buying a car - what did you do? | ExpatWoman.com

buying a car - what did you do?

Latest post on 08 December 2016 - 10:22
Some great advice here, especially to start by hiring for the first few months. I would add that used cars can be a great deal especially if they still have a couple years of dealer warranty, that way if anything breaks after you get it, it will get fixed. Also the dealers have sales periods on when they will really discount the prices. If at all possible, go for a cheaper car that you can buy rather than taking out a big loan. It will really help if something unexpected comes along. No matter where you buy your car, you should haggle haggle haggle. It's totally expected. Even when you rent a car, you should push them for a discount. I managed to get 20% off the first price quoted to me for a rental. Good luck!
Latest post on 06 December 2016 - 14:12
[u'>[b'>NEW CAR:[/b'>[/u'> Always stay under budget. the monthly installments might seem very small but keep in mind the economy here and job stability. you want to be able to maintain the payments. I would say 8% or less of your monthly income, because you have to keep in mind car registration costs and insurance, as well as Salik and the occasional speeding/parking fine! [u'>[b'>USED CAR:[/b'>[/u'> Al Futtaim Auto Mall is really good, all cars are checked for service history. You may pay a bit higher than a used car on Dubizzle, but you have the assurance of a proper company. They have a big outlet in Al Awir auto mall.
Latest post on 06 December 2016 - 13:22
Hi, I would suggest renting a car for the first few months as buying is a bigger investment and best to avoid in the first year. If its a car from the dealers then most often you have to pay a 20% down-payment, insurance, opening a salik account etc. or if its from an individual buyer then you have to get a service check done as well as check the car's history as well as any hidden issues with the car. Buying a 2nd car also means you are buying someone's problems :D On the other hand renting a car is a much more safer and an easier option to start with. I rented a car from Yzer Motors. I got a budget car as all I cared about was just a car that took me from point A to B :D They had luxury cars too if you prefer that. Overall the service was good and they were quite flexible in picking up the car and it was easy for me to extend the days as well. This is the link if you want to use them. [url=https://yzermotors.com/en/vehicle/rent'>link[/url'> If you are lucky to be from the countries where its permissible to exchange your licence for an UAE one then renting a car it is!! Oh and dont forget the crazy taxi drivers on the streets. Safe driving!!
Latest post on 30 March 2016 - 16:12
I have seen many people suffer after buying new cars here and taking lengthy car loans out. If you decide to buy try to get something within your budget. Please also be aware that God forbid you lose your job the banks can change their tune on you if you become between jobs, it can become quite a palava. I saw quite a few people in this situation where they had to hand vehicles back to the banks, who would then auction of the cars at much lower prices and they would have to continue to pay the difference after the car was sold. I agree with the other ladies to rent for a while to take you time and see what you like, you will find with Ramadan coming soon there are often special deals and discounts - Al Habtoor Motors is usually good with those deals (Mitsubishi) If you choose to buy second hand, there are second hand car agencies, used car auctions as well as Dubizzle. A word of advice if you choose this route: Do not purchase any car without having an independent mechanic inspecting it first and you must find out the vehicles history. Best of luck
Latest post on 30 March 2016 - 11:09
If you want to purchase then dubbizle is the best platform where you can easily buy car.
Latest post on 28 March 2016 - 18:17
Is down payment still mandatory 20% for buying?
Latest post on 10 March 2016 - 08:11
Try Yaseer rent a car or diamond lease for short term hire. I'm sure there are plenty of others but I've used both of these and they were good.
Latest post on 09 March 2016 - 21:18
Oh! Thanks so much - I didn't even think of that. Great idea. :)
Latest post on 09 March 2016 - 17:58
Hiring cars short term is the best way forward. You'll have to both obtained UAE driving licences to drive your own cars and the insurance policies are only available with UAE licence.
Latest post on 09 March 2016 - 17:55
Most people hire for a month or 2. Gives you time to look around and see if there are any deals on. It's not long till Ramadan really.
Latest post on 09 March 2016 - 17:43
Hi again, I'm looking for advice on buying a car - we need two, one for me to do school runs, shopping etc, and one for my husband to go back and forth to work (DIP to DIFC and back)... so far we have none and are about to move away from our convenient right-next-to-a-metro-stop apartment into our bungalow. How did you go about getting your cars when you first arrived? The prospect of trawling through the car salesyards with two (bored, tired) children around isn't great. My husband is still getting his license, I haven't exchanged my license to a UAE one yet. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it - and my son starts school soon. Help!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY