Cause for Concern or not? | ExpatWoman.com

Cause for Concern or not?

Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 10:45
Hi Cleo4e! My answer to your post is definitely not a concern though. As long as you are not having pain, serious bleeding, you can wait until the 10th week to be checked and scanned. Just take vitamins for the baby which is folic acid. I took Pregnacare when I was at your stage. Could relate with all day sickie. However, I experienced that when I was on my 14th week-18th week of pregnancy and oh my, it was really hard. My OB doctor told me though that it's perfectly a sign of a normal pregnancy and it might be a way to also bond with your child inside. Talk to your tummy bump and share this experience. You'll be surprised your baby might do you a favor to help your hormones be normal again :biggrin:
Latest post on 05 January 2016 - 08:48
Just to add ..don't forget to take folic acid.
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 16:08
Oh thanks Lana! I had no idea I could do that. I was under the impression she had to send them a request for an ultra sound. Thanks for letting me know. It's my first pregnancy in Dubai so still not sure how it all works.
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 12:57
Hi Cleo4e, firstly congratulations on your pregnancy! Just to let you know you can go to the Fetal Centre in Healthcare City for private scans if you do want to get a quick check up. I have a history of miscarriage so have used them previously and taken their report to Elsa who has always valued their input. Just another option you may want to consider but like the other posters say, don't worry if you just want to wait and see Elsa.
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 10:03
Thanks Ladies! Really appreciate the re-assurance. I have no reason to think anything is wrong, but in Canada, my OB gave me a scan at 7-8 weeks to look for a heartbeat and just make sure everything is on track and that's a pretty common procedure. I guess I was just expecting that as well. It's true though, a scan at this point won't tell a whole lot anyways. Thank you for the advice on morning sickness. I've tried every remedy under the sun, but nothing has worked so far :( It's just completely incapacitating. I guess I just need to ride it out, *sigh* the joys of motherhood.
Latest post on 03 January 2016 - 19:41
Couch potato is right. In UK we advise booking around 12 weeks with monthly checks until around 34 weeks if all is well. Scans do not alter outcome of pregnancy and there is very little that can be done to improve foetal outcomes so early in pregnancy (apart from not smoking, exercise and avoiding alcohol and infectious diseases that are teratogenic). The only reason for early scanning is if pregnancy is in doubt and to date if a termination is being considered. Even dating is not very accurate at this stage. Morning sickness is a bore but usually signifies high circulating hormone levels - a good thing. Ginger nut biscuits first thing, sea sickness bands and avoiding greasy food might help but it usually settles by 14 weeks. Only an issue if no fluids are being kept down. The lemon trick is good as is a plastic bag with a cloth with bleach on to sniff when feeling nauseated. Smoke from other people's cigarettes tends to aggravate it - almost as if baby knows what is good for it. Many women in UK do not see a doctor or midwife until 20 weeks plus and deliver healthy babies - although this does reduce timeframe for anomaly scans and management.
Latest post on 03 January 2016 - 17:10
Hi Cleo, don't worry, it's normal in Dubai to have lots of tests and scans but in other countries most people don't have things done until 12 weeks. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon to give proper advice!. Just wanted to sympathise with you about your all day sickness - been there and got the tshirt on that, have you tried ice lollies? Fresh ginger. The wrist band things from the pharmacy. Salty crisps. Carrying half a lemon around with you and smelling it. Fizzy drinks. Hope you feel better soon x
Latest post on 03 January 2016 - 16:32
Hi lovely ladies! So on November 22nd I tested positive for a pregnancy test done at DR. Elsa's clinic. I was told to come back when I was (approx) 7 weeks so we can have a scan done. 7 weeks for me fell during the holidays and her clinic only just reopened today. I'm estimating I'm midway through 8 weeks now and when I called to book an appointment they won't have a spot for me until I'm well into my 10th week of pregnancy. I have had no scans, no kind of follow up, I don't even know if all is well. All I've had is a positive blood test. I'm just wondering, isn't this a little long to go without any check up? I'm feeling a little anxious about it all, and i'm suffering from the most crippling morning sickness- thats actually all day sickness. I'm just wondering if anyone else has waited this long before seeing a Dr. Am I just anxious for nothing?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY