Maybe a move from Abu Dhabi to Bahrain | ExpatWoman.com

Maybe a move from Abu Dhabi to Bahrain

Latest post on 16 March 2016 - 13:06

Hello all,

We are from the UK with a 4 year old daughter...
Maybe on the move to Bahrain in a few months so I'm looking for a little feedback...

Where is the best location to live in Bahrain, looking at a villa, preferably with a swimming pool?

Opinion on the best British curriculum schooling and after school activities such as gymnastics.. swimming etc?

What attractions are around?

What are the roads/traffic and drivers like? (Here in AD a lot of drivers have their own way of driving which causes accidents) such as no use of indicators, hard shoulder driving, turning at the last second, cutting in front of you, shall I go on)
:(

Please advise me on the positives and negatives of living in Bahrain?

Thank you in advance

Latest post on 21 March 2016 - 13:03
Hello jeahh47, Wowwwwwww that is lots of useful information... Fantastic... thank you so much :) St. Christopher's School and the British school of Bahrain are the ones I have favoured by searches and positive feedback on the internet, however, we will have to visit the schools and also a few others in person. Glad to hear the driving is far better in Bahrain :) If anything moves AD end we will be taking a visit over to the Kingdom. Thanks again for all the information and I will be back in touch once there is movement. Kind Regards :)
Latest post on 17 March 2016 - 08:00
Hello all, We are from the UK with a 4 year old daughter... Maybe on the move to Bahrain in a few months so I'm looking for a little feedback... Where is the best location to live in Bahrain, looking at a villa, preferably with a swimming pool? Opinion on the best British curriculum schooling and after school activities such as gymnastics.. swimming etc? What attractions are around? What are the roads/traffic and drivers like? (Here in AD a lot of drivers have their own way of driving which causes accidents) such as no use of indicators, hard shoulder driving, turning at the last second, cutting in front of you, shall I go on) :( Please advise me on the positives and negatives of living in Bahrain? Thank you in advance Hi JennyForrest Firstly, welcome. My husband and are from the UK and first moved to Bahrain in 2008. We then moved to Dubai (2010-2015) and now back in Bahrain. Bahrain is obviously considerably smaller than the UAE and with that come restrictions on what schools/activities etc are available. [u'>Schools[/u'> St Christophers School is generally considered to the best UK based school on the island. However, expensive and quite hard to gain a place as highly sought after (based in Saar). British School of Bahrain - again, very good. Nadeen School - where my two children were based when we first moved here is good also (based in Um Al Hassam in a large converted villa). [u'>Places To Live[/u'> Dependent, like AD or Dubai, best choices are where your DH will be working and/or your daughter goes to school. Manama Manama is the capital city of Bahrain. It is also the largest city in the Kingdom. Historically, Manama has been restricted to what is now known as the Manama Souq and the Manama Fort (now the Ministry of Interior) to its south. However the city has now grown to include a number of newer suburban developments as well as older neighboring villages that have been engulfed by the growth of the city. Reef Island is a brand new(ish) and still developing community of apartments and villas, based in Manama, Adliya Adliya is a busy and multicultural area in Bahrain. It is a popular residential and commercial area and it is known as the bohemian area due to its many cultural aspects. Many young families, expats and Bahrainis live in Adliya’s apartments and villas. The area is popular due to many cafes, shops galleries, with the heart of the neighborhood including a pedestrian square making socializing easy. A two bedroom apartment in Adliya will cost approximately 700BHD per month. Juffair Juffair is a bustling area located in Manama city that has many hotels, shops, restaurants, apartments and villas. It is popular with expats and the commercial retail in the area reflects this with restaurants such as MacDonalds, Nando’s and Starbucks. The Bahrain school and the Modern Knowledge School are both located in Juffair. The area attracts young expats and Bahrainis. The prices of apartments vary greatly and a three bedroom apartment can cost anywhere between 500 and 1000BHD per month. Saar Saar is a suburb of Bahrain, alongside a village located northwest of the island. The area is typically inhabited by affluent families, ambassadors and expatriates residing in compounds, large villas or gated communities. Originally a farm land, Saar is greener than urban residential areas in Bahrain with less traffic movement in its neighborhoods. A four bedroom villa in Saar costs anywhere between 1000 and 2000BHD per month. Amwaj Islands Amwaj Islands is a group of man-made islands built for the purposes of being a residential gated community. Amwaj Islands have a complete sea view and are popular with expats as they can purchase a home here with 100% freehold land ownership of villas and apartments. The island contains residential, commercial, service apartments and retail spaces, as well as a marina. Amwaj is a true community with facilities that include a private school, a hospital, a fuel station, a fitness center and a lagoon side dinning and cafe district. A two bedroom apartment on one of the Islands will cost around 700BHD. Just a taster of the many areas to live here though. [u'>Activities[/u'> Plenty to do for families. There is the main British Club in Um Al Hassam and is based right next door virtually to the Nadeen School (many activities for children here) Dilmun Club, Country Club and Rugby Club also hold many events (swimming, drama, ballet, dance etc etc). Also, of course, many others as in horse riding or private clubs of a similar nature. You also have the waterpark based on the top of the Bahrain City Centre Mall and the Lost Paradise of Dilmun. [u'>Housing[/u'> Prices vary as to where you wish to live - I have given a few options above but 4 bed villas tend to start around (for a British standard of living) BD700 to BD1500 and upwards. Unlike AD and Dubai, villas usually come furnished and the rental amount includes gas, water and electricity (although prices have gone up recently). For example, I pay BD1100 for a 3 bed plus maid room (3 floors) by the British Club. One month deposit, three months in advance, then pay monthly by direct debit. Normally, a one year contract. [u'>Transport[/u'> Cars are generally cheap to rent or buy. Taxis are far more expensive than the UAE. Driving is far far better than AD or Dubai (as well as tonnes of parking space) - although, still a little inconsiderate at times in terms of driving skills. [u'>Beverages[/u'> Cheaper than UAE and no license is necessary (I am aware for most westerners) to purchase. Shops (BMMI/GBI Express) are available in such places as by Gulf Hotel and Mina Salman or online for home delivery. Anything, else I have missed, someone else may update or indeed, join one of EW Coffee Mornings and we can meet up if you do indeed to come over. Feel free also to ask any other further questions. Best of luck!