Been here 5 years and... | ExpatWoman.com

Been here 5 years and...

Latest post on 28 January 2016 - 13:21

... just had my first encounter with a beggar (I think).

Sat at my desk in reception at work when a bloke comes in and shows me his NOL card saying he needs to get home but he has no balance left on it.

As a tight, cynical Northerner I told him I had no money but he could always ask a policeman in the metro station for help.

I've heard about the fake wounds and no money for petrol scams but I've not come across this before, unless it was genuine..... :thinking:

Latest post on 04 February 2016 - 14:24
I guess this may be a scam. I was asked for money for the metro too in the Marina last week, very near the station. I did refuse as he had not asked any of the men that past in front of me.
Latest post on 03 February 2016 - 19:32
Well I had this experience just yesterday at the Oud metha fuel station. A couple with 2 kids (an infant girl and son maybe 5) told me they had their money stolen etc and I could help them, they have come from muscat. I know of this scam very well and again a family in a tahoe having no means of getting cash seems extremely unbelievable. Anyway, I said "In what way do you expect me to help you?" and the father said "if you can just help with some food and milk for the kids" and pointed at the zoom. I was reluctant to handover cash so I agreed to buy milk and some food. The wife came to the store with me and picked up a shopping basket, idk if she expected me to buy her a week's grocery, and the boy started filling it with freshly cut fruits and chocolates. I went on the other side, picked a 1L bottle of fresh milk and a box of digestives and said "this is all I can get you". The mother kept asking if I could buy chocolates etc but I stood firm. Anyway, I bought it and handed it over to the boy. I clearly know this is a scam because Ive heard it all before and even before I walked out after paying the mother walked back to the refrigerators for purchasing more supplies by herself. It was quite obvious that they are quite seasoned in doing this, but I'm quite surprised that people with kids of impressionable age and parents that can afford to own/rent a tahoe resort to begging like that. I'm not only disgusted, I'm also confused as to if i did a good thing for letting the kids have some food inspite of knowing this is a common scam or if im so foolish that im that vulnerable to emotions. :confused: What kind of values are those children getting from their parents? Yes definitely a scam...
Latest post on 03 February 2016 - 16:35
Same here ladies. I along with DH were waiting for a cab at St. Mary's church on Sunday. A guy came long pretending to be wounded and asked if we could spare some money so that he can visit a doc. He seemed to be a healthy person who can earn for himself. Wonder why people resort to begging. As long as they have been blessed with good health, have working limbs, one can and should fend for oneself.
Latest post on 03 February 2016 - 15:29
yikes! I saw one sleeping poor looking guy (in ragged clothes) under the Times Square bridge way back 2007 and immediately made a U-turn. I had nothing to give as I was also running out of cash that time but a hot burger i ordered from Mcdonalds at the gas station. and I wanted to just put it near him so that when he wakes up, he could get it. I parked, walked towards him and then he suddenly woke up. Knowing I was near him, he gave me a horrifying stare and almost attacked me thinking I will hurt him. I didn't know the next scenes but just rushed to my car and drove fast away from that area. Yes, from then, I had a FROZEN heart. :(
Latest post on 03 February 2016 - 12:12
Well I had this experience just yesterday at the Oud metha fuel station. A couple with 2 kids (an infant girl and son maybe 5) told me they had their money stolen etc and I could help them, they have come from muscat. I know of this scam very well and again a family in a tahoe having no means of getting cash seems extremely unbelievable. Anyway, I said "In what way do you expect me to help you?" and the father said "if you can just help with some food and milk for the kids" and pointed at the zoom. I was reluctant to handover cash so I agreed to buy milk and some food. The wife came to the store with me and picked up a shopping basket, idk if she expected me to buy her a week's grocery, and the boy started filling it with freshly cut fruits and chocolates. I went on the other side, picked a 1L bottle of fresh milk and a box of digestives and said "this is all I can get you". The mother kept asking if I could buy chocolates etc but I stood firm. Anyway, I bought it and handed it over to the boy. I clearly know this is a scam because Ive heard it all before and even before I walked out after paying the mother walked back to the refrigerators for purchasing more supplies by herself. It was quite obvious that they are quite seasoned in doing this, but I'm quite surprised that people with kids of impressionable age and parents that can afford to own/rent a tahoe resort to begging like that. I'm not only disgusted, I'm also confused as to if i did a good thing for letting the kids have some food inspite of knowing this is a common scam or if im so foolish that im that vulnerable to emotions. :confused: The bloomin' cheek! :angry: BTW the word I've got in my head isn't "bloomin", it's far less reserved.
Latest post on 03 February 2016 - 12:01
Well I had this experience just yesterday at the Oud metha fuel station. A couple with 2 kids (an infant girl and son maybe 5) told me they had their money stolen etc and I could help them, they have come from muscat. I know of this scam very well and again a family in a tahoe having no means of getting cash seems extremely unbelievable. Anyway, I said "In what way do you expect me to help you?" and the father said "if you can just help with some food and milk for the kids" and pointed at the zoom. I was reluctant to handover cash so I agreed to buy milk and some food. The wife came to the store with me and picked up a shopping basket, idk if she expected me to buy her a week's grocery, and the boy started filling it with freshly cut fruits and chocolates. I went on the other side, picked a 1L bottle of fresh milk and a box of digestives and said "this is all I can get you". The mother kept asking if I could buy chocolates etc but I stood firm. Anyway, I bought it and handed it over to the boy. I clearly know this is a scam because Ive heard it all before and even before I walked out after paying the mother walked back to the refrigerators for purchasing more supplies by herself. It was quite obvious that they are quite seasoned in doing this, but I'm quite surprised that people with kids of impressionable age and parents that can afford to own/rent a tahoe resort to begging like that. I'm not only disgusted, I'm also confused as to if i did a good thing for letting the kids have some food inspite of knowing this is a common scam or if im so foolish that im that vulnerable to emotions. :confused:
Latest post on 02 February 2016 - 13:41
Have had "mayo man" in Park n Rob's car park a few times - I just close the window and refuse to look at him as he shuffles away...Am more than happy to slip a few dirhams extra to car washers or street sweepers etc as I go about my day but will never feel obliged to support a scam.
Latest post on 31 January 2016 - 16:25
The "money for Petrol to get back to Oman/KSA" is a usual one, as is the "horrible wound on arm" one and the "urine bag" one. However, I'd still probably give 10/20 AED.
Latest post on 31 January 2016 - 15:48
2,5 years ago we just came to Dubai, had no car and walked from work to a hotel. When we were crossing the road on a pedestrian cross a Tahoe full of children (not in car seats, one of them on the driver's lap) stopped, window went down and the driver started asking us money for petrol. We were genuinely shocked. I couldn't believe that Tahoe drivers beg for money. Didn't give any money.
Latest post on 30 January 2016 - 00:17
About 7 years ago I was packing my car with all the Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve in MOE. From nowhere a guy appeared at my side showing me the most horrendous wound on his arm with the story that his employer had sacked him and he had no money to seek a doctor. To be absolutely honest it completely freaked me and I drove away. When I got home I cried for the guy and for myself for not helping him. Guilt sent me back to MOE car park and I drove around trying to find and help him (it was xmas eve!). When I found out this was a con that most people knew about, I felt very angry. I now am really dubious about helping people in Dubai.
Latest post on 29 January 2016 - 22:50
i have had the fake wound and need petrol and i have a resting ***** face....
Latest post on 28 January 2016 - 17:03
Been here 3 years and have about 4 men knock on the car window in AD while the husband went into a shop or something. Also had 2 people try the fake wound/ need money for a doctor situation in Dubai. Maybe I have a generous looking face...?
Latest post on 28 January 2016 - 15:53
... just had my first encounter with a beggar (I think). Sat at my desk in reception at work when a bloke comes in and shows me his NOL card saying he needs to get home but he has no balance left on it. As a tight, cynical Northerner I told him I had no money but he could always ask a policeman in the metro station for help. I've heard about the fake wounds and no money for petrol scams but I've not come across this before, unless it was genuine..... :thinking: The part about "tight, cynical Northerner" made me laugh I was accosted once on the street but I just ignored him which made me feel bad as he could of been genuine however there are too many scams. If I was close to the Metro I would of gone and topped up his NOL card with 20AED or so Call me harsh but I've read so many stories of people lying to make a bit of cash I don't really believe any of them. There's a beggar called Gemma who's famous in Sheffield for loitering around the train station asking for 70p from everyone she sees for the bus, she's been doing it for the past 10 years. No idea where she wants to go, the fare must cost a fortune :biggrin: And when you read about kind hearted souls who offer people a cup of tea or a sandwich instead of cash and they get sworn at makes me very wary of some even though there are some genuine cases.
Latest post on 28 January 2016 - 15:29
... just had my first encounter with a beggar (I think). Sat at my desk in reception at work when a bloke comes in and shows me his NOL card saying he needs to get home but he has no balance left on it. As a tight, cynical Northerner I told him I had no money but he could always ask a policeman in the metro station for help. I've heard about the fake wounds and no money for petrol scams but I've not come across this before, unless it was genuine..... :thinking: The part about "tight, cynical Northerner" made me laugh I was accosted once on the street but I just ignored him which made me feel bad as he could of been genuine however there are too many scams. If I was close to the Metro I would of gone and topped up his NOL card with 20AED or so

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY