Part-Time HouseMaid Woes: Where Am I Going Wrong?? | ExpatWoman.com

Part-Time HouseMaid Woes: Where Am I Going Wrong??

Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 14:53

What I need:

3-times a week 3-hour per day basic cleaning for a 3 BR 3 Bath Apartment

What I got:

Maids who don't/ won't/can't complete the work in 3 hours
Maids who CAN complete the work but leave out several places unclean.
Maids who CAN clean very well within the 3 hours but charge a ton of money (One cleaned it in 2 hours actually, but charged double the market rate).
Maids who CAN clean very well within the 3 hours and charge a ton of money but aren't regular i.e. new maid every week (apparently, they're too high on the demand list).
Maids who charge a double the money but don't/ won't/can't complete the work in 3 hours.

Also: Exceptionally rude, gum chewing maids (from a VERY reputable company) who act as if they're doing me a great favor.

What I understood:
My home is cleanable in 3 hours, but, I can't figure what's going wrong!!

I read/hear about happy customers and their happy part-time maids who arrange their laundry drawers; but in the last 4 months, I haven't found one maid who cleans the sink backsplash AND tucks in the bedsheets and does it at an affordable price.

What am I doing wrong? Is there any method in this mad maid world or is this how Dubai maids work or am I plain unlucky?

Any suggestions welcome as I'm at my wits end trying to navigate through the maid woes.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Latest post on 24 January 2022 - 15:41
I am reading your post in 2022, and I am shocked at how accurate this is (for me). Every word of your post resonates with my time spent in Dubai. it gives me a big relief to know that I am not alone facing this. I am now aware that there is something wrong with the maid industry in this city, and not me! Add to the above, I am also stunned at some of the more dishonest maids I have come across, who (unable to take feedback or even if I explain how I like something to be done ) start lashing out, stomping furniture or even tell their managers that the house owner was shouting at me. If someone is reading this in 2022, do tell if my maid woes seem strange to you? though i find that customers are treated very unfairly these days with these mean methods.
Latest post on 26 October 2016 - 16:38
Hi can someone please provide the website and contact number for Dubai Housekeeping as I'm having a hard time finding them. Thanks
Latest post on 25 September 2016 - 12:42
I have just tried Agatha and they have exceeded my expectations, as i have had bad experiences before with home cleaning companies and they did nothing but amazed me! The cleaners were so polite and clean and left the house spotless. I recommend you ladies to try them if you are looking for a five-star home cleaning services. I have made my booking through their website agathame.com Hope this helps :)
Latest post on 06 May 2016 - 15:06
What I need: 3-times a week 3-hour per day basic cleaning for a 3 BR 3 Bath Apartment What I got: Maids who don't/ won't/can't complete the work in 3 hours Maids who CAN complete the work but leave out several places unclean. Maids who CAN clean very well within the 3 hours but charge a ton of money (One cleaned it in 2 hours actually, but charged double the market rate). Maids who CAN clean very well within the 3 hours and charge a ton of money but aren't regular i.e. new maid every week (apparently, they're too high on the demand list). Maids who charge a double the money but don't/ won't/can't complete the work in 3 hours. Also: Exceptionally rude, gum chewing maids (from a VERY reputable company) who act as if they're doing me a great favor. What I understood: My home is cleanable in 3 hours, but, I can't figure what's going wrong!! I read/hear about happy customers and their happy part-time maids who arrange their laundry drawers; but in the last 4 months, I haven't found one maid who cleans the sink backsplash AND tucks in the bedsheets and does it at an affordable price. What am I doing wrong? Is there any method in this mad maid world or is this how Dubai maids work or am I plain unlucky? Any suggestions welcome as I'm at my wits end trying to navigate through the maid woes. Thanks a ton in advance. Heya! I just tried out this new cleaning company cleanmyspace.ae and they did a great job...I paid for 2 hours (which is their minimum) they sent over two maids and were able to finish in one hour but did a fairly thorough job. I was really impressed with their customer service, really friendly and professional. I highly recommend them :)
Latest post on 27 March 2016 - 11:09
st7--like Xn, I use dubai housekeeping also :) ha! May is great, didn't know there were two "Mays" there. I think actually at this point, like Xn said, most maids from dubai housekeeping are up to par. Hope this helps. Hi Beebers, I was wondering if it wouldn't be too much trouble to get the name of your maid. We just moved here and we've been through so many difficult experiences, I honestly don't know where to start, I thought it would be so much easier. After finally getting an apartment here and now on top of that the place needs to be cleaned because they couldn't care less to clean it before handing it over to us amongst other things. This is certainly not like home! :(
Latest post on 26 March 2016 - 16:21
Can someone please confirm that last 4 digits of the Dubai Housekeeping mobile tel? I'm messaging with someone with tel ending 5620. Just want to make sure they're the Dubai Housekeeping everyone is recommending :)
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 22:08
st7--like Xn, I use dubai housekeeping also :) ha! May is great, didn't know there were two "Mays" there. I think actually at this point, like Xn said, most maids from dubai housekeeping are up to par. Hope this helps.
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 14:19
I'm currently going through this too. Have tried 3 x different maids from the same company, so now think it's time I change company. But which one? I always prefer to work from recommendations. hi poshbird, I've been working with dubaihousekeeping since the time I've arrived to Dubai. It's been 1,5 years now, that I got services from heavy cleaning to kitchen assistance when I have guests. And this is not the first time I'm recommending them :) Btw, I've also tried other companies when I couldn't schedule help with dubaihousekeeping. As per my experience with around 5 different companies, I've found this one the most convenient. Customer service of the company is exceptional. Still, it comes to the point where the actual work is done by the maid herself. I've my regular, so that we get used to eachother in time and now everything is working like a clock. Just saying that it is a matter of fact that we're all coming from different cultures and habbits, so it is not also easy for the maids to perform at their bests from day 1 but it develops in time. I would recommend you to give it a try. Hope that helps :) can you recommend your cleaner please ? mine is going on holidays for 2 months thanks All of the cleaners that I've tried with dubaihousekeeping was good comparing to other agencies. With two of them it worked the best FOR ME: Sita and May Santillan (there're two cleaners named May)
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 13:20
I had a great experience with a maid service here, got lucky with a great maid out of the gate. It is a 4 hour minimum with this particular company, and I think she allocated the time perfectly. As time wore on, said maid in particular was getting booked up and it was harder to get appointments when I needed them, so I accepted an appointment with 2 maids who cleaned for 2 hours. Result was not good as the cleaning was not up to par and worse, they didn't listen when told to leave certain things alone. I spoke to the manager about it and he was determined to make it right; I think this is the difference, when the manager actually cares about customer service and satisfaction. He took the feedback seriously and wants all of his maids to be as good as they can be. Now when I call to book, he knows the level of cleaning that I expect and which maid(s) I would be happy with. If no one is available that day, he will tell me so, or, he will send someone and advise me to show them everything, not take for granted they will know what to do. It's just a fact that not all maids in the same service company are equally good. If you are able to find a service where the manager is frank about this, I believe this is the difference. But if you switch services every time you have a bad experience you can't really develop that rapport with the manager. beebers ,,can you recommend the company you use ? my cleaner is going on vacation soon - thanks
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 13:17
I'm currently going through this too. Have tried 3 x different maids from the same company, so now think it's time I change company. But which one? I always prefer to work from recommendations. hi poshbird, I've been working with dubaihousekeeping since the time I've arrived to Dubai. It's been 1,5 years now, that I got services from heavy cleaning to kitchen assistance when I have guests. And this is not the first time I'm recommending them :) Btw, I've also tried other companies when I couldn't schedule help with dubaihousekeeping. As per my experience with around 5 different companies, I've found this one the most convenient. Customer service of the company is exceptional. Still, it comes to the point where the actual work is done by the maid herself. I've my regular, so that we get used to eachother in time and now everything is working like a clock. Just saying that it is a matter of fact that we're all coming from different cultures and habbits, so it is not also easy for the maids to perform at their bests from day 1 but it develops in time. I would recommend you to give it a try. Hope that helps :) can you recommend your cleaner please ? mine is going on holidays for 2 months thanks
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 13:15
i have a maid from an agency who i absolutely adore ..she is great ..she knows what needs to be done ..normally i am sleeping when she gets in on sat ..so she'll start work on the living room and kitchen etc..then i ll get up an hour or so later ..she folds all the laundry ..separates those for ironing etc ....but she is a bit slow ..slow but thorough ..she takes 3 hours for a one bed apt but then i leave stacks of dishes and clothes for her to manage over the weekend ..i hate folding laundry so she knows what to do .. i do tip her and give her clothes etc .. we have grown and developed a bond over time ..
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 12:31
I'm currently going through this too. Have tried 3 x different maids from the same company, so now think it's time I change company. But which one? I always prefer to work from recommendations. hi poshbird, I've been working with dubaihousekeeping since the time I've arrived to Dubai. It's been 1,5 years now, that I got services from heavy cleaning to kitchen assistance when I have guests. And this is not the first time I'm recommending them :) Btw, I've also tried other companies when I couldn't schedule help with dubaihousekeeping. As per my experience with around 5 different companies, I've found this one the most convenient. Customer service of the company is exceptional. Still, it comes to the point where the actual work is done by the maid herself. I've my regular, so that we get used to eachother in time and now everything is working like a clock. Just saying that it is a matter of fact that we're all coming from different cultures and habbits, so it is not also easy for the maids to perform at their bests from day 1 but it develops in time. I would recommend you to give it a try. Hope that helps :)
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 12:21
I had a great experience with a maid service here, got lucky with a great maid out of the gate. It is a 4 hour minimum with this particular company, and I think she allocated the time perfectly. As time wore on, said maid in particular was getting booked up and it was harder to get appointments when I needed them, so I accepted an appointment with 2 maids who cleaned for 2 hours. Result was not good as the cleaning was not up to par and worse, they didn't listen when told to leave certain things alone. I spoke to the manager about it and he was determined to make it right; I think this is the difference, when the manager actually cares about customer service and satisfaction. He took the feedback seriously and wants all of his maids to be as good as they can be. Now when I call to book, he knows the level of cleaning that I expect and which maid(s) I would be happy with. If no one is available that day, he will tell me so, or, he will send someone and advise me to show them everything, not take for granted they will know what to do. It's just a fact that not all maids in the same service company are equally good. If you are able to find a service where the manager is frank about this, I believe this is the difference. But if you switch services every time you have a bad experience you can't really develop that rapport with the manager. I think that makes the difference. Clear communication and willingness to give good customer service is really the key. There are not many around though.
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 09:50
I had a great experience with a maid service here, got lucky with a great maid out of the gate. It is a 4 hour minimum with this particular company, and I think she allocated the time perfectly. As time wore on, said maid in particular was getting booked up and it was harder to get appointments when I needed them, so I accepted an appointment with 2 maids who cleaned for 2 hours. Result was not good as the cleaning was not up to par and worse, they didn't listen when told to leave certain things alone. I spoke to the manager about it and he was determined to make it right; I think this is the difference, when the manager actually cares about customer service and satisfaction. He took the feedback seriously and wants all of his maids to be as good as they can be. Now when I call to book, he knows the level of cleaning that I expect and which maid(s) I would be happy with. If no one is available that day, he will tell me so, or, he will send someone and advise me to show them everything, not take for granted they will know what to do. It's just a fact that not all maids in the same service company are equally good. If you are able to find a service where the manager is frank about this, I believe this is the difference. But if you switch services every time you have a bad experience you can't really develop that rapport with the manager.
Latest post on 20 February 2016 - 16:25
Sadly IndieOz, the options you've used are all 100% ILLEGAL and carry fines of all involved if caught. You cannot employ a person on someone else's sponsorship, even IF they give their permission. Fines of upto 50,000 dhs for all involved and deportation for the poor person doing the work - not worth it.
Latest post on 20 February 2016 - 13:52
We've always had part time maids. 6 over 13 years. Here's what I did: 1. I used to advertise in the free classifieds for a part time maid on their husband's visa, not maids on what used to be called "free visa" (that is sponsored by an ar$eh01e 1oca1 who was then paid a fat fee by the poor maid to "release" them to work wherever they wished). Make sure you verify this by checking their original passport. 2. I paid around AED 1300 for very light work - it was mainly light household work - dishes, dusting, mopping cleaning (a large 2 bedroom apartment), laundry etc. They lived close by. But if you're living in one of those gated communities then you'd probably have to pay for their transport as well. 3. I hired a cook (on my neighbour's visa who allowed him to work in a couple of other houses to make some extra money) who worked for an hour and I paid him AED 500 per month. 4. Remember, most maids will NEVER do the work to your satisfaction. So you have to lower your expectations, if not, consider doing it yourself. Which is the reason I am so happy doing all this work myself now. I feel liberated....ha ha. This was not an option when I was working full time. I am so much better at this than all maids every employed by me!!
Latest post on 20 February 2016 - 12:11
I'm currently going through this too. Have tried 3 x different maids from the same company, so now think it's time I change company. But which one? I always prefer to work from recommendations.
Latest post on 05 January 2016 - 16:04
From an agency the maids can work wherever they are sent, however sharing a maid between a Madam (when under that family's sponsorship) and her friends/neighbours is not allowed.
Latest post on 05 January 2016 - 16:01
It's illegal to share maids and you have no recourse with the Police when they steal something so that is not a good idea. Yikes! Thanks a lot for letting me know this.... There is an agency that offers maids to be shared between neighbours - all legal and above board..search facebook for Housekeeping Institute
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 19:03
It's illegal to share maids and you have no recourse with the Police when they steal something so that is not a good idea. Yikes! Thanks a lot for letting me know this....
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 19:02
Do you tip or offer a cup of tea or a treat in general if they do a good job? I find a good girl every now and then, but I do look after them and they know they get treated well if they do a good job. The girl I have now, tells me she wants to come to my house everyday ?. I had some really bad cleaners, but always tell the agency not to send them again and I have also changed agency a few times... Yes, of course! I always tip them if they do a half-decent job since I've had such terrible experience with most. But most never ever finish the job.....on what basis will I call them back even if they do want to come back?
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 18:29
It's illegal to share maids and you have no recourse with the Police when they steal something so that is not a good idea.
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 17:15
Do you tip or offer a cup of tea or a treat in general if they do a good job? I find a good girl every now and then, but I do look after them and they know they get treated well if they do a good job. The girl I have now, tells me she wants to come to my house everyday ?. I had some really bad cleaners, but always tell the agency not to send them again and I have also changed agency a few times...
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 16:27
Light the fire of inspiration: offer double, expect it to be done in 2 hours or they get the standard pay. This is a MASSIVELY great idea; wonder why I never thought of it before!!! Will work on this one for sure. Hoping this one's gonna crack it :D Thank u very very much AdventurerB!
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 16:24
There's no such thing as a happy part-time maid from an agency. Those ladies are all overworked and underpaid. With the others, you may have been unlucky, but have you spent time working with the maids, showing them exactly what needs cleaning and how you need it to be done? It really takes a significant effort to train someone and if you're not willing or able to do put in some time, you may keep being disappointed. I did actually walk each one of them through, but I noticed most were agonizingly slow. One maid managed to spend 1.5 hours in my tiny kitchen. When I asked 'What's taking so long?' She snapped back "Do u want this place clean or not??" One cannot really fight about the minutes it would take to clean an (already clean) kitchen counter! They waste too much time; and I think it's kind of on purpose....... Thanks for ur response though. Very much appreciated :)
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 16:17
Often it's a case of "buy in" as the maids are paid poorly by the agency and might well never come to your house again. So, at least in that sense, why would they do a good job. They won't get paid more and the agency doesn't really treat them well. What I know some friends of mine have done who didn't individually need a full time person was club together and share a maid. It worked well if you can find the people to do it. She is better treated/paid and has more incentive to do good work. I know it's a bit complicated though. Thank You for the response, but I really don't know anyone who would want to share a maid. But I'll definitely make enquiries about it. :)
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 16:00
There's no such thing as a happy part-time maid from an agency. Those ladies are all overworked and underpaid. With the others, you may have been unlucky, but have you spent time working with the maids, showing them exactly what needs cleaning and how you need it to be done? It really takes a significant effort to train someone and if you're not willing or able to do put in some time, you may keep being disappointed.
Latest post on 04 January 2016 - 15:31
Often it's a case of "buy in" as the maids are paid poorly by the agency and might well never come to your house again. So, at least in that sense, why would they do a good job. They won't get paid more and the agency doesn't really treat them well. What I know some friends of mine have done who didn't individually need a full time person was club together and share a maid. It worked well if you can find the people to do it. She is better treated/paid and has more incentive to do good work. I know it's a bit complicated though.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY