In Need of Financial Advice | ExpatWoman.com

In Need of Financial Advice

Latest post on 04 May 2016 - 00:57
Hi Guys, Thank you all for helping me out. I was able to avoid the "Private Lender Option" during the last time and I just had to rough it out for bit. :-) I moved to a closer place near my workplace and I only spend AED 300 for transportation for a month. The place I moved to is good and decent and 2 blocks away from the office (walking distance during winter but not on summer :-)). So technically, I get to take home 3/5 of my salary by the end of the month after all expenses. Thanks for all the views.
Latest post on 08 January 2016 - 14:11
A flatmate might be a feasible option for you. Someone from your work, whom you know well and also in same boat. It's not ideal situation but better than to be in debt which you might not be able to pay off with your current salary
Latest post on 08 January 2016 - 13:40
Hi Dgec, Sorry I didn't realise what your salary was before suggesting the bank - in your circumstances, I would suggest that you seek the help of your family / friends to help get you on your feet with a loan. Then you could look for a job with higher pay where you can save properly. Even if you were to get a loan from a loan shark, it would be risky and also, I think it would be challenging to get a decent sized loan with your present disposable income. Good luck and wish you all the best in Dubai!
Latest post on 08 January 2016 - 13:21
Hi guys, Thanks for the advice. My cousin's place is 30 minutes from work and no public transport passes her area. The only means is to call for a cab or get a carlift. The cost of the monthly transportation would reach to 1200AED. As for the bank loan, I think they require a minimum salary of 5000AED and above.
Latest post on 06 January 2016 - 19:32
Hi Dgec, welcome to Dubai. If you are looking for finance for the purposes of renting a place yourself, I think a rent / bank loan should be achievable and perfectly normal in the UAE given the structure of the rental system. Provided that you can comfortably afford the repayments, I see no issues on going down this road. You mention that banks have 'very strict requirements' but, from what I've seen / heard, they are actually a lot more lenient that I would expect (e.g. I have a friends who have multiple loans / credit cards and they've told me that banks don't even check / verify what other debts they have elsewhere). As I mentioned, rent loans are the norm here so I would approach one of the banks who should be able to help. In terms of approaching other loan shark-type lenders, I would avoid! Happy Borrowing!
Latest post on 06 January 2016 - 17:18
A private lender is never advisable. If you must change your residence, I'd approach a bank as they are pretty reasonable if you have a full-time job. But if you want my financial advice, I'd say stay where you are and save your money. Recession or not, going into debt or spending everything you are earning is never a good idea.
Latest post on 06 January 2016 - 16:23
Hi Expatwoman, I am new here in Dubai, 5 months young and working in a very stable company despite of the gossip of a "Silent Recession". I'm currently in a financial dilemma as I decided to get my own space to live closer to work. I was informed by my cousin that the salary I'm earning is good for someone new here in UAE but right now I am in a financial dilemma. I am thinking of getting a loan from the bank but they have very strict requirements. Do you think a Private Lender is advisable?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY