PMT? I'm I do think amusement funded by unpleasantness says more about the author than the target of the aggression. I am sure your studio flat is lovely brie03. A long time ago I had a charming little bedsit in London and have very happy memories of my time there. Then I got married and had children and we had to move to larger accommodation. Then we had more children (we were never bored on a cold, winter night) and the house had to be expanded. We still need a large house when we move to Dubai, not because we are smug, poncy or flaunting our wealth but to fit our prodigy in. We have six children and they need to be accommodated two of them with their partners. We need space for friends to come and stay too and we are a bit beyond squashing into a single bed or using a blow up mattress. It's not about lowliness but about space. It may surprise you to know we probably won't have a maid - certainly not a live in one. I cannot justify working only three days and having someone clear up my mess for a pittance. Again not a judgement on those that do - I had nannies when the children were younger - but we don't really need someone now. Blue413 Control freak is not something I am usually accused of. Sometimes I just get on a bus to see where it goes (that is a lie, actually). I don't very often use buses as the nearest stop is seven miles away and the bus only goes twice a week. I am not sure it is kind to make sweeping assumptions based on a few questions. The fact younarrivedvwith three suitcases and a couple of school places is a) irrelevant and b) of dubious accuracy. How did you get visas without a job? Did you wander around on a donkey knocking at doors and being asked to taken in? Did you find somewhere that accepted your native currency? Did you not have health insurance for your children? Imsuspect if you take your blinkers off you may remember you did actually plan a little better than you suggest! Is your first question directed at me specifically or everyone who disagrees with you? It seems the rest of your post has done exactly as I expected - you answered all your critics. I haven't been dismissive at all, you've written for pages, you've had a lot to say. I merely asked if there was anything further? As for whether I've suffered from a difficult childhood, or PMT - talk about judgemental! Pot? Kettle? I only wrote two sentences. I would think members of this forum would be in a much better position to judge you based on the diatribe you've gone on with for the last few days!
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 08:15
It may surprise you to know that you can enter the UAE on a visit visa without a job and without a return ticket if you have particular passports. You can then do infinite visa runs to extend the time you can stay. You are correct though maybe we did plan a bit more than I remember. My husband accepted a job in Saudi Arabia and we decluttered our house and moved to Dubai. I believe the 'planning stage' took all of 8 weeks. I am not irresponsible, I just think sometimes it's a case of sink or swim. Anyway enough about me..... I honestly wish you well in your move.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 03:18
Thinking of my old age....my daughter is keen to gain employment earning lots of money...any chance of a heads up as to what career pathway your DH took to allow him to earn such good money. I could then steer her in that direction. On a more serious note...you mentioned re maids and how you wouldn't have one. I have never had a maid but stay in a small apartment. What I can tell you is that cleaning the floors even in a small apartment is never ending and tough. I'm fit and do a lot of sport but not sure I would like to be cleaning a five bed villa and out door area. Even my small patio area takes about an hour once a week to clean and get rid of all the sand. Houses are perpetually dusty...sweeping and mopping is hot work. You also referred to liking the idea of sitting outside of an evening. It can be pleasant, but from around June till End of Sept it is more akin to sitting in a sauna and most people seek out indoors and air conditioning. Winter can be nice to sit outside if the Mosquitos aren't about...some areas are worse than others for mozzies. Good luck with your move and keep us posted with how it all goes.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 02:37
Oops I replied to the wrong thread, the odes and poems (!!!!?) were somewhere else, but still -arrrgggghhhhh!!! Come on ladies'??? Odes, really??? What would Tessa think?? Lame!!!
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 02:29
I must admit to not being a fan of the 'odes' rhymes, poems etc !!! Lame??? But loving Tessa for giving this forum a much needed shot in the A***! We all need an Aga saga, and bring on the cocktails xx
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 01:33
Thank you for your kind offer Stix, I'll be sure to ask if I think of anything else. Oh yes, I am wondering what has made you so dismissive and so judgemental and hard towards someone you have never met? Difficult childhood? PMT? I'm I do think amusement funded by unpleasantness says more about the author than the target of the aggression. I am sure your studio flat is lovely brie03. A long time ago I had a charming little bedsit in London and have very happy memories of my time there. Then I got married and had children and we had to move to larger accommodation. Then we had more children (we were never bored on a cold, winter night) and the house had to be expanded. We still need a large house when we move to Dubai, not because we are smug, poncy or flaunting our wealth but to fit our prodigy in. We have six children and they need to be accommodated two of them with their partners. We need space for friends to come and stay too and we are a bit beyond squashing into a single bed or using a blow up mattress. It's not about lowliness but about space. It may surprise you to know we probably won't have a maid - certainly not a live in one. I cannot justify working only three days and having someone clear up my mess for a pittance. Again not a judgement on those that do - I had nannies when the children were younger - but we don't really need someone now. Blue413 Control freak is not something I am usually accused of. Sometimes I just get on a bus to see where it goes (that is a lie, actually). I don't very often use buses as the nearest stop is seven miles away and the bus only goes twice a week. I am not sure it is kind to make sweeping assumptions based on a few questions. The fact younarrivedvwith three suitcases and a couple of school places is a) irrelevant and b) of dubious accuracy. How did you get visas without a job? Did you wander around on a donkey knocking at doors and being asked to taken in? Did you find somewhere that accepted your native currency? Did you not have health insurance for your children? Imsuspect if you take your blinkers off you may remember you did actually plan a little better than you suggest!
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 15:56
Tessa, is there anything we can help you with? You seem to have all the answers already. LOL! spot on Stix!
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 15:20
Tessa, is there anything we can help you with? You seem to have all the answers already.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 14:20
Oh gosh. Imagine living in a lowly two bedroom.!!! How disgraceful. Note the sarcasm as I sit in my Ma Sha Allah, studio apartment. Which I love as it not only gives me a roof over my head but modern things like air conditioning, a stove, a washing machine, a dish washer, and even windows!!!
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 12:32
Couch potato, how wise and I do understand that the staff were desperately trying to improve their lot - or as you say most probably his families lot. I just fell slightly uncomfortable knowing they are paid so little to do such a menial task for my pleasure - except of course it isn't a pleasure because it makes me feel uncomfortable about polarisation of wealth. Carrefour? I was imagining sauntering around Waitrose looking for purple heritage carrots and bunches of watercress. Do Ocado not deliver? I am sure they do - or they have missed a trick.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 05:52
Tessa, the man employed to sweep the foyer steps will be immensely proud of his job. His job will also be enabling him to educate his children, and give them the chances in life he didn't have - so please try to look at it that way. You [b'>must [/b'>move to Dubai. I can't wait for your first trip to Carrefour on a Friday afternoon. We can't wait until Sept 2016 for this move, please try and come earlier.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 02:38
You don't need sunglasses in Northumberland! Poncy? What an interesting and decidedly ineffective insult! Something Shakespearean like a Morg fleshed fustilion might be an improvement. Flaunting wealth? Nope, someone told me what the salary offer was I simply agreed. I wonder whether the person dismissing me for discussing the potential packages wears nice jewellery? That is flaunting wealth - it's all relative. A like of rural life and love of the sea - are they mutually exclusive? Discuss. How many addresses don't get takeaways? Lots is the easy answer. I am afraid I can't quote exact numbers but counties such as Northumberlund, Cumbria, Norfolk, Devon, Pembrokeshire and most of Wales and Scotland have communities who have to cook for themselves as there is no takeaway facility. Lots of people don't live in cities or town centres. What I saw of Dubai was very different to my experience of some cities. The ratio of national citizens to immigrants, for example. That it is a country governed by Sharia law, that it wasn't a nation until the 1970s, the speed of growth, the wealth, the visionary architecture and engineering. All very different to places like Canterbury, Shrewsbury, Exeter, Brighton, Southampton and even London. In a weekend (fly in Friday and home Sunday leaves little time for anything but a quick dip, a look at the Dubai mall and a supper party. Even I realise the luxury of the hotel isn't the everyday reality - or maybe it is? My problem comes from reconciling the glitz and glamour with the roles some people are asked to perform. We had one chap employed to sweep the foyer steps every time someone walked across the marble and another to press the button for the lifts. My husband and I got to the point where it became irritating. I won't address issues around the use of the beach as someone's very wise comments re disadvantages make us think probably not beach front. How am I meant to know they are the busiest area? The whole of Dubai looked busy. Of course we are negotiating a good housing package. We have to maintain the house here (cleaning, heating, gardening etc all cost) and have somewhere for the children to come to in Dubai -they are mainly adults but only just and we are still where their home is. What are we meant to do ? Go for a small 2 bedroom apartment and tell them to pitch a tent on the balcony? How will we entertain for work if we don't have a dining room? Why would we not have a pool? We have one here and I'm not about to move to a lower standard of accommodation. OK I did think OP referred to aged human as opposed to original poster. I am irritated by typo in title but not sure how to amend. I tend to pass long train journeys on things like this and Facebook which break up the reading. My turkey tips are genuine.
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 21:59
you say you have come to Dubai before yet: - you know the name of "the ranches" but you don't know the name of Sheikh Zayed Road.... (named after the late king and most prominent figure here) - you know that the churches are mixed in race but you don't know that all women can wear abayas, and jalabiyas... Yet you say you have been here? Had you not seen what people were wearing?? - You say you are from the country, yet you are admit to live on the beach which are in the busiest areas of town... - you say you have been here, yet you clearly didn't notice that Dubai is a city like any other in the world. Thus if you have a house on the beach which has a yard, why on earth wouldn't you be able to put a pergola, or a tent, or a bbq, or even a statue of a rabbit there??? Its your yard!! I'm so confused by this thread. If you are indeed real you have very skewed perspectives on Dubai and perhaps even the whole world outside your small town bubble.... Yeah, indeed, Tessa if from such a deep countryside that no one delivers to them, so poor woman has to cook every day for her CEO husband who works in a very successful company, probably also located in the countryside with no restaurants there. And now they must live on the beach! This thread is keeping me and my collegues amused for hours. But on the delivery topic have a look on google maps for Stonehaugh, Northumberland. We don't have any deliveries there. Poor us :( What a lovely place to live GE. Wild Northumberland, I'd say it's worth the inconvenience of no deliveries to live in such a special place. ? It is lovely thanks and well worth the inconvenience. Everyone helps each other and if you run out or forget to by something, especially in winter there is always someone there who can help you out. BUT is there someone who will wipe your sunglasses ?!?!?! For the odd one or two days a year you need them, I'm sure I'll find someone ;)
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 21:47
you say you have come to Dubai before yet: - you know the name of "the ranches" but you don't know the name of Sheikh Zayed Road.... (named after the late king and most prominent figure here) - you know that the churches are mixed in race but you don't know that all women can wear abayas, and jalabiyas... Yet you say you have been here? Had you not seen what people were wearing?? - You say you are from the country, yet you are admit to live on the beach which are in the busiest areas of town... - you say you have been here, yet you clearly didn't notice that Dubai is a city like any other in the world. Thus if you have a house on the beach which has a yard, why on earth wouldn't you be able to put a pergola, or a tent, or a bbq, or even a statue of a rabbit there??? Its your yard!! I'm so confused by this thread. If you are indeed real you have very skewed perspectives on Dubai and perhaps even the whole world outside your small town bubble.... Yeah, indeed, Tessa if from such a deep countryside that no one delivers to them, so poor woman has to cook every day for her CEO husband who works in a very successful company, probably also located in the countryside with no restaurants there. And now they must live on the beach! This thread is keeping me and my collegues amused for hours. But on the delivery topic have a look on google maps for Stonehaugh, Northumberland. We don't have any deliveries there. Poor us :( What a lovely place to live GE. Wild Northumberland, I'd say it's worth the inconvenience of no deliveries to live in such a special place. ? It is lovely thanks and well worth the inconvenience. Everyone helps each other and if you run out or forget to by something, especially in winter there is always someone there who can help you out. BUT is there someone who will wipe your sunglasses ?!?!?!
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 21:25
you say you have come to Dubai before yet: - you know the name of "the ranches" but you don't know the name of Sheikh Zayed Road.... (named after the late king and most prominent figure here) - you know that the churches are mixed in race but you don't know that all women can wear abayas, and jalabiyas... Yet you say you have been here? Had you not seen what people were wearing?? - You say you are from the country, yet you are admit to live on the beach which are in the busiest areas of town... - you say you have been here, yet you clearly didn't notice that Dubai is a city like any other in the world. Thus if you have a house on the beach which has a yard, why on earth wouldn't you be able to put a pergola, or a tent, or a bbq, or even a statue of a rabbit there??? Its your yard!! I'm so confused by this thread. If you are indeed real you have very skewed perspectives on Dubai and perhaps even the whole world outside your small town bubble.... Yeah, indeed, Tessa if from such a deep countryside that no one delivers to them, so poor woman has to cook every day for her CEO husband who works in a very successful company, probably also located in the countryside with no restaurants there. And now they must live on the beach! This thread is keeping me and my collegues amused for hours. But on the delivery topic have a look on google maps for Stonehaugh, Northumberland. We don't have any deliveries there. Poor us :( What a lovely place to live GE. Wild Northumberland, I'd say it's worth the inconvenience of no deliveries to live in such a special place. ? It is lovely thanks and well worth the inconvenience. Everyone helps each other and if you run out or forget to by something, especially in winter there is always someone there who can help you out.
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 21:15
you say you have come to Dubai before yet: - you know the name of "the ranches" but you don't know the name of Sheikh Zayed Road.... (named after the late king and most prominent figure here) - you know that the churches are mixed in race but you don't know that all women can wear abayas, and jalabiyas... Yet you say you have been here? Had you not seen what people were wearing?? - You say you are from the country, yet you are admit to live on the beach which are in the busiest areas of town... - you say you have been here, yet you clearly didn't notice that Dubai is a city like any other in the world. Thus if you have a house on the beach which has a yard, why on earth wouldn't you be able to put a pergola, or a tent, or a bbq, or even a statue of a rabbit there??? Its your yard!! I'm so confused by this thread. If you are indeed real you have very skewed perspectives on Dubai and perhaps even the whole world outside your small town bubble.... Yeah, indeed, Tessa if from such a deep countryside that no one delivers to them, so poor woman has to cook every day for her CEO husband who works in a very successful company, probably also located in the countryside with no restaurants there. And now they must live on the beach! This thread is keeping me and my collegues amused for hours. But on the delivery topic have a look on google maps for Stonehaugh, Northumberland. We don't have any deliveries there. Poor us :( What a lovely place to live GE. Wild Northumberland, I'd say it's worth the inconvenience of no deliveries to live in such a special place. ?
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 20:49
you say you have come to Dubai before yet: - you know the name of "the ranches" but you don't know the name of Sheikh Zayed Road.... (named after the late king and most prominent figure here) - you know that the churches are mixed in race but you don't know that all women can wear abayas, and jalabiyas... Yet you say you have been here? Had you not seen what people were wearing?? - You say you are from the country, yet you are admit to live on the beach which are in the busiest areas of town... - you say you have been here, yet you clearly didn't notice that Dubai is a city like any other in the world. Thus if you have a house on the beach which has a yard, why on earth wouldn't you be able to put a pergola, or a tent, or a bbq, or even a statue of a rabbit there??? Its your yard!! I'm so confused by this thread. If you are indeed real you have very skewed perspectives on Dubai and perhaps even the whole world outside your small town bubble.... Yeah, indeed, Tessa if from such a deep countryside that no one delivers to them, so poor woman has to cook every day for her CEO husband who works in a very successful company, probably also located in the countryside with no restaurants there. And now they must live on the beach! This thread is keeping me and my collegues amused for hours. But on the delivery topic have a look on google maps for Stonehaugh, Northumberland. We don't have any deliveries there. Poor us :(
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 19:30
....just wondering (possibly completely off piste!) what happened to Izzyontheseat ...? Just asking ... Oh and the one with the expensive cat?! Ps loving this thread, oh haven't we all got a 500k housing allowance??!!! I certainly do (don't!)
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 18:23
Maybe someone testing out for this http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/jobsdetail.aspx?pid=1411&cid=jobs&jbid=7957
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 18:08
OP seems a complete control freak to me. We just rocked up here with 3 suitcases and learnt on the job. The only thing we had sorted was the kids school places. I'm really curious to know where in England she lives that you can't get pizza delivered to! But something tells me she may never have tried and probably makes her own from scratch. If she ever does make it to Dubai she'll be instantly recognisable- a 50 something English lady in an abaya driving her WV Golf to the Catholic Church and afterwards having a swimming in the sea before doing a bit of lecturing. This thread has been the best in ages, I'm really inspired to become more of a 'character' myself. Good luck to Tessa I say x ?, it sure sounds like an adventure, I want follow ups and I can see Nordic in her wellies at the airport with a welcome to Dubai banner!
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 17:12
OP seems a complete control freak to me. We just rocked up here with 3 suitcases and learnt on the job. The only thing we had sorted was the kids school places. I'm really curious to know where in England she lives that you can't get pizza delivered to! But something tells me she may never have tried and probably makes her own from scratch. If she ever does make it to Dubai she'll be instantly recognisable- a 50 something English lady in an abaya driving her WV Golf to the Catholic Church and afterwards having a swimming in the sea before doing a bit of lecturing. This thread has been the best in ages, I'm really inspired to become more of a 'character' myself. Good luck to Tessa I say x
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 17:08
I am mostly only getting annoyed with having to open the beginning of the thread, scroll down, press page 2 and scroll down. It is literally making my blood boil. ADMIN!!! Can't you have a 'go to last post on thread' option or at least put the page 1/2/3 options at the top of the page. Argh!!!
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 16:57
Is anyone else getting annoyed how Tessa asks so many questions in each post, and usually answers them herself too! This thread is hilarious!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY