Has anyone ever crock-potted their turkey? | ExpatWoman.com

Has anyone ever crock-potted their turkey?

Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 15:53

On our turkey day we're going to be out for the part where I should be cooking, so I'm thinking of crock-potting. Has anyone ever cooked their turkey like this and any tips (apart from finding one that will fit inside??)

Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 17:01
Why not cook it the day before ?
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 16:18
I think you are supposed to check the temperature with a meat thermometer .... But I'm nearly 50 , and have cooked xmas turkey for over 30 years and never used a thermometer .... I would probably try 4 hrs on high , then 2 hrs on low then dig it with a skewer to see how it's doing, then you can decide whether to carry on cooking on high or low .
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 17:32
Only on EW could you go from jamming a small turkey into a crock-pot, to ordering one from the Burj Al Arab. :P thanks for all the tips. Ok so I shall be doing the crock pot but ensuring there's enough liquid and also not stuffing it with anything. I'll crisp it up in the oven when we get home, and report back the findings. Would around 8 hours be about right to cook it through do you think? Isn't that the fun bit? ;)
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 17:20
Only on EW could you go from jamming a small turkey into a crock-pot, to ordering one from the Burj Al Arab. :P thanks for all the tips. Ok so I shall be doing the crock pot but ensuring there's enough liquid and also not stuffing it with anything. I'll crisp it up in the oven when we get home, and report back the findings. Would around 8 hours be about right to cook it through do you think?
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 15:29
Why not order a pre cooked one from the supermarket or hotels? I have done that twice and then just had to make my own accompaniments as the hotels don't provide enough and their gravy was like water You won't have this complain if you order from burj Al Arab. Gravy is perfect and lot of stuff comes with it including cranberry sauce. You would just need to worry about dessert.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 14:58
I used to cook the turkey breast in casserole so I think crock pot would work the same way. Can't actually find my recipe but I roughly chopped winter veg added the turkey and covered in cider ( expect apple juice might be a substitute) the alcohol will cook out anyway. It keeps the meat very moist and tasty.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 13:46
I didn't do the whole turkey, but cooked turkey breast. See this link for details http://jamiecooksitup.net/2012/05/turkey-breast-of-wonder-crock-pot/ It did come out nice. Hope it helps
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 17:58
Yes I am going to slow cook the bird , but I won't be stuffing it. I actually have never stuffed the turkey , bit funny about putting my hand up the turkeys ***e
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 17:17
Why not order a pre cooked one from the supermarket or hotels? I have done that twice and then just had to make my own accompaniments as the hotels don't provide enough and their gravy was like water
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:35
Top Turkey Tips by Tessa! :)
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:27
Please don't stuff the cavity - you are likely to give your nearest and dearest food poisoning as it tends to stop heat circulating and so meat is not cooked properly. To stuff lift the skin and fill under that or serve stuffing separately. In the absence of turkey roasting bags, line a roasting tin with foil or even better a foil turkey tray (about £2.00 in UK), put a halved onion and a knob of butter in the cavity lay bacon across the top (assuming you can get streaky bacon and you eat it). then completely wrap in foil and cook in a slow oven for a good few hours - remove foil from top for last 30 - 45 mins when oven heat is up to roast potatoes. Rest 15-20 mins loosely covered by foil to retain heat.
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:18
Aha. So are you going to do it, W777?
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:17
I think it has something to do with the cooking temperature ? I'm not sure, sorry.
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:10
Where did my post go??? Saying why no bird-stuffing? :confused:
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:09
Of trying to stuff a turkey inside one? :thinking: I was peering in the freezers in the supermarket pondering how to jam it in. :lol: Head first with the a**e end hanging out :lol: Sorry
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:07
Funny you should post this question, because I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago. After doing some research, it appears that you can cook the turkey in there, but it's best to brown the skin before adding it to the crock pot , I really can't be bothered to do that, to much washing up ! , and do not stuff the bird. I often do whole roast chickens in there, so I suppose it's not much different .
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:04
Any supermarket freezer. Lots of big, chunky ones. :P
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:02
On a related topic: where can I get a nice big turkey?
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:01
No, when you crock-pot it cooks in steam so things stay very moist. :evil:
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:00
Of trying to stuff a turkey inside one? :thinking: I was peering in the freezers in the supermarket pondering how to jam it in. :lol:
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 15:59
Sorry I can't help with the crock-potting, but I now have a rather peculiar image in my head ;) On a more serious note, would it not dry out too much cooking it this way?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY