If you make unpleaant or sarcastic comments should you be surprised and upset if you get someone to bite back? | ExpatWoman.com

If you make unpleaant or sarcastic comments should you be surprised and upset if you get someone to bite back?

Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 21:49

Very happy childhood, thank you.
Bit old and had chemo so no PMT anymore, luckily.

We always told our children to work hard and get well qualified if they wanted later affluence - I always said I had no problem with them choosing to be a hairdresser as long as it was a conscious choice and not something they had to do because they hadn't got the grades to reach their dream. One of them wanted to do performing arts -musical theatre - we supported but made sure they knew most people choosing that line of work were part time waiters. How does my husband make his money - Law.

I take the point about dust and hadn't really thought of that. We may get a live out cleaner.

Typo's poor grammar - yes, sadly a smartphone and crowded British Rail trains make accuracy near on impossible.

I made a Christmas wreath yesterday. Now that is exciting. What is Christmas in Dubai like?

Latest post on 28 November 2015 - 20:21
Tessa, from the terminology you use in your post about Christmas I gather that although a Catholic you also have some connection with the Anglican church. Just to say that this also happens here amongst western Catholics who, from a cultural point of view enjoy aspects of the Anglican church (thinking Jebel Ali in particular) whilst also maintaining religious observances at the much larger catholic churches.
Latest post on 28 November 2015 - 02:11
Buddha I suspect she'll enjoy it more than us- but you never know!
Latest post on 28 November 2015 - 01:17
Lol..my daughter is 11 so not quite at the stage of working for the radio station.
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 23:08
And I do hope my children have emotional intelligence too. They seem to be good communicators and I certainly would never judge success by income.
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 23:06
See, small world! Yes we do have VIP tickets but I think nearly everyone does. Does she work for the radio station?
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 22:14
No idea what's going on here. I'm spending the weekend watching vh1's feelgood Friday
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 21:52
OP ....my daughter is going to that concert tomorrow..you may bump into her. She is lucky enough to have ticket for the VIP area which is obviously where you will be. Re Hairdressing...despite the fact that I have a degree and a Masters , my hair dresser is self employed and earns more in an hour than I earn in a half day's days gainful paid employment. There are many ways of categorising intelligence..not just academic ability...in many respects emotional intelligence is something I would encourage and instill in my kids above academic intelligence.
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 21:14
I fully accept it is some peoples dream to be a hairdresser. I said I would happily support my children if that was their dream but only if it was a conscious and well researched choice not if they did it because they hadn't got the qualifications follow their actual dream. Are hairdressers well qualified? I suppose that could be unpicked and it is relative. In uk most hairdressers do a 2 year course at fe college having got some GCSEs they may well do more courses and end up as very well qualified hairdressers but I have rarely met any with good A level/IB results or decent degrees from a Russell group. Academically snobbish? Possibly as I did/do expect my children to leave school with high academic grades, a vision for their future and demonstrable success in extracurricular activities such as music, dance or sport. Probably makes me a bad mother on here!
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 18:31
Nothing's been deleted - the content of the opening post just doesn't have anything to do with the thread title !! lol It's what's commonly known in the world of social media as "click bait".
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 18:11
^^^ Ahahaha! OK fair enough. How thoughtful of her (!)
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 18:05
Have some posts been deleted from this thread or something? I'm clearly missing something.. I don't know but it seems that OP decided to start a new thread as a continuation to her previous one as she felt our pain of scrolling down then moving to the last page to read the updates looool
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 17:49
Have some posts been deleted from this thread or something? I'm clearly missing something..
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 17:39
You obviously didn't see the personal insults on the other thread !! These days we tend to watch the Vicar of Dibley Christmas Special on the TV rather than live it in our own village but yes, Christmas here is essentially the same as our Christmas at home. The churches offer Christmas Eve mass although you won't be encouraged to bring booze - you can have plenty when you get home !! lol The schools put on plays and concerts and there are lots of choral and musical performances throughout December. There is a list of Santa's grottos as long as your arm and all the malls are decorated beautifully. Most of the stores are playing Christmas music already. I cook Christmas dinner the same as always and have no trouble getting nice fruit and veg plus delicious turkey etc. It can be a bit chilly so although a log fire won't be necessary I know lots of people who have electric heaters and blankets are a must !! Obviously you won't be watching the Queen at 3pm anymore - it will be 7pm by which time you will be well oiled !! lol Swimming I think will be reserved for only the most hardy amongst us - we never have!! But I can't think of anything we miss. With regard to insulting the hairdressing profession I felt that "something they had to do because they hadn't got the grades to reach their dream" was implying that hairdressers have poor grades which of course isn't true. And actually I've met many hairdressers for whom their chosen path is very much something they always dreamt of doing.... With your previously stated housing allowance you will have ample space to accommodate all your children and their friends so I'm not sure why you are asking....
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 16:42
People complain how boring EW is then when new posters come along everyone starts being nasty. No wonder it's boring on here.
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 16:24
I really can't imagine Christmas in Dubai is the same as Christmas here. We start with the village nativity play which begins with the vicar in the pub - and a real sheep with Christmas lights on. We sing carols and process up to the church where the play continues and becomes a slightly more serious service - people bring their drinks as the vicar prefers that people attend even if they are under the influence. He very rightly points to the wedding feast of Cannan as evidence that drink and religion are OK, We go back to friends for supper and silly games - all the children get on as they have grown up together. Christmas day is stockings then Mass, drinks at other friend's house and then a walk before Christmas lunch at about 4pm after the Queen. Then we do presents in front of the fire. Boxing day is a walk tor see the hunt leave then a drinks party for our neighbours and friends. Lovely. Dubai I am seeing more swimming than walking and a roaring fire being slightly inappropriate. Smartphones - given them by my work and essential to see all the test results etc I need. Even fairly old people can be IT literate, surprisingly. BR trains - how else do people get to London? Not a pleasure certainly but has to be done. I don't think I insulted hairdressers as I said I was happy for my children to be one if that was what they wanted but I wanted them to make a positive choice about their adult lives not have to do something because they didn't get the grades to follow their dreams. I think some people may be actively seeking offence and looking to create confrontation that in reality doesn't exist. I am about to upset your image of me by telling you I am going to a pop concert tomorrow -although in fairness I have never heard of the acts and I am worried it is a bit loud. My children tell me it is an amazing line up - Years and Years (seems appropriate) Jess Glynne (??) Sigma ( I thought that fraternity house) The Vamps and John Newman (I thought he was a beatified cardinal). No idea what I should wear as I can't see me in micro shorts and a glittery crop top. Any news on how we should accommodate the children and partners in a much smaller (but clearly more acceptable) house? Trouble with sand is it really doesn't hold tent pegs well.
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 15:25
Tessa, as you have apparently "flaunted" your wealth and success too many seem to feel that they have every right to have a dig in a way or another. I think some were expecting to you to just take it and disappear quietly. Or even better, come back after months and tell that things weren't so rosy after all. I think you have a right to bite back if you want to. Don't worry, not all are like that. There are people here who don't strive to fit into the stereotypes.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 23:44
So what happened to Thursday nights on here ?
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 22:54
ok, apart from the weather !! lolol Sorry couldn't resist :P
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 22:10
ok, apart from the weather !! lolol
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 22:08
Way to go...insult the entire hairdressing profession lol Somehow whoever Tessa is doesn't seem the type to be using smartphones or public transport - unless it's First Class !! Christmas in Dubai is the same as Christmas in the UK. Rain, snow and slush DT ;)
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 22:07
Way to go...insult the entire hairdressing profession lol Somehow whoever Tessa is doesn't seem the type to be using smartphones or public transport - unless it's First Class !! Christmas in Dubai is the same as Christmas in the UK.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 22:02
Don't take the bait!! Don't take the bait!! Don't take the bait!! Don't take the bait!!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY