Menopause - medication | ExpatWoman.com

Menopause - medication

Latest post on 01 December 2015 - 17:19

Hi there. I've recently been told by my doctor that I'm in menopause, having had all the relevant blood tests and a scan. She has prescribed a 3 month course of Bio-identical HRT (compounded) medication. I'm really not convinced that taking BHRT is the right path to go down. These drugs are expensive, classed as alternative, not proven to help medically and may in fact have the same side effects as HRT. I will be seeking a second opinion but I'd be interested to know if there's anyone out there that has experience with BHRT, good or bad. TIA.

Latest post on 06 December 2015 - 13:17
I have been on and off BHRT for some years now. I do not have a problem with them but do not take them everyday... They certainly helped with the hot flashes, vag dryness and thinning labia...etc...I am 65 this month and still take them but as I said not every day...only 3x a week, sometimes only 2x's. I think you need to ask yourself why your Dr. is considering putting you on any hormone replacement? are you having a hard time in menopause? what are your symptoms and will Bhrt help with those? how is your diet and excersize regime..do you take a multivit...have you had a blood panel to see if you are deficient in any vits. I feel there is a whole lot to consider before going on anything. Do not just research Bhrt but research options in menopause and how to get through it. Now, if your symptoms are upsetting you then yes, it might be the way to go for 3 months. that really is not a long time and can alleviate the symptoms but remember menopause lasts longer than 3 months lol... but it might get you to a place where you can deal with it changing diet and exercise. Anyway, as I said, I am on bhrt infrequently now. I talked to my Dr. about the age women live to now and really, our bodies should just get with the program and not go through menopause until 70 lol..then who gives a s hit lol.... Does BHRT help with tiredness/extreme tiredness in the "older" woman? How much is it exactly? Thanks
Latest post on 06 December 2015 - 09:08
yes, very expensive here. I get a 6 month supply from Canada.
Latest post on 05 December 2015 - 19:49
Yes, in Healthcare City. It's called the Antiaging Compounding Pharmacy (ACP). It's tricky it being the only place they can be obtained - at the moment it is closed for refurbishment, so I have had to be prescribed normal artificial HRT from the pharmacy. There is a huge difference in price between standard HRT and bio-identical HRT here. Last time 3 months supply of compounded hormones cost me over 1,000 dirhams, versus 31 dirhams for A pack (1 months supply) of artificial combined estrogen/progesterone at the pharmacy yesterday!
Latest post on 05 December 2015 - 18:07
at Healthcare city. there is only one place here to get it. I cannot remember how much but not cheap.
Latest post on 05 December 2015 - 09:43
[b'>Nomad [/b'>and [b'>SueB[/b'>, may I ask where you get your BHRT from and how much you pay? Thanks.
Latest post on 04 December 2015 - 12:19
I have been on and off BHRT for some years now. I do not have a problem with them but do not take them everyday... They certainly helped with the hot flashes, vag dryness and thinning labia...etc...I am 65 this month and still take them but as I said not every day...only 3x a week, sometimes only 2x's. I think you need to ask yourself why your Dr. is considering putting you on any hormone replacement? are you having a hard time in menopause? what are your symptoms and will Bhrt help with those? how is your diet and excersize regime..do you take a multivit...have you had a blood panel to see if you are deficient in any vits. I feel there is a whole lot to consider before going on anything. Do not just research Bhrt but research options in menopause and how to get through it. Now, if your symptoms are upsetting you then yes, it might be the way to go for 3 months. that really is not a long time and can alleviate the symptoms but remember menopause lasts longer than 3 months lol... but it might get you to a place where you can deal with it changing diet and exercise. Anyway, as I said, I am on bhrt infrequently now. I talked to my Dr. about the age women live to now and really, our bodies should just get with the program and not go through menopause until 70 lol..then who gives a s hit lol....
Latest post on 02 December 2015 - 17:35
Nomad, no need to be so defensive! I was merely asking if anyone has had experience with BHRT, either good or bad. I have not yet made up my mind on whether to go down this path and will keep an open mind while I research further. The facts are that BHRT is not recognised by many medical bodies, including the FDA and that it is classified as an alternative medicine that has not been definitively established through scientific testing. So on this basis I am interested to hear any stories - yes it is my body (and my wallet) and that's why I'm taking this seriously! Defensive.........You asked for experiences, I gave you mine. I tried regular HRT.......disaster, did research on BHRT, it worked, simple as that.
Latest post on 02 December 2015 - 17:08
HRT has its place but it is never without complications - menopause is a normal process and will eventually catch up with every woman. If you want something 'natural' (and there is little more natural than oestrogen and progesterone for women) as a way of relieving menopausal symptoms try Black Kohosh and a chillow. NB Do not take Black Kohosh if using Tamoxifen.
Latest post on 02 December 2015 - 11:00
Nomad, no need to be so defensive! I was merely asking if anyone has had experience with BHRT, either good or bad. I have not yet made up my mind on whether to go down this path and will keep an open mind while I research further. The facts are that BHRT is not recognised by many medical bodies, including the FDA and that it is classified as an alternative medicine that has not been definitively established through scientific testing. So on this basis I am interested to hear any stories - yes it is my body (and my wallet) and that's why I'm taking this seriously!
Latest post on 01 December 2015 - 18:40
It seems like you have made up your mind about BHRT. Do yourself a big favour and research HRT, see where the ingredients for a very popular dryness cream for certain " areas " comes from....... Just one example. My BHRT Progesterone and Estrodial are made primarily from jams and soy, have been on them for 5+ years. Yes I have gained a bit of weight and they are more expensive than regular HRT but I am particular about what I put into my body and will forgo other luxuries to make sure I can afford my BHRT. Not sure where you got the information that BHRT is "not proven to help medically " news to me as I am walking proof ! But hey it's your body...........

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY