Airbnb Options - Getting Most Bang for the Buck While in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Airbnb Options - Getting Most Bang for the Buck While in Dubai

Latest post on 03 April 2016 - 18:24

Hello! I am traveling without my child and hubby to Dubai in exactly a month from now. I have not booked my accommodations. Airbnb offers the best prices for ENTIRE HOME stays rather than using hotels. I am also debating on location to stay because I want to join a THURSDAY MORNING COFFEE gathering with the expat women the morning after my arrival to make some local friends while I'm visiting and contemplating an expat life there. So, my concern is getting to the EMIRATES GOLF CLUB when I have no clue yet my surroundings that morning. Planning to take UBER but also hoping that my app for uber works well considering it will be a USA mobile server phone... so not even sure yet about being able to use it. Yeah, looks like I have a couple of concerns here that could be answered:

a) Where to focus staying at in Dubai to get the most bang for my buck (like not having to hire uber or taxi everywhere)

b) What suggestions do you ladies have for using UBER app while "roaming" in Dubai?

c) Does it make better sense to stay a few days in Dubai then find another place to stay in Abu Dhabi instead of rushing back to Dubai? I want to visit Abu Dhabi just to get a glimpse of Ferrari World and YAS... but not sure what other places to see that are more my type in Abu Dhabi. (I like having afternoon tea; or organic style places to visit, as well as more Arabian explorations like when I visited PETRA in Jordan.)

THANKS in advance for all your tips! Even hanging out with more ladies there the entire time would be oh so welcome to me!!!

Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 15:15
What is up with the random use of capitalization?
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 12:46
Just a note about the Metro (train) There are 2 classes of travel - you need to get prepaid gold or silver swipe cards. The silver class gets very crowded most of the time - carriages for either only men or only women and children in silver (second class) . Gold class has seats and is mixed sexes but there is only one carriage - either at back or front of the train ( it also gets crowded).
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 11:22
I want to say THANK YOU to all of you for your responses & suggestions. I am now feeling more at ease about my solo travel there. I've booked AL FAYROOZ LOUNGE for Afternoon Tea on Mother's Day alone.... Booked the requisite Lake Ride at the Fountain and the early morning ride to AT THE TOP! I will stick to the HOHO (hop on hop off) as many of you suggested THE BIG BUS TOUR. And I was encouraged to use the train as well. For a Californian and Floridian, it is unique. Heard English translations are everywhere.... Many more plans but I think I will do most of my stay between hotels and airbnb just to get a taste of both! THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH!!!
Latest post on 07 April 2016 - 15:21
Agree with the Big Bus Tour suggestion - have at least 1 day touring the city - the package includes a really good tour through the souks and around the Creek area. It also goes to Sharjah and you'd be able to visit the Blue Souk. There are a number of places you can start this tour so it doesn't really matter where you stay and you can hop on and off as much as you want. Someone suggested the Sheik Mohammad Cultural Centre - this is a really good idea and they offer a number of different tours, talks and options including lunches and breakfasts. It will help you understand the culture and history of Dubai. With regards to Abu Dhabi it is easy to get a taxi there or you can stay - there are plenty of good hotels. If you are going I'd recommend visiting the Grand Mosque and I'm pretty sure that Abu Dhabi has a Big Bus Tour as well. The Palace Hotel does coffee with gold on the top! Bit of a gimmick but I like it! On the getting around Dubai front - it is possible to hire a car but this depends on how confident you are driving. As others have said Careem and Uber are great but don't rule out the RTA taxis - depending on where you stay you may find plenty of them around too. Enjoy your trip - there is lots to do and it's safe and easy to be a solo traveller here.
Latest post on 07 April 2016 - 05:51
Would recommend staying around the JBR area. Lots to do within walking distance. Also close enough to do a day trip to Abu Dhabi (do not need to overnight there). I would focus my visit on the Grand Mosque. However, Dubai is a driving community so you will need a car to get anywhere. Normally would recommend you renting a car but there are just too many dangerous drivers here to make this a worthwhile option. ValGal.
Latest post on 06 April 2016 - 18:07
I think Careem is better priced than UBER, am I right or wrong? What about hotel apartments in Al Barsha for example, central location and many reasonable options?
Latest post on 06 April 2016 - 16:04
You can get a visitor Etisalat or DU sim card at the airport in arrivals - much easier. You will need an unlocked phone to use one though. Or just buy an international roaming package through your current service provider for your trip.
Latest post on 06 April 2016 - 15:51
I think you can install a local phone service on your mobile while in Dubai - to reduce your bills? That's why I mentioned going to a DU ( phone provider) office.The one in Mall of the Emirates is just outside the exit from the metro. Don't be worried about "touring alone". There are "Big Bus Tours" of Dubai - you may know the "Big Bus" company - its also in London. You can pay for that at Mall of the Emirates ( I sound like an advert for the place!). If you don't know it - it's maybe the best way to see Dubai - you can get on and off it at the various places where it stops. You'll get a good impression of Dubai from that .To go further afield you might want to hire a car - so bring your full driving licence. I think there are buses that goes to Abu Adhabi and elsewhere.
Latest post on 06 April 2016 - 10:14
I recommend downloading Careem, and using both it and Uber. The cars and drivers are the same, and by signing up for both, you can benefit from both company's promotion codes. Uber has a first time code: DTCMtourist http://www.visitdubai.com/en/deals-and-offers/one-free-ride-with-uber Thanks, I will do that. I still wish I could join a group of ladies when I arrive to explore Dubai.... feeling apprehensive about touring alone. Hotel stay might be better in terms of finding my way around then I will move to an airbnb....
Latest post on 06 April 2016 - 10:11
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses! Good to know stufff like Careem as another option over Uber I just feel like my phone bill might be in the thousands using the app while roaming halfway around the world.... nonetheless, I am gonna figure out everything suggested by you all. Cheers!
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 20:20
I recommend downloading Careem, and using both it and Uber. The cars and drivers are the same, and by signing up for both, you can benefit from both company's promotion codes. Uber has a first time code: DTCMtourist http://www.visitdubai.com/en/deals-and-offers/one-free-ride-with-uber
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 11:51
FD is right licenced operators only http://www.thenational.ae/business/the-life/can-dubai-tenant-sublease-property-on-airbnb
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 11:38
Technically Air BnB is illegal in the UAE as all holiday lets have to be run and managed through an agent. Careem are far better than Uber, Uber price surge too much.
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 10:51
Just a brief "look up" for Uber in Dubai - seems they are those luxury black limos. one sees at the airport that are more expensive than taxis? Uber does have entry level cars (Toyota Camry/Hyundai etc), but it's main service is Uber Black, which are generally Lexus ES models. Careem is the same. I use both of them all the time and find they cost only a bit more than a normal RTA taxi (except at peak times when obviously price goes up through demand). That being said, I'd prefer to pay a little bit more as the cars turn up, are clean, driver's are polite, they have GPS, so know where they're going and it's a generally more pleasant experience. I tend to use Careem more as you can pre-book cars. With regards to using your Uber app here, it should work as SarahLou said, I used mine in Jeddah with no problem. Enjoy your trip. I use Careem all the time too. Their drivers aren't texting or chatting on the phones as others do Yes they cost a little more but I like that I can track where they are :biggrin:
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 10:11
Just a brief "look up" for Uber in Dubai - seems they are those luxury black limos. one sees at the airport that are more expensive than taxis? Uber is not always more expensive than taxis... i use them all the time (also Careem) and find they are just as competitively priced... in fact they almost always have a cash back or special offer going on... they only tend to be more expensive when used at peak times (post midnight on weekends, etc)
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 10:09
Just a brief "look up" for Uber in Dubai - seems they are those luxury black limos. one sees at the airport that are more expensive than taxis? Uber does have entry level cars (Toyota Camry/Hyundai etc), but it's main service is Uber Black, which are generally Lexus ES models. Careem is the same. I use both of them all the time and find they cost only a bit more than a normal RTA taxi (except at peak times when obviously price goes up through demand). That being said, I'd prefer to pay a little bit more as the cars turn up, are clean, driver's are polite, they have GPS, so know where they're going and it's a generally more pleasant experience. I tend to use Careem more as you can pre-book cars. With regards to using your Uber app here, it should work as SarahLou said, I used mine in Jeddah with no problem. Enjoy your trip.
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 09:51
Just a brief "look up" for Uber in Dubai - seems they are those luxury black limos. one sees at the airport that are more expensive than taxis?
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 08:29
Hi - hope you enjoy your trip to Dubai. I may not be the best person to answer your questions but as no one else has - as far as I know there is no Uber in Dubai ( it would not be allowed). If you can find Air b&b here and your main concern is getting to Emirates Golf Club - staying somewhere like - The Greens , The Views, Jumeirha Lake Towers or even the Marina would be best/nearest. TECOM is also quite near. You can get the metro to get off at University Metro Station ( used to be called Nakeel ) which is right at the golf course . At the Greens and the Views there is a bus that takes you from small shopping centre of the Greens to the Mall of the Emirates from where you can get metro. There is a bus from here also to the metro but it doesn't run very often I find. TECOM has its metro station call Internet City Metro Station. Have you looked at a map of Dubai? These areas i mentioned are all flats not houses. Otherwise if you can take taxis you could stay in somewhere like Arabian Ranches - all houses. You would need a working phone - you can get one here from Du - phone provider - which has an office in Mall of the Emirates and elsewhere. You may not be able to walk much because of the heat. There are taxis everywhere - one just stands at the side of a road (but not the major roads or inside gated communities) and they appear. Best wishes. There is Uber and also Careem which go on your location services so if you are roaming in Dubai and have your location services on it should work here
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 08:23
Hi - hope you enjoy your trip to Dubai. I may not be the best person to answer your questions but as no one else has - as far as I know there is no Uber in Dubai ( it would not be allowed). If you can find Air b&b here and your main concern is getting to Emirates Golf Club - staying somewhere like - The Greens , The Views, Jumeirha Lake Towers or even the Marina would be best/nearest. TECOM is also quite near. You can get the metro to get off at University Metro Station ( used to be called Nakeel ) which is right at the golf course . At the Greens and the Views there is a bus that takes you from small shopping centre of the Greens to the Mall of the Emirates from where you can get metro. There is a bus from here also to the metro but it doesn't run very often I find. TECOM has its metro station call Internet City Metro Station. Have you looked at a map of Dubai? These areas i mentioned are all flats not houses. Otherwise if you can take taxis you could stay in somewhere like Arabian Ranches - all houses. You would need a working phone - you can get one here from Du - phone provider - which has an office in Mall of the Emirates and elsewhere. You may not be able to walk much because of the heat. There are taxis everywhere - one just stands at the side of a road (but not the major roads or inside gated communities) and they appear. Best wishes.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY