Ikea Swedish meatballs, what are they made of? | ExpatWoman.com

Ikea Swedish meatballs, what are they made of?

Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 13:27

The website just says "meat" but what type of meat? Anyone know?

Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 18:41
In Dubai it's beef, says on their packages in the freezer. I think the ones they sell her are made in Saudi or something, definitely different recipes for different regions, as they need to be halal in Muslim countries, Ikea wouldn't be aloud to sell pork either.
Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 16:17
At the time of the horse meat scandal in Europe, I recall the IKEA near me in Australia advertising specifically that the meatballs were made from "100% Australian meat"... at least if we were eating horse, it was 100% Australian! A classic Swedish köttbullar is usually a mix of beef and pork, with the proportions dependant on the region. I don't think IKEA has reached such sophisticated levels of regional variation though ☺️
Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 15:25
I would like to find out too. Quite surprisingly these chain restaurant are not able to tell you specifically. I have similar experience at dominoes. . Where I asked the staff what is the meat in the Italian sausages mentioned in some of their pizza flavors and he was not able to tell me the name. He did not know it was chicken or beef or whatever! He kept repeating that they are Italian sausages like that would mean something!? Needless to say, I don't go to dominoes or only eat their veg pizza!
Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 14:03
I imagine they will be beef here as I don't think IKEA is licenced to sell pork products and there isn't any mention of it on the packaging or at IKEA itself. I think if they contain pork it has to be marked as such
Latest post on 14 February 2016 - 13:56
In Europe they are made of pork and beef (and during a specific time also horse, due to a food scandal that went beyond IKEA). But no clue what they're made of here. I presume it's halal meat, given the strict controls?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY