Moving to Dubai-looking for suggestions | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Dubai-looking for suggestions

Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 18:13

Hi everyone! My family ( husband and 18 month old son) are relocating to Dubai from the US on a two year contract in late Jan. or early Feb. Hubs and I were there in Sept. to check it out and look at housing options with our relocation consultant. We live in the suburbs here and are looking for a totally new experience. We liked the JBR area and I was wondering if anyone lived there and had feedback. Hubs isn't concerned about the commute as he currently has a 40 min commute here. I'm leaving my career in logistics to take advantage of the opportunity to spend time with our son so I don't have a commute to worry about either. I want to make sure we have access to shops within walking distance and play areas for my son (indoor or outdoor). We looked at villas in the Springs but I felt like I might be more isolated there and honestly felt it was too similar to our current suburban lifestyle but I'm looking for feedback and alternate suggestions. Our budget is roughly 150000 Dhs.

Latest post on 01 December 2015 - 11:06
Going from JBR to an office at the Trade Centre on public transport will take an hour there and the same back. I would look into Downtown /Business bay area, it will cut the commute by half. I agree with Silsvet. Two hours spent in traffic is two hours less spent with the family. Downtown area is very nice, why not look at that.
Latest post on 01 December 2015 - 06:26
Going from JBR to an office at the Trade Centre on public transport will take an hour there and the same back. I would look into Downtown /Business bay area, it will cut the commute by half.
Latest post on 01 December 2015 - 05:17
Thanks Amelia! Our relocation consultant showed us a couple of units in Murjan 1 which we quite liked and we stayed at the Sofitel right across the The Walk and we really liked that area. Now that we are getting closer to the actual move I want to make sure we aren't limiting our search based on our short visit. Tallybalt thanks for the Downtown suggestion. I've been looking into it and I think we will include that in our search when we arrive. :-)
Latest post on 01 December 2015 - 02:20
We have just relocated to the UK having lived in JBR for seven and a half years and loved it but I do think you have to choose carefully which sector you decide to live in. We had a very spacious two bedroomed apartment with a totally separate kitchen in Amwaj 3 which I think would now cost about 150-160,000. Supermarkets nearby as well as pharmacies, beauty salons, etc. You will find nurseries, play areas and lots of young mums. So much on your doorstep and the big advantage of the beach just over the road. Never had an issue with the traffic as we were close to the bridge that lead to the Sheikh Zayed Road. We had friends who worked Downtown and they used the tram to connect with the metro. Enjoy your time in Dubai, we did, it's a fantastic place to live.
Latest post on 01 December 2015 - 01:01
The metro is efficient and runs frequently with trains every few minutes to at most 7-8 minutes outside peak hour. It's spotlessly clean, shiny and impressive. Marina to WTC metro stop is 30 minutes but it's an easy ride and only marginally slower than driving due to the traffic. If you live within a block or two of a metro stop it could be the ideal set up. I'd advise that he gets a Gold Class card as the regular class (Silver) can get crowded. The metro doesn't go everywhere but it does get you to many places. Even if he drives and there are places you want to go that aren't handy to a metro stop, taxis are common and cheap and quite reliable. By the way, there are many young families in the Marina too. Going for strolls around the Marina promenade or along JBR Walk you will run into quite a few young mothers and toddlers too. Great! When I arrive I'll be on the lookout for new friends so it will be nice to see other moms out and about!
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 22:30
The metro is efficient and runs frequently with trains every few minutes to at most 7-8 minutes outside peak hour. It's spotlessly clean, shiny and impressive. Marina to WTC metro stop is 30 minutes but it's an easy ride and only marginally slower than driving due to the traffic. If you live within a block or two of a metro stop it could be the ideal set up. I'd advise that he gets a Gold Class card as the regular class (Silver) can get crowded. The metro doesn't go everywhere but it does get you to many places. Even if he drives and there are places you want to go that aren't handy to a metro stop, taxis are common and cheap and quite reliable. By the way, there are many young families in the Marina too. Going for strolls around the Marina promenade or along JBR Walk you will run into quite a few young mothers and toddlers too.
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 21:19
Thanks for the suggestions! My husbands company is leasing us one car and I think We are going to try to stick with that. How is the metro system? I've used the metro in London Paris and Washington DC during vacations but we don't have a metro system where we live. My husbands office is at the World Trade Center metro stop so he is thinking of taking the metro to work if we live near a stop so that I have the car during the days.
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 21:05
Welcome to Dubai! Downtown is a lovely area, really, quite lovely. And another great area to live in is the Greens/Views, which is very close to the Marina. It's green with parks between the buildings and a pretty lake to walk around and children's play areas. The towers have wonderful views. Those two are probably my favorite areas for a more urbanized living environment in Dubai. But I will say if you don't intend to have a car of your own (other than your husband's) living in the Marina is probably your best option because of the easy metro access. You can hop on the metro and whip down to various big malls and other places and within the Marina you have so many dining options and coffee shops and of course, the beach. The tram runs around the Marina making it ideal for hot weather when you don't want to walk too far. Another feasible option is JLT, which is right opposite the Marina. There's a lovely lakefront promenade with many very reasonably priced and quite good restaurants and parks and children's play areas. And it's just across from the Marina via the metro bridges. Your money will go further in JLT. I will say, however, pick your tower carefully in the Marina (or JLT). Unlike Downtown where all the towers are more or less of the same quality, the Marina towers vary greatly.
Latest post on 30 November 2015 - 20:00
Hi Ace630, did you have a look in the Downtown area near Dubai Mall? Nice green areas to walk to, indoor play centers plus the Aquarium in the Mall to visit with your son and of course great shopping. I live Downtown with my 18mnth old son and don't drive or work (hubby works and drives) and I have always got something to do or see and keep my son amused. We live in a two bed apartment 8min walk from the Mall and we pay 137000. Good Luck with your move :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY