What does "home" mean to you? | ExpatWoman.com

What does "home" mean to you?

Latest post on 27 March 2016 - 15:03

Hi all! We'd love your help with an editorial feature for the site.... We just want you to answer one question for us, and that's, what does "home" mean to you?

Thanks in advance! :) EW Admin

Latest post on 21 August 2018 - 01:44
Home means different for different people. For me, its a place which i have with my husband. A place, to which we always look forward to come back to, no matter where in the world I go. A place that is warm and full of love that when others come to my home they too get to feel that love and joy. POSITIVITY.
Latest post on 01 March 2018 - 11:08
It's like being in heaven https://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/forum/chit-chat/what-does-home-mean-to-you
[url=https://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/forum/chit-chat/what-does-home-mean-to-you '>https://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/forum/chit-chat/what-does-home-mean-to-you [/url'> <a href="https://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/forum/chit-chat/what-does-home-mean-to-you ">https://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/forum/chit-chat/what-does-home-mean-to-you </a>
Latest post on 01 March 2018 - 10:27
It's like being in heaven https://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/forum/chit-chat/what-does-home-mean-to-you
Latest post on 28 February 2018 - 10:55
Home is the place where I know that I can be vulnerable without being judged, pushed outside my comfort limits and just be myself. Home to me is the people you surround yourself with who accepts you for you, but always inspires you to become a better version of you.
Latest post on 17 October 2017 - 13:39
Home" isn’t a place; it’s a feeling. Where you have your loved one around. Smiles when you return from your office tired and drain, and that smile brighten you up. Where you have your dad caring for you all the time and your mum comfort and love and her hand made food. Where you enjoy your crazy fun loving fights with your siblings. Being an Expat you do always miss being at Home".
Latest post on 13 September 2016 - 20:34
Home for me is where my immediate family is. Feeling at home at other places is fine but Home is where heart is. Well, I could pray a bit more cooler weather and some rain :biggrin:
Latest post on 20 August 2016 - 16:42
HOME IS WHERE 'LIFE IS GOOD'
Latest post on 21 July 2016 - 09:37
Home is where your roots are and where you know you belong no matter how you feel :)
Latest post on 20 July 2016 - 20:14
Home is here at the moment... but its just a temporary place to call home. Hubby and I enjoy quiet nights in, basically doing nothing is our favourite pastime.
Latest post on 17 April 2016 - 19:22
Having moved and lived in 7 countries in the past 16 years and Dubai will soon be my 8th - I get asked a lot "where is home for you?". My answer now is that I consider myself and my family citizens of the world, every place we have lived in was home to us, we lived the life and the system of these countries, kids attended school, made lifetime friends and wonderful memories. Like most of you will know its not always rosy and the whole packing and unpacking is a pain in the butt, reestablishing yourself and your family can be challenging, you get expat blues which is just part of the whole process - but these places will forever be a part of our lives because it was a home for us and gave us the experiences that has helped shape us into the people we are today.
Latest post on 05 April 2016 - 04:10
For me "HOME"is the only place where i can be myself..no pretensions no competitions and no trying hard to please anybody else...why because HOME is where my family lives in..with unconditional love,trust and honesty resides.
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 10:20
You can feel "at" home in lots of places - we just had a holiday where we all felt very "at home" but when we left we said we were going home..I haven't lived where I spent my childhood since then but I still call it my home town and my house in the UK is home because it's still full of my things...My mum always used to say that family make a house a home so my home is where my family is - except that between the 4 of us we are in 3 countries !! so it's a difficult question to answer...a better question would be, what is the one thing you would only do in your own home !! lol (watch telly in my jarmies with a large glass of wine eating pizza out of the box lol) Definitely the last bit! Fridays at home (pre 2011 on a cold, frosty Autumn evening): Finish work at 3.15pm. Other half's on his weekly lad's night out so... go to Tesco for a bottle of their £2.50 wine, get home and put heating on, nice hot shower, change into my pyjamas, order a Chinese takeaway, watch Look North, Emmerdale, Corrie, Eastenders, QI then QVC. Go to bed a bit squiffy and content. It's the simple pleasures like these I miss.
Latest post on 03 April 2016 - 23:11
You can feel "at" home in lots of places - we just had a holiday where we all felt very "at home" but when we left we said we were going home..I haven't lived where I spent my childhood since then but I still call it my home town and my house in the UK is home because it's still full of my things...My mum always used to say that family make a house a home so my home is where my family is - except that between the 4 of us we are in 3 countries !! so it's a difficult question to answer...a better question would be, what is the one thing you would only do in your own home !! lol (watch telly in my jarmies with a large glass of wine eating pizza out of the box lol)
Latest post on 31 March 2016 - 13:28
Home is back to my home country to my own cozy house:). A rented house cannot be "home" for me.
Latest post on 31 March 2016 - 10:59
Home is England!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: I love and miss her terribly and can't wait to get back :) But that doesn't mean I don't like living in Dubai. I like Dubai a lot. I just miss so many things about home - the UK.
Latest post on 30 March 2016 - 15:12
Like seasand, home is where I take off my bra, walk barefoot, no make up on, say whatever on my mind, be with my beloved ones, it doesn't matter we are at home country or abroad, a hotel room or appartment, home is where we all can say, eat, think and do whatever we want, and be happy with it. That's home for us - my family I mean-.
Latest post on 30 March 2016 - 15:08
Home is where I can feel safe and shut the door from the world outside. Home is where I can be myself and say what I feel. Home is the place(s) I have keys to. Back home doesn't exist any more, not in the same way it used to. Home will change to wherever I move,whenever I move. If it doesn't feel like home, I'll move again.
Latest post on 30 March 2016 - 10:57
Home is that place where we can take rest after having a whole day stress.
Latest post on 30 March 2016 - 10:25
When I think of "Home"- what flashes instantly is the childhood home I grew up in my home country. This was the house I lived for 15 years and the longest in any house so far. The familiarity of the streets, the warmth of our neighbours and friends, the sacrifices my parents did to give my sister and me the best chokes me everytime I think about it. I have my own family now, I hope my son will remember something special about his childhood like I still do.
Latest post on 29 March 2016 - 20:11
I agree with livelytrish. I no longer live in Dubai but I miss it the way I used to miss my country of origin when I lived in Dubai! For me it is all about the relationships you form with people; this could be family but it also extends to adopted ex pat families too
Latest post on 29 March 2016 - 17:52
I think the term "home" has two meanings, one is the place we come from, the place which made us who we are, and the other, the place we feel emotionally most "at home". And the latter can mean two things, either as several ladies have said, just the four walls which contain their family life, or the country in which they live and in the case of some expats, have learned to love. I think all of us are like snails, we carry our houses on our backs, even in places where we are not permanently resident, when we leave work we "go home" to that "shell" in which we live with our family. I live in a house which I love, surrounded by people whom I love, in a country which I love - that's my home. But my roots are in another country,and I carry its bones within me. So, for me home is two places, the place I come from, and the place I came to.
Latest post on 29 March 2016 - 17:29
Intresting answers, thar many don't feel at home where they live; that must be quite depressing. Not depressing, just realistic when so many of us could have to be out of here in 30 days if things go pear shaped. I would only feel at home in a place where I know I could stay permanently if I wished. Ok, for a lot of people today, they don't have the option of going somewhere safe if there are problems, by the way I do; but I have lived in various places in my life and I have not always felt at home where I live and those occasions for me hasn't been very good looking back. I do feel at home where I live today, but I know it's not my forever home, but will probably never go back to the place I was born either. And laws changes every day....you just don't know about the future that there will be a place that you can stay permanently without strings attached.
Latest post on 29 March 2016 - 17:16
Intresting answers, thar many don't feel at home where they live; that must be quite depressing. Not depressing, just realistic when so many of us could have to be out of here in 30 days if things go pear shaped. I would only feel at home in a place where I know I could stay permanently if I wished.
Latest post on 29 March 2016 - 16:35
Intresting answers, thar many don't feel at home where they live; that must be quite depressing.
Latest post on 29 March 2016 - 15:51
I stood at the top of the Oman Grand Canyon last weekend and stood in awe of the majestic view. It certainly was a show stopper. My only regret was that my two oldest children were not there with us to enjoy the sight and wonderment we felt, but our youngest was. I had a sense of belonging when I was up there, just like I do when I come home every night after work, to my Hubby and my Son. Home to me is not a location, its not bricks and mortar. To me its a sense of being understood, not having to impress, not having to put on a show, being accepted, its just being quirky little old me, any where in the world and feeling OK with that .
Latest post on 29 March 2016 - 15:01
Home is where I can kick off my shoes, hang up my bra, wash off my face and lounge with DH on the sofa. Pure heaven. xxxx:heart: I am pretty sure it's not going to end up in the editorial feature ;) Drat. There was me hoping to become famous.
Latest post on 28 March 2016 - 22:46
Home is where I can't be kicked out of for arbitrary reasons. Home is where I have a say in how the money collected from me - in taxes and fees - is used. Home is where I have a say in who runs the place. Home is where I can say what I believe and I'm not afraid of the repercussions. So 'where I can say what I believe and I'm not afraid of the repercussions '. Really? Is there anywhere where this is really true? I somewhat doubt it, unfortunately. Freedom of speech is a myth these days
Latest post on 28 March 2016 - 19:45
Home is where I grew up, where I feel a sense of belonging!
Latest post on 28 March 2016 - 17:42
Home is where I can't be kicked out of for arbitrary reasons. Home is where I have a say in how the money collected from me - in taxes and fees - is used. Home is where I have a say in who runs the place. Home is where I can say what I believe and I'm not afraid of the repercussions.
Latest post on 28 March 2016 - 16:26
Home is where I am happy. It's where I feel safe. It's where my children and husband are happy and somewhere where we make wonderful memories, learn many lessons, share celebrations and comfort each other in times of need. I also think that home is something we work hard for, plan for and take pride in. Home should be your sanctuary.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY