Gaining Weight During Pregnancy | ExpatWoman.com

Gaining Weight During Pregnancy

Latest post on 07 February 2016 - 22:49

My doctor is being really strict with me about gaining weight (almost to the point of making me feel bad about it). I understand that I was overweight to begin with and she's looking out for my and my baby's health, but what's considered excessive weight gain?

I've gained 7kgs since I've been pregnant and I'm in my fifth month. My doctor says I should not gain any more weight in the next month and after that, I shouldn't be gaining much weight till my last trimester.

How much weight did you guys gain?

Latest post on 08 March 2016 - 15:01
It is difficult to keep weight down in pregnancy as you feel more tired, so tend to do less and eat more. You have already put on 7kg - which is about the total recommended gain if your BMI is over 30. Given you are only five months and most baby related weight gain is in last trimester you do want to be careful to minimise any actual weight gain for yourself as opposed to baby. There are increased risks associated with excess weight in pregnancy - increased assisted (forceps) due to shoulder dystopia or maternal exhaustion, increased c-section, increased gestational diabetes which can mean baby ends up in neonatal unit rather than with you, more discomfort for you with backache, pelvic pain and skin rubbing problems. Also much greater risk of pelvic floor problems afterwards and so incontinence and need for more surgery. If you are lighter, the weight gain recommended is slightly higher around 12.5- 20 kilos for women with healthy BMI. Good suggestions are swimming (to burn calories, relieve weight of baby on spine and to make you feel comfortable. It has to be energetic rather than 'wallowing' to work though. Walking is also good. There is no reason not to do more vigorous exercise if you want - gym, running, Zumba. Pregnancy does not require special diets but healthy eating is good. Give up all added sugar in drinks, biscuits, cakes, sweets and ready cooked meals. Water retention is rarely a problem at 5 months. Drink lots of water, eat lots of vegetables.
Latest post on 08 March 2016 - 07:39
I gained 2.5kg and I'm in my fourth month. My doctor didn't even bring up the subject, but from what I read each woman gains weight differently. I think your doctor is afraid because if you gain too much weight you can develop preeclampsia and gestational diabetes both which are life threatening to you and the baby. Plus your baby will have a high weight at birth and will be hard to deliver, probably only with Caesarian. However my friend had the perfect weight and eating by the book and still was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Also a lot of that weight can be water, if you are prone for water retention. My advice to you would be not to stress for what you already gained but try to have a balanced diet for your benefit and the baby's. The usual we know: no junk, no canned food, less salt,etc. And most important drink lots of water. It will flush the excess. I wouldn't change the doctor just because her approach is straight-forward. A lot of doctors don't even bother with this subject.
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 11:32
I gained 12 kg 'total' during my pregnancy but all my tests and visits to the doctor reflected a normal healthy pregnancy. I think her tone and approach to you is what makes you feel guilty and stressed. But i have to agree with her that it's dangerous to be overweight during pregnancy. I guess you try to look for another OB if her ways are bothering you. You need to have a good coach this time around and not a guit-inducing doctor :D
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 07:53
If you are seeing someone in medcare. .I can almost guess her name from your post :P I would only say make healthier food choices. You can look up healthy weight gain during pregnancy guideline at babycenter.com. It gives a good idea at where you are going wrong as they have sample menu also. If your doctor is ok then you should start walking to get a bit of exercise or swimming. I saw a crazy medcare woman in the start of my pregnancy and she made me so paranoid about gaining weight in first trimester that I started loosing weight in my 4th month thats when I decided I don't need that extra stress in my life so I am not going back to her any more. I am still cutting back on sugar and treats.. eating out only once a week.. and having lots of salad or fruits with my main home cooked meals or in between and it helps. I try to walk some days also. .but my other two are keeping me quite busy already.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY