partner disheartened by job search. suggestions ? | ExpatWoman.com

partner disheartened by job search. suggestions ?

Latest post on 10 February 2016 - 08:58
Hi Sarah The job market is indeed bleak. It's not him... tell him to keep himself busy. Search and hunt for the job yes, but in the meantime, do not sit and think. That can be very depressing. Sport, meditation, long walks (weather is good) and maybe cooking just for the pleasure of it. Anything really that brings a sense of calm. And let him know that this too, shall pass. Not the end of the world.... It will happen when it's meant to and I hope for your sake that it'll happen very soon :)
Latest post on 10 February 2016 - 08:39
Thanks everyone I really appreciate the feedback / words of advice and support and encouragement. I told him last night of your responses and it cheered him up to know that it is the market at the moment and not him as a professional. We will keep trying !! Thank you so much !!! Xoxo
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 12:13
Sarah333, I'm in the same boat as your husband. Being from the Oil and Gas industry, I really hard to really get anywhere with the job search. I'm just hanging in there like many others. There are times when I'm really low during the day and at times I hear about people who have it worse than me! Sometimes its really hard to look at "the positive side". Hope things work out for you soon, but until then, know that you are not alone!
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 22:07
It's been bad lately. My SO (architect working on big projects) was approached for a job in Bahrain, and accepted because he could see that he would be out of his job in Dubai soon. The project he was working on was quite messy in its internal politics; people were being let go and not necessarily replaced. Fast forward to Bahrain a couple of weeks later (now) -- everyone working with him on this new project used to work in Dubai, and is hoping for an opportunity to come back. Many are commuting on weekends.
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 16:35
Many non urgent projects have been put on hold and I did also read some of the larger firms have posted massive losses Has he researched Construction Recruiters? via LinkedIn as many of the agencies have a construction desk, there seems to be at present an abundance of well qualified unemployed construction guys in the market and these guys tend to know who is hiring etc, networking is a big thing here and most guys get their roles via someone they know making it harder for international applicants to find the roles Good Luck!
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 16:10
Hi, It takes on average 6-9 months to find a well paid job in Dubai. You have to realize that currently many people are being laid off working in the construction business. This is the case in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Construction and Oil&Gas are badly hit. Low Euro and low oil barrel prices do not help as well. Good luck with the search!
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 08:33
Hi ladies. My partners job in dubai recently fell through. We are still very keen to move over and live and work in Dubai. He has been trying really hard and following up leads, applying for jobs and calling places. Unfortunately, he has not had any luck and is beginning to feel really disheartened. I just thought I'd try help by posting here to see if anyone has any contacts for construction jobs in dubai? He works in constriction management here in Australia on commercial projects up to 40 million only. If you have any suggestions for recruitment companies or for companies that he could call or email, from your experiences that would be so valuable and much appreciated. Any small suggestions would be great and hopefully I can try cheer him up with some suggestions on moving forward !! Thanks in advance Sarah Xoxo

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY