Skydiving...where to go if you weigh more than 100kg!? | ExpatWoman.com

Skydiving...where to go if you weigh more than 100kg!?

Latest post on 12 February 2016 - 17:44
Thanks FD. I figured it was the equipment- but had not thought about the instructor taking all the weight on landing. I guess he will have to drop a few pounds if he has aspirations of doing that at some point :) thanks for explaining to me.
Latest post on 12 February 2016 - 09:57
Basically there's a limit as to how much weight all the equipment can take. The more weight, the bigger canopy (parachute) you need, commercial chutes don't come as big as military ones, so they have weight restrictions. Don't forget you have to add in the weight of the instructor, all the equipment weighs a lot, plus the harnesses also have a limited weight tolerance. One major factor is, don't forget in a tandem jump, you are strapped to the instructor - he has to take ALL the weight on landing - that can cause injuries to them. This is why drop zones have weight limits. It's really not personal, it's for safety reasons for all involved.
Latest post on 11 February 2016 - 19:32
I had planned to take my Dad for a tandem sky jump for his 68th birthday in 2 weeks. Did not know there was a weight limit....he's 8 kilos over. I have a hard time believing that there is not a host of people that weigh more than 100 kilos that want to tandem jump and just cannot. Anyone know why this is, or if there is another local option besides the drop zone on the Palm? I inquired to a young lady on the phone, trying to understand the physical reason and her response was that it is just their liability insurance policy. Any advice appreciated

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY