If only Recipe Measurements had a global standard! | ExpatWoman.com

If only Recipe Measurements had a global standard!

Latest post on 10 March 2016 - 15:40
Well ... a stick of butter makes perfect sense if your dairies make butter in sticks instead of these stupid grams!!! And I have several cookbooks I cannot use because they ask for grams. How exactly does one measure grams? I have a cup measure that I bought for nothing but now I need to invest in a scale for my food? I agree the frustration can work both ways, that's why I think there's a need for a universal standard in cookbooks. The conversion table in the link at the end of the article in my previous post converts from cups to grams and vice versa and should help you to use your recipe books that give the measures in cups. As you say you are going to have a problem with recipes that use sticks to measure butter rather than grams just as I do since I don't find butter sold in sticks either, so I have no idea how much of the 500 gram block of butter I have in front of me equals a 'stick', whereas a recipe in grams would tell me exactly how much to use and leave no room for error if I use a scale. As the article says most of us have no idea how much a "stick" of butter weighs. You may as well ask me how how long is a piece of string! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERAyGfCuZD8
Latest post on 10 March 2016 - 14:38
Well ... a stick of butter makes perfect sense if your dairies make butter in sticks instead of these stupid grams!!! And I have several cookbooks I cannot use because they ask for grams. How exactly does one measure grams? I have a cup measure that I bought for nothing but now I need to invest in a scale for my food?
Latest post on 10 March 2016 - 12:39
I don't often use recipes but when I do I still get confused when recipes call for 'cups of flour' and 'sticks of butter', can never instantly recall what that converts to in grams. So intending to experiment with an exciting new recipe today that's given in "cups and sticks" I was hunting for an at a glance easy calculator to print out. I came across this amusing article and it seems to be a widely shared frustration, so thought I would share! There's a link to the conversion table at the end too. But if only there was a global uniform recipe measurement it would be so much easier. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/equipment/dear-americans-im-fed-up-with-your-stupid-cup-measurements/#

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY