Food allergy testing. | ExpatWoman.com

Food allergy testing.

Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 08:37

Hi everyone, has anyone had any food allergy testing done here?

I am well aware that it is often not the most reliable method of testing however the elimination diet is proving too difficult to follow for my husband who travels a lot and has suffered from rheumatoid arthritis since childhood.

My thoughts are that if something comes up as an obvious allergen then we can at least eliminate that from his diet etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
AEW ;)

Latest post on 05 April 2016 - 11:23
I too was googling for allergy testing and came across this article: http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/why-diy-food-allergy-tests-put-health-at-risk-2012-07-14-1.467105 Based on that, I made an appointment with dr Michael Loubser, see below, the waiting time is long though, but apparently worth the wait. He is listed as pediatric but happy to see adults too. http://www.ihcdubai.com/doctors/michael-loubser/ http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic183917-pediatric-allergy-doctor--pls-recommend-forum23.aspx
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 14:50
Hi Frazzled, thanks. Yes he doesn't eat tomatos often and we have knocked them out of his diet as well as other nightshades, dairy, nuts, red meat, gluten and eggs. With his travelling however it is hard to stick to the elimination diet and as he is already skinny he can't afford to just eat salads and chicken, fish and rice, hence me putting this out there into cyberspace to see what others had experienced. Unfortunately Gluten can take 3-6 months to get out of your system and with reactions to foods possibly taking 48 hours to manifest this whole process is frustrating to say the least. So we want to cheat LOL AEW xx
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 11:40
I've recently had allergy and intolerance testing done through my doctor here and have been cutting out various foods for 2 months but have not noticed any improvement in my allergy symptoms. She has told me it is cumulative and I need to stick with it for 6 months to really see whether it will work, so the jury is still out. However, many years ago a friend in the UK had allergy testing done for her childhood rheumatoid arthritis, cut out various foods (including citrus fruits and tomatoes, I think) and it worked for her. My father suffers from osteoarthritis and found his symptoms eased after cutting out meat and dairy products. He also found homeopathy really worked for him, so you might want to think about that if you haven't already tried it.
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 11:00
Wow brie03 I certainly didn't expect to read that! Thanks for your advice!
Latest post on 04 April 2016 - 10:43
I had it done back home and had a reaction of 1/5 for shellfish but am actually anaphylactic allergic. I then had a reaction of 4/5 for chicken but have no reaction to eating chicken... I honestly wouldn't trust an allergy test....

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY