School assessments - outcomes | ExpatWoman.com

School assessments - outcomes

Latest post on 02 September 2016 - 10:33
Glowing candle, which nurturing school did you choose?
Latest post on 26 June 2016 - 23:47
We're sorry ladies, as per our forum rules please do not share any personal contact information on this platform. You are welcome to use this platform to communicate together, or perhaps you could join us on one of our weekly coffee mornings :)! We look forward to seeing you at our coffee meets soon :)! EW Admin
Latest post on 25 January 2016 - 20:22
ha! I hope it's not about the passport! But I wouldn't be surprised if it were.... So frustrating! Or maybe they're making an extra buck off the registration fees/assessment fees? they tried putting us on for another 'assessment' in March. AS IF! Just to kick me when I'm already down? No, thanks! Besides, after I got over it, I have come to a huge realisation that it's definitely the school's loss! And i'm not just saying it coz he's my son, but because I have worked at a kindergarten for a few years and I'm looking at it through those lens. Have you looked into Raffles? what curriculum were you after?
Latest post on 24 January 2016 - 21:50
hey ladeelay, we just got the negative outcome today and I cried! So you're not the only one. I cried because I was just so angry! my son is ahead academically, numbers,, alphabets, shape, colours, continents, days of the week, etc etc. he knows them all. BUT, he is shy in new surroundings, as most kids would be and that stopped him from doing all the activities. I wasn't given any reasons as to why it was declined, but I'm guessing that's what it was. On top of that, yours is a June baby, as is mine, so they're probably the youngest FS2s in the classroom. I would love for mine to repeat so he can build his confidence, i think being the youngest in the class, he is overshadowed by the older kids? I'm so upset, my husband doesn't understand why, I just am. Not because of anything else, just because how unfair the system is. Big hug Ladida. I can't believe these schools. I am still looking and have no clue what to do. I had a "gems" school on my list and found out today we weren't even shortlisted based on the application!!! A piece of paper that I fill in generic details about my child. We are Indians so now I'm going to start assuming its about the passport we hold. If that's the case then shame on all of these schools and their management. Feel totally helpless right now. Any suggestions of schools with availability would be highly appreciated.
Latest post on 20 January 2016 - 20:25
hey ladeelay, we just got the negative outcome today and I cried! So you're not the only one. I cried because I was just so angry! my son is ahead academically, numbers,, alphabets, shape, colours, continents, days of the week, etc etc. he knows them all. BUT, he is shy in new surroundings, as most kids would be and that stopped him from doing all the activities. I wasn't given any reasons as to why it was declined, but I'm guessing that's what it was. On top of that, yours is a June baby, as is mine, so they're probably the youngest FS2s in the classroom. I would love for mine to repeat so he can build his confidence, i think being the youngest in the class, he is overshadowed by the older kids? I'm so upset, my husband doesn't understand why, I just am. Not because of anything else, just because how unfair the system is.
Latest post on 17 December 2015 - 12:01
Laydeelay - I feel your pain. We are going through the assessment processes at the moment for FS1 and it's quite a stressful time for parents and it's so unfair because they are so young! One of our options we are considering is to keep him at his current nursery for FS1 because the environment is so nurturing and a bit more relaxed although it's still quite academic. Maybe consider looking at a nursery for FS1 as this will take the pressure off all of you and will allow your child to develop in an environment you're happy with. Good luck with it all and know you're not the only one!
Latest post on 02 December 2015 - 01:08
He's born in June and we applied for FS2. The school is Safa Private. Another child at his nursery got the same assessment. Plan B is to try at as many schools as I can - and hope that he gets into one that will help him during these formative years. Glowingcandle.. may I ask which school your child goes to? My DD goes to Nord Anglia. Sadly Laydeelay Nord Anglia is pretty much full all the time (my children also go there). It might be worth putting your little one into a different school while waiting for a place. A lot of people are doing this now and holding a place on the waiting list. A lot of schools do have places in FS1 and it's doesn't mean they are "bad" schools, just not as good as the best ones. I wouldn't lose hope, where there is a will, there is a way.
Latest post on 29 November 2015 - 22:24
He's born in June and we applied for FS2. The school is Safa Private. Another child at his nursery got the same assessment. Plan B is to try at as many schools as I can - and hope that he gets into one that will help him during these formative years. Glowingcandle.. may I ask which school your child goes to?
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 19:14
Can you name the school? it could also shed some light. It is ridiculous beyond belief how they can say a child is not socially ready for FS1. I would say that most children are not ready for FS1 (personally think its too young but hey). Do you have a plan B? what month is your LO born in?
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 12:13
I completely agree, the system is a bit messed up. My daughter is one of the youngest in her class and is also very shy, so she didnt do well on her FS1 assessment last year. I do think it's unfair to assess them on 10 minutes where they are separated from their parents, in a new environment, new teachers and new kids. Most kids would freak out. For my daughter i moved her to Little Gems for FS1, so that her FS2 assessments will be done at the nursery and also be based on her teachers report. I think this is a much better system for assessments. If you're happy with your child attending a GEMS school, then this could be an option for you.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 09:59
It really makes me angry, how can a school make this judgement based on a short assessment with 10 other children. They are really just small children! I went through the same thing, my DD is a shy child, thankfully I found a nurturing school for her, she still isn't socially mature but is improving day by day and is doing great academically. I would suggest ignore these remarks and try another school. I don't think holding him back would serve any purpose.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 20:29
It wasn't a gems school. They got back saying he is not "socially ready" So what does this mean? Do I hold him back a year? Does he re-do FS1?
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 09:18
Hi I know it's really stressful :( Most of the popular schools are full though and have waiting lists. Is it a GEMS school? If it is, I think you can call and follow up on why your child's assessment was unsuccessful. Don't take it personally, most likely it's just a space issue, you will probably have a better chance applying to one of the new schools. Good luck!
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 09:18
Hi Ladeelay, try not to take this personally, although I do understand it is very upsetting. You are entitled to and should ask the school for specific feedback, namely, in what area did your child not perform to their standards. What year was your child being assessed for (I assume FS seeing as its the first assessment). FS1 and FS2 are the most oversubscribed years in Dubai unfortunately. There are many lovely schools here now, you will get the right place for your child, unfortunately there are sometimes many hoops to jump through to achieve this. :(
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 21:22
So we just finished our first assessment and got an "unsuccessful" outcome - it's heartbreaking! Didn't know I would actually take this so personally :( What does that even mean? That my child was not good enough? They had limited seats and I may get a shot if someone gives up their spot?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY