At wits end with ... potatoes!! | ExpatWoman.com

At wits end with ... potatoes!!

Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 13:57

Apologies for the trivial question and rant, but I'm really at my wits end with potatoes in Dubai! No matter where or what brand I buy or how I store them, they sprout within a couple of days!

I have bought local and imported, loose and bagged, at C4 and Waitrose (and everything in between, including Ripe), stored in dark places, "potato bags" from Lakeland, etc. etc. Nothing seems to make a difference. If I don't use them within 3 days, they're gone.

I'm used to potatoes lasting for weeks, if not months, when stored in a cool dark place. What am I doing wrong??? Or is there something seriously wrong with potatoes in Dubai?!?!

Latest post on 01 March 2016 - 08:30
he he he....yes I love that the humble potato is proving so popular :lol: I will try finding russet potato and steaming or baking them! At the minute I do keep them in the fridge and boil them!!!!! So as of now...the quest is on to find the perfect way to create perfect mashed potato in Dubai!!!! :biggrin:
Latest post on 29 February 2016 - 21:54
Very appropriate for you to post on this thread, CP ;) I'm beginning to wonder if the potatoes are frozen when transported to Dubai which affects their shelf life! Some of the ones I have come across in the supermarkets feel cold and wet to touch. And, also, btw - wow! More than a 1,000 views on a thread about potatoes. There's less than that on the sick maid thread at the moment! Who knows... this could end up as "potatoegate" and get deleted if things get heated ;) ;)
Latest post on 29 February 2016 - 18:59
A lot of the bags of potatoes seem to have green potatoes at the moment. I [i'>need [/i'>to have potatoes every day!!
Latest post on 29 February 2016 - 16:47
If you put potatoes in the fridge the starch turns to sugar much more quickly, resulting in sweeter and grittier potatoes. Have you tried storing them in a paper bag in a cool (not cold) place? If you want good mash then try baking potatoes and then scooping the potato from the skin.
Latest post on 29 February 2016 - 13:35
Hi ladies.... I too am at my wits end with spuds (potatoes) but for a different reason!!!!! Hubby and I love our mince and spuds or plain old mashed potato....but any potatoes I buy here are really really wet and soggy when mashed,...even if I dry them out before mashing.....anyone else had this problem and found potatoes anywhere that won't do this?? I normally buy in spinneys or geant!!! Being Irish the perfect potato is an essential for us ha ha You want a starchy potato rather than a waxy one... not sure if they're sold by name in Dubai, but here is a great list of different varieties and what they're best used for [url='>http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/stories/s2914278.htm[/url'> One trick for nice dry mash is to steam the potatoes in their own liquid only (or. Don't boil them). I wash them and leave only that moisture on the surface, and then put them in the microwave, unsliced/unpeeled, for about 10 minutes. Slice in half once you take them out of the microwave and then when you mash them the skin just comes right off.
Latest post on 29 February 2016 - 11:44
@cruiseaddict - I use Russet potatoes for mash and baking - they are "drier" than other potatoes. Sometimes I cook some carrot or turnip or parsnip and mash that in with them to make a change
Latest post on 29 February 2016 - 10:49
Hi ladies.... I too am at my wits end with spuds (potatoes) but for a different reason!!!!! Hubby and I love our mince and spuds or plain old mashed potato....but any potatoes I buy here are really really wet and soggy when mashed,...even if I dry them out before mashing.....anyone else had this problem and found potatoes anywhere that won't do this?? I normally buy in spinneys or geant!!! Being Irish the perfect potato is an essential for us ha ha
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 16:03
Thanks, ladies! I will start keeping them in the fridge. Notnewintown, I have been "cutting out" the sprouts and using the potatoes, and only throwing out the ones which are soft or wrinkly. It's just so annoying because I used to buy 10-15kg of potatoes at a time and store/use them for weeks without a problem. I normally buy my "staples" (rice, pasta, sugar, flour, potatoes, etc.) in bulk because I use them almost every day. Can't store 10kg of potatoes in the fridge ;), but thanks for the tip, ladies! At least they'll last a bit longer.
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 15:51
I'm with the fridge people, all my fruit and veg is stored in the fridge and they last for ages. In fact the last potatoes I bought were there for 3 weeks before I used them and they were still OK.
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 15:34
Even if they sprout, you can still eat them. I keep mine outside the fridge and they never sprout after 3 days...
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 14:29
i also keep mine in the fridge and they last a long time
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 14:09
I store them in fridge with rest of veggies and they have never sprouted. Only thing I store outside fridge is onion and garlic. I don't think any thing else can stay ok outside fridge over here. Try it.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY