re-entering school system | ExpatWoman.com

re-entering school system

Latest post on 01 March 2016 - 10:45

Hi everyone,

I have just joined the group, looking for some advice or to hear about people's experience of home schooling versus normal school. We will be moving to Qatar in the summer, my husband has been working out there for a year, he will eventually get school fees covered from his company but this won't kick in in time for this September. I have 2 girls who currently attend school here in Britain but I am considering home schooling for the first year while we settle in, look at schools etc. Once we receive the funding for school fees I am planning to re-enter them into the school system (most likely September 2017). However I am worried that home schooling for a year will be detrimental to their school application, not that I am worried about their progress or our teaching plan, but as far as I know home schooling is kind of unheard of in the middle east it isn't really an option for them but I know some ex pats do it. Has anyone every home schooled and then entered children back into a normal school, and if so were there any implications or problems? I have contacted the admissions team from the school I am thinking to send them to and they said they don't have much experience of home schooling matters and recommended me to this forum, can anyone advise?!

thanks!

Latest post on 13 April 2016 - 19:25
Hi ummsana, Just thought I'd ask you how was your trip to Doha during the Easter holidays ? Hope you and the kids enjoyed yourself. Have you managed to sort out the schooling? I have been in Doha for just under 3 weeks. All the paperwork done now allhamdullilah. We managed to get permission from SEC too and my son started school here on Sunday. If you need any questions answering than feel free to ask.
Latest post on 04 March 2016 - 03:34
Thanks for the tips and information. It's useful to know someone who has been through same thing :)
Latest post on 03 March 2016 - 14:05
No you don't need immunisation record for when you go now on holiday but when you do move permanently in Shaa Allah than schools do ask for immunisation record so have it for than.
Latest post on 03 March 2016 - 10:35
I drive here in the UK and have been doing all the driving and school runs alongside everything else for the past year so I've become quite dependant on my car which I think is something I will miss. I didn't think about getting a driver to take them to school that's a good idea. Are you able to get female drivers over there? My husband will be travelling a lot for his job so he won't be able to do school runs, will have to be bus or driver. Mine will be turning 5 and 6 this year so should be finishing school same time and can travel together in sha Allah. Thanks for the tip of passports etc we have all renewed our passports in the past year or so so in sha Allah that shouldn't be an issue and I will also visit the bank before we leave. Do you need immunisations in order to travel just for 3 weeks or only when permanently moving?
Latest post on 03 March 2016 - 03:41
No I have not driven in Qatar. I do not even drive here in the UK even though I have a licence. The first time around my hubby did the pick and drop from school as he would drop in the morning n go straight to work and than pick up in his lunch hour. It was too hectic for him. This time he has told me that he can't do that so I will either need to drive or we might get a driver. I do not feel comfortable using the school bus for my younger one who is 3.5 yrs old at the moment. Another thing is that nursery and reception year in most schools finish one hour early compared to year 1 onwards so we have to make some kind of arrangement for that too as my younger one will be starting reception in September. The school you mentioned only opened recently so they will more than likely have no waiting list. The school that my son went too was very new too and they had no waiting list at the time either. Make sure you take immunisation record for your children from the GP once you do move in Shaa Allah as schools do ask for them. In Shaa Allah when you travel now in the next few weeks , make sure you n your children passports have 6 months validity to enter Qatar and you have a credit card to make the visa payment at the airport. Another thing is to let your bank know that you will be travelling abroad so when you go use your card, they do not block it. These are small and silly little things but it helps once you are there to avoid any issues,
Latest post on 03 March 2016 - 03:11
Yeh it's not been easy, I've been wanting to move over there since my husband went but he had a very hectic training schedule and some assessments to pass before he could bring family over. So whatever it takes for us to make the move we will have to do it. Otherwise we only get to see him once every 2-3 months and it's tough. Yes hopefully it should be easier to get in and there should be less competition for places. Having said that it was this school that told me they couldn't comment on the home schooling scenario and we would need to put names down in advance to guarantee a place but I have a feeling they were just covering themselves on that as it's a new school so shouldn't have a big waiting list. I think I would also like to view other schools too just to compare. My husband has work accommodation where we will stay with him, I can't remember the name of the area but it's not too far from the airport as he has to travel there for work. As for traffic and driving... I'm not sure how I will handle that one yet! My husband travels a lot so I would be responsible for getting kids to school but the thought of driving in Doha feels quite daunting at the moment. Have you ever driven over there or plan to drive? How will your kids get to school? I think the school we are looking at will offer a bus service so I may have to take advantage of that.
Latest post on 03 March 2016 - 02:23
I live more towards central Manchester. I totally understand what you mean about just wanting to live as a family. I lived away from hubby for 5 months the first time and this time he has been away since December so I don't know how you coped for a year. I just googled ORYX school as I have never heard of it. If it is a school for Qatar airways employees than is it not easy for you to secure school places for your children? Where is your accommodation? Traffic is horrendous in Doha so it is better to live near school and work.
Latest post on 02 March 2016 - 21:55
Really, wow what a coincidence :-) where abouts in Manchester? I'm over Lancashire way, Bury. No we have never visited Qatar but will be going over for the Easter holidays to see the country and start the visa process. To be honest I've looked at and contacted so many schools recently online I've lost track of which ones! The one that is sticking out the most to me though is Oryx as this is a school exclusively for Qatar Airways staff (who my husband works for) so there would be less competition here, however it's a new school so currently no reviews available... I have heard Doha College and English speaking school are popular choices but I guess they come with a waiting list. I am also a bit wary of home schooling - it wasn't really my first choice but I've had enough of being here on my own so just needed to find a way for me and kids to move but I would prefer them to be in school.
Latest post on 02 March 2016 - 19:36
Omg I am in Manchester too. No I have never home schooled. The first time I went, I had already secured a place in school for my son to start in September. We went after the end of school year and after the school holidays , he started school from day one. This time allhamdullilah he has a school place to start in April so when I do go end of March, it will be Easter holidays there too and he will start after the holidays. We have been told by school that SEC will grant permission if we take the offer letter/email, school fee invoice paid and the RP and SEC has told us the same thing as my husband went to their office. Have you visited Qatar at all since your husband has been gone ? Tbh I m abit vary of home schooling as the schools ask got reports etc. Family is telling me not to put my younger one in school as we will have to fund his reception year fees ourselves but me and hubby do not want to do that so will be sending him to schools too. Which schools have you contacted in Qatar?
Latest post on 02 March 2016 - 19:18
Sorry I also meant to ask was there any period you tried home schooling or did you miss any time at school? I have asked at the school about the effect of home schooling for a while then going back to school but they said they don't really have experience on the matter but as my kids are native English speakers it shouldn't be an issue. I'm just scared to teach them at home for a year and the school to say that it's an issue ..
Latest post on 02 March 2016 - 19:12
Hi hkhan, Thanks so much for your reply, it's a relief to know others are having similar experiences with the schooling system! I want my kids to go to a good British school and I also want to work. If we get the funding for school fees by January it sounds like there's hope for them to start earlier. I would also like to go round and visit schools as the choice just seems so overwhelming right now plus waiting lists! My husband has been in Doha for nearly a year now, if it was just myself to consider I would have moved already but got to consider kids. We are going over there in 2 weeks to start the visa process then permanent move will take place in June/ July all being well! So it's possible to get an offer letter mid way through the year and take it to the SEC? And is this located in Doha? I'm living in Manchester at the moment, where abouts are you?
Latest post on 02 March 2016 - 16:13
Hi ummsana, I read your post yesterday and feel I needed to reply. I have been in your position twice, trying to find school places. My husband moved to Qatar in Feb 2014 and me and the kids moved in August 2014. At the time only had one school going child who I managed to secure a school place for September 2014. I did that while I was still in the uk. The company which my husband was working for was not providing us with a school allowance so we had to choose for the cheaper option plus all the good schools had very long waiting list. Anyway my husband lost his job in March 2015 so we had to relocate back to the UK. Allhamdullilah he managed to get another job in Qatar and moved in early December. Me and the kids are still in the UK and are hoping to relocate by the end of the month (after hubby passes his probation). This time round I need to look for school places for both my children but allhamdullilah schooling is paid for. Like you I got told by all the schools about the deadline to start school in Qatar. If you are coming from abroad,the deadline is the 31st of January and not after that. This is what DESS, Doha College etc told me. This was very frustrating for us as I didn't want to relocate before hubby's probation was over but than didn't wanna wait till end of July ( which is when the school terms end here in the UK). My husband went and spoke to SEC ( Supereme Education Coucil) , who basically either gives permission or not for your child to start mid way after the deadline. They said if your child has a place in school, bring the offer letter and your child's RP to them and they will let them start school. My older son has managed to secure a school place starting on 10th of April. We will take the offer letter from school and his RP to SEC once me and the kids get to Qatar and I'm Shaa Allah he will start from the 10th of April which is when the last term on school starts. At this stage my younger one is just in playgroup so I am just looking for him to start in September in Reception year. My hubby's company pays from year 1 and above so we will have to pay for a year ourselves. If you have any questions than don't hesitate to ask as I have just been through this all recently. Up until last week my son had no school place and now he has managed to secure one in one of the best schools in Doha. Just hoping my husband passes his probation and than we can all relocate. Where in the UK are you ?
Latest post on 02 March 2016 - 15:30
Hi DesertExpat, Thanks for your reply. My kids are turning 5 and 6 this year so they are still early primary school. Ironically the school fees should be available from my husband's company by January 2017 but the schools I have contacted say they only take kids on in September (which is apparently the case with nearly all schools in Qatar) and not at any other time of year. Yes I think the next best thing is a back up plan which would probably be to continue home schooling if they didn't accept us into school. I have school reports from this year and the previous year for my eldest daughter which I will keep, just worrying they will turn around and say the home schooling for a whole year is an issue. Hopefully it won't be but I guess I'll have to take that chance!
Latest post on 01 March 2016 - 11:52
Not in Qatar, so if someone more local contradicts me, take their word. We investigated the possibility of a home Ed stop gap when moving to KSA, and most schools were not amenable. They wanted reports from previous schools proir to entry. However, if the company education allowance won't start for another year, does that mean your kids are very early primary, and so most schools wouldn't have expected them to start school, and hence won't be expecting reports? If you couldn't access schools sept 2017, would you be prepared to either home Ed for longer, or return to the UK and reintegrate there? ie I'd have a back up plan incase it proves impossible. Or could you look at starting school mid year, and paying the fees out of your own pocket? You'd have reports from June/July 2016, and would be looking to put them in Easter 2017, so no further reports would have been issued?