Warning: taxi driver scam | ExpatWoman.com

Warning: taxi driver scam

Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 09:26

My husband didn't have any cash on him yesterday for the taxi home, so I met with him (while he was sat in the taxi still) outside our building once he'd arrived. I'd handed over 100 Dhs note as the journey was 77. Expecting 20 dhs change...

Literally it must have been a split second of my husband and I talking to one another when the taxi driver pulled out a 10 dhs note claiming I'd only given him that. My husband at first was like "babe you've only given him a 10" but I was 150% positively sure I'd handed over 100. Which I had cos it was no longer in my purse and I checked multiple times while stood there.

Taxi driver of course tried to lie until I began to raise my voice and eventually gave us our 20 dhs change. Not sure whether to ring RTA but just putting it out there on here!!

Imagine if we had been drunk the guy could have been 200dhs up!!! Grrrrr

Has anyone ever experienced that before?

Latest post on 29 November 2015 - 12:27
I think you should report it. I try to ignore a lot of the things the taxi drivers here do and say, because life is hard for them, but I think such blatant dishonesty needs to be reported.
Latest post on 29 November 2015 - 11:38
I recently had something similar happen at the petrol station. I'd pulled a little too forward so couldn't see the meter. He told me it was 95dh, but I knew it was impossible to put more than 80 into my car. I asked him to check and he said yes 95dh, but when I went to get out of the car, he said oh no, it's 75dh. I'm just a bit more wary now. FFx I have had this happen before. Once I stupidly didn't check the pump and paid the additional amount only later realising I had overpaid, and then the second time I noticed it (because I now never drive off without checking) and called the guy out for it. I didn't formally report it though, probably should have done.
Latest post on 29 November 2015 - 10:48
of course you report it! you get his name and number off the information sheet in the back of the taxi and let RTA know they have a thief working for them. Forget about drunk people eh,, think about the woman who is unsure and takes him at his word...this guy needs to be reported. As a matter fact, if you 'think' he should be reported you need to do it. Just to add. A good habit to get into, especially when you are alone is the minute you get in the taxi, put his information in your Iphone and mail it to someone. I called RTA on Friday when I had chance, I had managed to get a picture of his taxi number and registration plate as he was waiting to pull off so they came in handy! And yes you're right! There's been a few times when I've been on my own in a taxi and texted said husband with "just in case... i'm in taxi so and so" ha. Ah well! Thanks everyone else - sounds like I'm not the only one who has almost or definitely fallen victim to the little scams they play. I just couldn't believe the cheek of it! I actually think I asked him do you think I'm daft!!!? I walked away completely baffled he'd actually tried doing it! @mumto2, that's a good idea. I always feel mean when I count my change when they return it too but hey ho, will start counting when I get it to them!
Latest post on 29 November 2015 - 10:34
I got shortchanged once. Now, I count the amount I'm giving them in front of them whether it's ten 10AED bills or one 100AED bill.
Latest post on 29 November 2015 - 10:31
I recently had something similar happen at the petrol station. I'd pulled a little too forward so couldn't see the meter. He told me it was 95dh, but I knew it was impossible to put more than 80 into my car. I asked him to check and he said yes 95dh, but when I went to get out of the car, he said oh no, it's 75dh. I'm just a bit more wary now. FFx
Latest post on 29 November 2015 - 10:00
Yes, I've had the similar sort of scenario of short changing'>.... Especially when theyre trying to drop you somewhere where you have to get out in a hurry, I sat back in the taxi and said this is a 10 dhs note not a 20 .... (same colour) . I now ask for a receipt each time I take a taxi, so I have their taxi details, for just in case.
Latest post on 28 November 2015 - 20:00
I once paid 500 Dhs for 10 Dhs ride after few glasses of wine. He made me believe I paid only 50 and he gave me 40 Dhs only :\:
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 12:03
of course you report it! you get his name and number off the information sheet in the back of the taxi and let RTA know they have a thief working for them. Forget about drunk people eh,, think about the woman who is unsure and takes him at his word...this guy needs to be reported. As a matter fact, if you 'think' he should be reported you need to do it. Just to add. A good habit to get into, especially when you are alone is the minute you get in the taxi, put his information in your Iphone and mail it to someone.
Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 10:25
I've had drives short change me when I've not been paying attention. However, getting infuriated with drivers refusing to drive me home because of where I live. I've had to report three of them now for refusing a fare.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY