Possible relocation to Doha - looking for some advice | ExpatWoman.com

Possible relocation to Doha - looking for some advice

Latest post on 26 January 2016 - 08:01

My husband has been head hunted for a job in Doha and is now through to a final interview (eeeek!!), so it looks like it could be a reality that we relocate from Dubai (where we have been for the past 7 yrs) to Doha.

He would initially be on a 3 month probation during which time the company suggests he commutes on a weekly basis with full relocation for the family after successfully completing his probation, so now I am staring to investigate the reality of how things work in Qatar!! I have visited Doha extensively over the past 2 yrs for my work so I know what the place is like, but when it comes to hiring maids etc I’m a bit flummoxed as I read somewhere that you can’t sponsor a maid until you have been a resident for 6 months …..how on earth could we make that work? I work and it’s likely I could work from home in Doha so would need a full time maid from day 1 of relocating to look after our 2 yr old. Grateful for any advice on this subject?

Also, if successful the job would be in the West Bay area, and we’d be looking to rent a 3 or 4 bed villa or townhouse with close proximity to a good nursery / school in a couple of years. Can anyone share any recommended areas and what we should be budgeting for? (I’m guessing 15 to 20k p/mth?).

Serious squeaky bum time if this comes off so grateful for any advice anyone can offer!

With much thanks in advance.

Latest post on 27 January 2016 - 15:53
We did this move a few years back (from dubai to doha) and we actually brought our nanny from dubai...super easy! If not yes you do need 6 months from the time you get your residency. But you can also put your child in daycare here in doha as an alternative (quite a few until 6pm in west bay), and get maid from company to help out few hours per day or week (i have used quite a few companies and wouldn't trust most with my child - so if you wanted child care from agency do your research). As far as housing budget is low for west bay, villas in west bay are usually 25,000+ per month. You can look at the pearl (apartments in that price range)...