Advice Please..... | ExpatWoman.com

Advice Please.....

Latest post on 16 February 2016 - 02:05
Thanks for all your advice ladies! It's a difficult decision to make, but I really appreciate all your advice and congratulations :) It's all a bit surreal and badly timed with the new job lol
Latest post on 15 February 2016 - 13:10
congrats on your pregnancy! I fully understand your reluctance to immediately advise your possible employer but I would also point out that it is possible that there is a waiting period for pregnancy to be covered as there is with our policy at our place of work. A member has to be on the medical insurance policy for one full year before pregnancy is covered. Just giving you a heads up. Good luck with your decisions.
Latest post on 15 February 2016 - 12:00
Do look carefully into maternity leave. Some places have clauses that mean you have to have worked there for a certain amount of time before you're allowed to take it I think. This certainly was the case for a friend of mine but that was a few years ago so things might have changed. HTH xx Oh and...congratulations :)
Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 23:02
Hi, Doctors tend to push for C-sections here. All women I know who had their first baby here had a C-Section. They may have just been unlucky but... Public hospitals should be fine. Good luck.
Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 14:09
The maternity care here is fine. However for the first 6 months you will be under probation and your employer could fire you you for no reason, also you will not be entitled to full maternity leave until you have completed one year of employment. Maternity leave here is 45 days. I would strongly advise you telling your employer before making the move out here. it will be the full 45 days but 1/2 pay just to clarify.
Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 13:52
The maternity care here is fine. However for the first 6 months you will be under probation and your employer could fire you you for no reason, also you will not be entitled to full maternity leave until you have completed one year of employment. Maternity leave here is 45 days. I would strongly advise you telling your employer before making the move out here.
Latest post on 13 February 2016 - 16:24
Private healthcare is good. Lots of choices. American hospital is at the expensive end of private hospitals and there are many other choices. If your maternity is covered, you don't have anything to worry about. Once you are settled, narrow down your doctor nearest to you. expat woman past threads would help you out with that. Water birth is also an option here now. Things have definitely changed in the last 8 years.
Latest post on 13 February 2016 - 15:14
No idea how it is now. Use the search function, am sure there must be several threads on this topic :) PS: Congratulations :)
Latest post on 13 February 2016 - 15:05
No, I haven't told my new employer yet as I've only just found out myself plus it's very early days in the pregnancy and I don't feel like I should tell anyone yet. The medical cover they provide covers it. I'm more concerned about what it's like to have a baby in Dubai. Is the private healthcare good?
Latest post on 13 February 2016 - 11:05
Would your employer cover you for maternity (and more importantly are they aware that you are pregnant?). Without private health cover for pregnancy, it can get very expensive if you decide to go the private route. My youngest was born in American Hospital in 2003. It was a normal delivery with epidural and from memory it cost me around AED 12k for a 2 night stay. Guess it will cost 4x times as much now? Check hospital websites to get an idea of what your costs might be. Or else you could go to Dubai Hospital/other Govt. hospitals (they would be less expensive, I guess)
Latest post on 12 February 2016 - 19:14
Hi Ladies, I am back to this forum after a good 8 years away as there is the possibility of me moving back to Dubai soon. However, this time around I am in a slightly different situation. When I was first in Dubai, I was single and working in education. This time around, there is the possibility of a new job, but I am now married and have just found out I'm pregnant. Is Dubai the right place to be in terms of healthcare for pregnant women and also for giving birth or would you advise against it? I'm so confused as to what to do! Advice appreciated :) Thanks.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY