Meadows vs. Umm Suqeim | ExpatWoman.com

Meadows vs. Umm Suqeim

Latest post on 11 February 2016 - 08:39
We've lived in Umm Suqeim our entire time in Dubai, which is now getting on to nine years. Frankly, there's no difference in crime levels between Umm Suqeim and the Meadows or the Ranches. It's just the notion that there's gatehouses and "guards" at the gates in the Meadows that tricks people into believing one is a safer area, but there's certainly still been thefts in the Meadows and periodic episodes of poisoned pets. If anything, I think it leads to a false sense of security that allows people to drop their guard and be sloppy about leaving bicycles and other valuables unguarded. We chose Umm Suqeim because of the location. It's wonderful being able to walk to the beaches, which we do all the time. I have a bunch of supermarkets to pick from, from Spinneys to Waitrose to Choithrams to Park n Shop to two Union Coops, all within 5-10 minutes. Both big malls are just ten minutes away. The beach road is lined with many restaurants that we can walk to, and there are small local cafeterias next to mosques where you can have a cheap shawarama or parathas. I love the variety of villas, from big to small and everything in between. Many of the local villas are quite interesting, architecturally. Many expats live in US because of the beaches so a lot of people here are outdoorsy, and you'll find many of our car ports are crammed with bicycles and all kinds of water sport gear including kayaks. I won't claim it's paradise, but for us it's been a wonderful place to live (which is why we put up with an older villa with ugly kitchen and bathrooms).
Latest post on 11 February 2016 - 07:08
We lived in Umm Suquiem for years, choose it mainly because of the location. We loved being close to the beach, Dubai Mall and Mal of Emirates were nearby too. We never had any security scares, but we lived close to locals, so I think that might have helped. We missed community feel there though, as our neighbours weren't to be seen outside their walls and our children always had to travel for play dates which were a pain. If safety is your main concern, there are security systems you can buy from places like Dragonmart that doesn't cost a bomb. Good luck and hope you find your perfect house!
Latest post on 10 February 2016 - 21:51
We just moved here and are trying to decide between a house in Meadows 1 and a house in Umm Suqeim 1. Very different places. I like the security of the Meadows but the house and location of Umm Suqeim. How safe is it in Umm Suqeim? Are there break-ins? A little concerned about security there.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY