Sustainable City - Anybody already living there? | ExpatWoman.com

Sustainable City - Anybody already living there?

Latest post on 25 June 2016 - 05:59
I went for a look around this week - thinking about renting in the next phase of release which is June. It's quirky and the main attraction has to be the reduced DEWA bill. I am just a little concerned about the practicalities of the buggy when it's roasting hot and you have grumpy kids and lots of shopping. I am guessing you would need to pick your property carefully. I was told all the properties with garages were either already rented or sold. It would be interesting to see what DEWA bills look like for those who have already moved in. I am thinking that it may be worth a punt - if we don't like it then the contract is only 1 year. The community pool looked great. I went for a look in the weekend and the car parks are literally walking distance from the villas and you are driving past the villas to park, so I don't think it's a problem to drop off shopping etc. I wonder if those buggies actually will be used, as the community is small.
Latest post on 05 February 2016 - 15:41
How much is the rent?
Latest post on 04 February 2016 - 12:17
I went for a look around this week - thinking about renting in the next phase of release which is June. It's quirky and the main attraction has to be the reduced DEWA bill. I am just a little concerned about the practicalities of the buggy when it's roasting hot and you have grumpy kids and lots of shopping. I am guessing you would need to pick your property carefully. I was told all the properties with garages were either already rented or sold. It would be interesting to see what DEWA bills look like for those who have already moved in. I am thinking that it may be worth a punt - if we don't like it then the contract is only 1 year. The community pool looked great.
Latest post on 04 February 2016 - 11:24
Can you actually get cars etc to the villas at all ?
Latest post on 04 February 2016 - 11:11
Can someone explain about the no cars bit? Where do you leave your car? How do you get to your villa and how do you manage in the summer months or if carrying large amounts of bags/goods/kids? What about deliveries and couriers? We asked this very question, and were told that the golf cart would be used to courier your shopping from the car to your villa!!! There are car parks at the end of the street. Not sure how this this would work, given these golf carts are tiny, and what are your kids supposed to do,run behind them once the bags are loaded?? You certainly can not get a weeks worth of shopping in them!! The summer months would be unbearable, going back and forth. All seems a bit of a gimmick, a great idea in principle but does it work here in the UAE given the heat?? We were told some villas depending on location will have garages, I think they were the ones on the perimeter.
Latest post on 30 January 2016 - 18:49
Can someone explain about the no cars bit? Where do you leave your car? How do you get to your villa and how do you manage in the summer months or if carrying large amounts of bags/goods/kids? What about deliveries and couriers?
Latest post on 29 January 2016 - 07:34
Gems Motorcity, Safa Community school and Kings Al Barsha, Foremark, Gems Bradenton in Sports City, Nord Anglia and Gems in the villa community are all within reasonable driving distance. Jumeirah is far from SC.
Latest post on 28 January 2016 - 22:15
Hi, Thanks for the answer, my kids go to EIS in Jumeirah. I know there is a bus in Ranches and also in Layan. We will check on Sunday anyway with the transport company. I was in the area last Sunday and there was still a lot of work going on, is it fine or too much?
Latest post on 27 January 2016 - 18:54
Hi, Anybody is actually living there? I will move on first week of February and was wondering if there is any school bus working in the area for reference. I am also very curious about how the actual move went as the area is sort of car restricted. Has anybody who moved already could tell a bit about the experience? Thanks! Hi, we move in 30th Jan , unfortunalty no school buses as yet. They waiting to have enough children in order to come here. Which school will your little one attending? No cars allowed but if you need to offload from your car then you have to ask permission from sales offce to come in.
Latest post on 24 January 2016 - 16:17
Hi, Anybody is actually living there? I will move on first week of February and was wondering if there is any school bus working in the area for reference. I am also very curious about how the actual move went as the area is sort of car restricted. Has anybody who moved already could tell a bit about the experience? Thanks!
Latest post on 18 January 2016 - 09:53
What in particular did you like about it kkeene? Firstly, we were impressed with the design of the villas (which are actually townhouses), both from an architectural perspective as well as how they are finished. Admittedly, as the villas are new, you do not know entirely how they will work, but they certainly look like to be very liveable spaces! Secondly, we love the concept of Sustainable City. The idea of living in Dubai in an energy neutral neighbourhood is great, not to mention recycling (which I do not have in my current Emaar building), solar energy, electronic carts, and biodomes that deliver a weekly allotment of veg & herbs. Some of it might be a bit gimmicky (like the carts), but it sounds fun! We also have high hopes about lower monthly bills. Thirdly, we are hoping that the new community draws a cool group of people together and makes for a good neighbourhood dynamic. This is our first jaunt into the 'burbs, so we certainly hope so! : )
Latest post on 11 January 2016 - 23:43
My husband and I moved here from South africa 2 days ago. Will will be moving in SC end Jan and excited. Just wonding about the traffic to the city and peak hours if anyone knows the times? Have to drive to gems international on al khail road for my son then to the sheik Zayed road. Not looking forward to this. Thanks
Latest post on 11 January 2016 - 10:12
Hello to All, We are also looking at moving there later this year when the further phases will be finished, I was just wondering if anyone can confirm that effectively you are saving lots on the DEWA bill and that there are no other charges. We are presently in Arabian Ranches and the charges and DEWA are huge here Thanks a lot Agnes
Latest post on 10 January 2016 - 21:44
I live in Layan Community across from SC. Any idea if the road behind SC going to Al Qudra is ever going to open up? It is currently a dead end and means driving all the way around to Global Village to get home. Just curious.
Latest post on 10 January 2016 - 21:44
I live in Layan Community across from SC. Any idea if the road behind SC going to Al Qudra is ever going to open up? It is currently a dead end and means driving all the way around to Global Village to get home. Just curious.
Latest post on 09 January 2016 - 18:30
What in particular did you like about it kkeene?
Latest post on 08 January 2016 - 22:44
Hi, We're moving there in March 2016... We've been in Dubai 5 years and lived in Downtown in amazing places (incl BK) and SC is the only place we've encountered that has made us both WANT to live there..
Latest post on 05 January 2016 - 22:02
Hello, We are also moving the The SC soon and funnily enough i met a lady yesterday who had moved in a couple of weeks ago. She said that there are a high number of workers on site everyday, which is great. They have had a few smaller issues which has been dealt with quite quickly as the sales office and workers are right there. The lady said that they asked for a seal to be put under the front door as there is a bit of gap and for a second electrical socket for the kitchen as there is only one. This might be something to try and have arranged before you actually move in. The villas are so well planned but seriously, one socket in the kitchen?! The toster and the kettle will have to take turns ha ha Hope you have a stress free move:)
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 09:27
Hi, Happy new year to all! I am moving to phase 2 of Sustainable city at the end of the month and was informed that some families have already moved. The area still looks a bit desolated and I was wondering if someone is already living there to provide some insight. Thanks in advance!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY