What would you do? | ExpatWoman.com

What would you do?

Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 09:28

There's a cleaner in our building, I've seen him around a couple years, possibly from Bangladesh.

This morning as I was in the lift he took out this very old and tatty phone with a picture of his teenage son with a broken leg. In broken English he said "son, school".
I knew he was asking for some money, but I didn't have my bag with me, so I said "I am sorry about your son" and left.

Now I am thinking perhaps I should go and find him and give him some money, but I am in two minds.

What would you do? Would you give him something? How much, 20, 50, 100, 500 or more perhaps?

or do you think if I give him something now, he'll continually pester me. I could give him something and say Khalas.

There's no doubt about it that this man is very poor.

Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 17:55
Thanks ladies, I went looking for him with a couple hundred but his shift finished at 10am. :) Bless you, I believe in giving to the low paid here in Dubai, as I know that money is going straight to charity without middle hands. Me too Silvstet. :)
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 16:26
Thanks ladies, I went looking for him with a couple hundred but his shift finished at 10am. :) Bless you, I believe in giving to the low paid here in Dubai, as I know that money is going straight to charity without middle hands.
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 14:26
Thanks ladies, I went looking for him with a couple hundred but his shift finished at 10am. :)
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 14:08
I would give him money. Not too much, say 50 or 100 dhs, but I would do it more often and at a time I choose (Eid etc.). I give regularly to the guy that sweeps our street and he never ever asks, but is obviously touched and happy by the gift.
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 12:49
You are clearly kind. Do what you believe to be right - rarely does kindness create problems.
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 09:39
Yes I have been thinking about him. I have left clothes and food/bags of rice out for him in the past, but this is the first time he has approached me for money.
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 09:37
Doing a good deed is doing a good deed. If you are comfortable that this man is poor, then whether he uses the money for his son, or even for himself, then I would have no hesitation giving him money. How much you give is a personal decision. I'm sure that 10 dhs will be appreciated so that he can buy something to eat, and if you choose to give him more then that it would make a difference to his family. I don't think you should not give him just because you are worried he will ask for more, there is too much poverty in this world and many of us are very privileged. The more we give the better. Given that you are still thinking about this man should be enough for you to know what the right thing to do is.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY