Why are africans not employed even when they are extremely qualified for a post. | ExpatWoman.com

Why are africans not employed even when they are extremely qualified for a post.

Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 10:23

Hi ladies and gentlemen.

I have been searching for a job and trying my best but its seems being African is the only crime I committed.
I am a young lady and a graduate extremely hardworking,well experienced and fit to do any given task...
yet whenever I tell them am an African I get weak response and no feedback.
Even to work as a nanny yet no one wants to give a try.....pls why the discrimination what crime have we africans committed????
We never told God to make us africans.why are parents killing the zeal of the young african generation to make a decent living???
This is so unfair as I am discouraged and so feel so lonely in this race of life....thanks all for your time and contributions....God bless.

Latest post on 10 February 2016 - 11:15
Actually ladies, it's not that unusual at all. Many, many, many candidates - here, in the UK and Australia, 'change' their name to more Western sounding names. In some cases it's to make pronunciation easier. Even Western names are 'changed' Francesca might be known as Fran. Even my own Father, although Roberto, is called Alan - if you called out to him as Roberto, he wouldn't turn around. I have known a Poh called Paul, Harikrishnan who calls himself Harry, the list goes on. No need to get all a-flutter! It's quite different to falsifying a work history. I've been doing this for 20 years and wouldn't bat an eyelid if it came up. Edited to add: I am in no way suggesting you give up your identity or Nationality. That was not the intention of my suggestion AT ALL. I'm sorry if you (or others) interpreted it that way. Not sure what else I can say really. Was just trying to help.
Latest post on 10 February 2016 - 09:04
Hi I'm very sorry to hear that the job hunt hasn't gone as well as you'd have liked. Same here. :( But take heart and don't lose hope! I'm sure it will all work out. As for the racism -- I don't think it's just racism to be honest. The job market doesn't look very good. Having said that, living in Dubai for the last 9-10 years, I agree that racism is present, but then it is prevalent in most multi-cultural societies. I'm glad you are proud of being African. The people who will hire you will hire you for who you are, African and all.
Latest post on 10 February 2016 - 02:36
Speaking from experience Nigerians & Ghanaians have shots at jobs.They find jobs in engineering and professional sectors easily compared to other Africans.It has to do more with their confidence and skill set. But don't forget Dubai is whitewashed. You will see some opportunities but can't reach it because of your skin color. Simple as that! But then again, how many Africans are in Dubai compared to other nationalities? Most Africans i know have their business they are mostly West Africans. So i will give you the advice most of them give themselves TWO YEARS and leave. Go to Australia, as racist as they portray Australia, they will welcome your skillset and certificate and treat you well at the job. All the ones i know that moved to Australia have no regret till today. Make this your long term vision if you are not willing to head back to the motherland. Stay focused and remain positive. and keep applying for the jobs you feel you are qualified for. One will click am sure.
Latest post on 10 February 2016 - 00:33
You're not the only one unemployed and "extremely qualified for posts". I don't think it's necessary an "African thing". I know plenty of women of many different nationalities struggling/struggled to get a job here. As there aren't enough laws in place to protect workers so many employers really take advantage of the situation. There are so many sexist/racist/inappropriate job adverts here. The process of advertising/selecting/interviewing is the most unprofessional I have ever come across and I know many of you would agree with me for saying that. There is hope though. It's not all bad. You need to know the right places where to get jobs. A lot of time is down to luck and who you know. There is not much thinking "outside the box". It's a cliched phrase but a lot of jobs only go to candidates with the exact qualification and specific experience without considering candidates that have something a bit different but who would still be fully capable of doing a very good job. PS. There should only be ladies on this forum... :-)
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 17:17
try applying everywhere not just Dubai. If you have no strings attached in Dubai i am sure your move will be easy. just keep talking to people, meeting people, posting everywhere. networking is what works here really. once they know your name then they will look into your qualifications. best of luck
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 17:14
I am an African.......there is a reason God made me African and no matter what I face I will hold my head up high through these storms cos they will pass over and be a story someday.........
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 17:10
Thanks everyone for your numerous contributions...... I can't possibly start telling a lie either about my nationality or name.....doing that simply potrays me as liar and and gives others a bad name... To all who had bad or annoying experiences with africans pls forgive them and dont let it be generalized. pls remember that any nationality could do same stuff and go wrong too....... I am a graduate in sciences but when I could not get a job I decided to work as a Nanny since I loved kids with passion... But I got on the wrong hands and ever since trying to get at least another nanny job has been a whole lot of bad experience.... Someday the good people will find me that I know cos am good at whatever I do... But so far the discrimination is heartbreaking... Thanks all am grateful. Are you willing to shift to other Emirates or only Dubai? Any emirate I don't mind.........but I am in Dubai and have been searching only in Dubai.
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 16:56
wow !! A recruiter recommends lying on your CV, using a false name and disowning your nationality !! Not good advice... Wind 777 is referring to a maid's position although the OP clearly said she is a graduate... Sorry, no advice but to just keep applying for jobs, I'm sure there is nothing against your nationality just a very competitive job market here.. good luck !!
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 16:48
Thanks everyone for your numerous contributions...... I can't possibly start telling a lie either about my nationality or name.....doing that simply potrays me as liar and and gives others a bad name... To all who had bad or annoying experiences with africans pls forgive them and dont let it be generalized. pls remember that any nationality could do same stuff and go wrong too....... I am a graduate in sciences but when I could not get a job I decided to work as a Nanny since I loved kids with passion... But I got on the wrong hands and ever since trying to get at least another nanny job has been a whole lot of bad experience.... Someday the good people will find me that I know cos am good at whatever I do... But so far the discrimination is heartbreaking... Thanks all am grateful. Are you willing to shift to other Emirates or only Dubai?
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 16:14
3rd Time Lucky - change her name on her cv? Sorry but what nonsense advice is this? So she rocks up to an interview and then gives her real name. I can see that ending in disaster and word going round like wildfire - don't touch this person as they're an identity fraudster - NEVER lie on a cv, ever.
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 16:06
Thanks everyone for your numerous contributions...... I can't possibly start telling a lie either about my nationality or name.....doing that simply potrays me as liar and and gives others a bad name... To all who had bad or annoying experiences with africans pls forgive them and dont let it be generalized. pls remember that any nationality could do same stuff and go wrong too....... I am a graduate in sciences but when I could not get a job I decided to work as a Nanny since I loved kids with passion... But I got on the wrong hands and ever since trying to get at least another nanny job has been a whole lot of bad experience.... Someday the good people will find me that I know cos am good at whatever I do... But so far the discrimination is heartbreaking... Thanks all am grateful.
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 14:48
lily5k please don't be discouraged. I think that sadly, this is the experience for many job seekers. I'm a recruiter and looking for a job at the moment - I left two messages for a consultant on a Talent Acquisition Manager role and she still hasn't called me two weeks later. So it even happens to me :) You didn't mention what your profession is, but I imagine that generally, being African does not enter the equation. If you are qualified and have good experience, that's key. Keeping in mind there may be hundreds (yes, hundreds) of others vying for the same role. I recently interviewed an African lady for a senior post in our company and when I mentioned that there would be an assessment for verbal/English comprehension, she went funny on me. I think that it offended her. Little did she realise that the week previously, we had an Australian lady do the same assessment. It's just part of our process. She blew the interview after that because her attitude became quite stroppy. So, maybe, hopefully, it is not about the fact you're African. As an experiment, change your name on your CV to a very Western sounding one and see if your hit rate improves. As a positive-negative, I hope it doesn't :) Good luck, keep cracking on. I've been at it for a month without any success myself!
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 14:36
Hi ladies and gentlemen. I have been searching for a job and trying my best but its seems being African is the only crime I committed. I am a young lady and a graduate extremely hardworking,well experienced and fit to do any given task... yet whenever I tell them am an African I get weak response and no feedback. Even to work as a nanny yet no one wants to give a try.....pls why the discrimination what crime have we africans committed???? We never told God to make us africans.why are parents killing the zeal of the young african generation to make a decent living??? This is so unfair as I am discouraged and so feel so lonely in this race of life....thanks all for your time and contributions....God bless. Well... I was contacted few days ago by an African who was looking for job! She was sending me "good morning" messages and texts and finally found me over the phone! I invited her for an interview the same day and discussed all details and agreed on salary etc ! She was supposed to contact me yesterday to simply tell me what time she will come today with her suitcase to start the job!! All of sudden, I had to chase her for hours last night (same person who was sending me "good mornings!") and ended up hearing she wants more money!!! I guess I shouldn't had been that kind from the beginning!!! Sorry but that behavior is not African! I have seen it at least 6 times from Philippinas in my last nanny search. At least she told you the reason and not just disappeared like the others LOL
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 14:21
Hi ladies and gentlemen. I have been searching for a job and trying my best but its seems being African is the only crime I committed. I am a young lady and a graduate extremely hardworking,well experienced and fit to do any given task... yet whenever I tell them am an African I get weak response and no feedback. Even to work as a nanny yet no one wants to give a try.....pls why the discrimination what crime have we africans committed???? We never told God to make us africans.why are parents killing the zeal of the young african generation to make a decent living??? This is so unfair as I am discouraged and so feel so lonely in this race of life....thanks all for your time and contributions....God bless. Well... I was contacted few days ago by an African who was looking for job! She was sending me "good morning" messages and texts and finally found me over the phone! I invited her for an interview the same day and discussed all details and agreed on salary etc ! She was supposed to contact me yesterday to simply tell me what time she will come today with her suitcase to start the job!! All of sudden, I had to chase her for hours last night (same person who was sending me "good mornings!") and ended up hearing she wants more money!!! I guess I shouldn't had been that kind from the beginning!!! Now wind777, you just mixed up all your cards! The op is applying for jobs and don't get a call back, and in your case the applicant just walked away from a job offer with you... You can't generalise here, your post is something way different than the op's post I am sorry Gorobattie I am not here to argue this! Op tries to say she doesn't get response because she is African! I tried to say maybe that is not the case! Maybe Africans in general are not popular due to this kind of behaviors? I am sure there are good African ladies out there BUT there seem to be many families who are quite disappointed hiring Africans as well (more than other nationals). Once again, I shared my very recent experience as a person who didn't discriminate and invite for interview etc. The certain African candidate could simply behave and refuse the job by picking up her phone or sending a message instead of playing games for hours!!
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 12:38
Hi ladies and gentlemen. I have been searching for a job and trying my best but its seems being African is the only crime I committed. I am a young lady and a graduate extremely hardworking,well experienced and fit to do any given task... yet whenever I tell them am an African I get weak response and no feedback. Even to work as a nanny yet no one wants to give a try.....pls why the discrimination what crime have we africans committed???? We never told God to make us africans.why are parents killing the zeal of the young african generation to make a decent living??? This is so unfair as I am discouraged and so feel so lonely in this race of life....thanks all for your time and contributions....God bless. Well... I was contacted few days ago by an African who was looking for job! She was sending me "good morning" messages and texts and finally found me over the phone! I invited her for an interview the same day and discussed all details and agreed on salary etc ! She was supposed to contact me yesterday to simply tell me what time she will come today with her suitcase to start the job!! All of sudden, I had to chase her for hours last night (same person who was sending me "good mornings!") and ended up hearing she wants more money!!! I guess I shouldn't had been that kind from the beginning!!! Now wind777, you just mixed up all your cards! The op is applying for jobs and don't get a call back, and in your case the applicant just walked away from a job offer with you... You can't generalise here, your post is something way different than the op's post
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 12:13
Hi ladies and gentlemen. I have been searching for a job and trying my best but its seems being African is the only crime I committed. I am a young lady and a graduate extremely hardworking,well experienced and fit to do any given task... yet whenever I tell them am an African I get weak response and no feedback. Even to work as a nanny yet no one wants to give a try.....pls why the discrimination what crime have we africans committed???? We never told God to make us africans.why are parents killing the zeal of the young african generation to make a decent living??? This is so unfair as I am discouraged and so feel so lonely in this race of life....thanks all for your time and contributions....God bless. Well... I was contacted few days ago by an African who was looking for job! She was sending me "good morning" messages and texts and finally found me over the phone! I invited her for an interview the same day and discussed all details and agreed on salary etc ! She was supposed to contact me yesterday to simply tell me what time she will come today with her suitcase to start the job!! All of sudden, I had to chase her for hours last night (same person who was sending me "good mornings!") and ended up hearing she wants more money!!! I guess I shouldn't had been that kind from the beginning!!!
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 11:41
i'd suggest removing your nationality from your resume... get in the front door for the interview first... at least then they stand a chance of talking to you in person before deciding against you just based on the nationality mentioned on the resume
Latest post on 09 February 2016 - 10:54
dont feel bad.just try to be patient.dont feel being african as a minus point.Look at your strengths.God wants us to do the best we can with what he has given us and then wait patiently believing only good will come our way

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY