Day trip to Abu Dhabi, how should we do it? Please share known options? | ExpatWoman.com

Day trip to Abu Dhabi, how should we do it? Please share known options?

Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 02:50

I have visitors in town and would like a relaxing day in Abu Dhabi, with no stress of driving or parking. Please advise which is best way to plan this?
Is it possible to see the grand mosque, have a nice walk somewhere and enjoy lunch someplace nice?
Is it best to take a bus (don't know which or where) and then take taxis to locations? Don't know my way around AD so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
We aren't big fans of tour groups, hoping this isn't the only way?
Thanks in advance

Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 11:14
Yes i agree with brie 03. Taking your own car is more convienient then the bus. Abu Dhabi is a spread out city, so you will need to drive from certain places to others. Like brie 03's reply, I also suggest that you should visit shangri la or fairmont on the canal or even anantara mangroves. They are relitavly close to the mosque and have great dining options as well. Saadiyat island would also be nice, why not Emirates Palace? (it's farther in Abu Dhabi though.) It's deffinitly worth a visit.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 10:19
You can hire a private van for the day to drive you all around...you can find them on dubizzle i think..all the best!
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 10:30
I highly suggest you take a car. even rent a car. As others have said it is very spread out. From you home to ibn batutta, then bus, then taxi to grand mosque your looking at 2+ hours to get from dubai to the grand mosque, and that's if all goes well. Also image you will be paying for each person on the bus to and from dubai to abu dhabi, which adds up quickly. I also suggest going to the other side of the canal where there is fairmont, shangrila etc. There is also the option of going to anantara mongroves for lunch (Stunning view), and then going for a walk on the boardwalk along the mongroves. Another option ENTIRELY, but my most preferred option in abu dhabi, is to go to saadiyat island for lunch and go for a walk on the beach. The buffet at Hyatt is incredible.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 10:29
Ladies thank you for the helpful replies. Can you tell me what to expect to pay in cab fare, say from the bus station to the mosque, and from there to that souk etc? Just trying to get an idea of how much the day will cost. Is there a number I could call to get the bus details? About the walking, I was wondering if there is a place we could be dropped after the mosque to stroll around and eat or have a shisha. I've heard mention of "the corniche" many times, but is it a place worth stopping and is it peaceful there? I ask because I know construction is always a factor. Again, thanks for the help!
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 08:37
RTA bus runs from Ibn Battuta Mall every hour I believe. As someone else mentioned, it will take you to the central bus station in Abu Dhabi and from there you can take a cab to the mosque. Close to the mosque (again another taxi ride) you can go to the Souk by the Shangri La which has many restaurants and have a nice view of the mosque.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 08:35
The Grand Mosque isn't very central and I don't think there's anywhere you could walk around there. There are hotels you could have lunch in nearby though. You would definitely need a taxi to get from there to the corniche. I'm not sure, but imagine there must be taxis outside the mosque. We have always driven and found it very spread out, so can't imagine it would be easy without a car or a tour. Is it possible to get a cab lol the way to AD from Dubai perhaps?
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 07:46
We have not done this without a car but I know of a non stop rta bus which starts from ibn battuta metro station every day (fixed schedule times) and goes to a central bus stop in Abu Dhabi from where you can take taxi. Search rta site for details. Abu Dhabi corniche use to be beautiful for a long nice walk but I don't know what have become of it after recent construction.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY