One month to go! | ExpatWoman.com

One month to go!

Latest post on 20 April 2016 - 18:02

Hi, my husband and I are moving to Dubai four weeks time.
Im scared and excited all in one panicking slighty more than usual!
We have a generous housing allowance which will cover a nice villla and my husband will be getting paid more than we both earn back in UK. We also dont have children yet but company has offered 80k per child per year for education for up to two children. We were out in Dubai in January and food doesnt seem to be any more exspensive than back home. Clothes depending on where you shop seem to be the same or a little bit more exspensive. Wine was exspensive but we don't tend to drink very often, only at new year.
After reading the post about everyone leaving now though i am scared that prices have shot up since January when we were out and now we are making a huge mistake leaving uk.
Is it as bad as people are portraying or are some people stubborn or what not and dont want to have to cut back? Living the life they moved to Dubai for to be really rich? Weve worked out we will be more comfortable in Dubai and will be able to save money but this was made on Jan prices...
Thanks.

Latest post on 24 April 2016 - 10:41
Yes. Relax. Nothing has changed in one year. Housing school fees and health insurance covered.. You would probably save or enjoy the life as much as you want as food is cheaper to affordable to luxury depending on where you shop and where you ea. Same applies to cars clothing etc et. The daily needs. Welcome on board.
Latest post on 20 April 2016 - 19:39
Agree with other replies. Nothing has changed and it is wonderful place to live and work. We are having a fab time, people are friendly, it's bright and sunny and so far this year hasn't even been too hot! (Obviously that's about to change!). Anyway don't panic- think it is perfectly normal at your stage of move to have massive cold feet but you'll be fab. Enjoy your goodbyes and enjoy the new adventure.
Latest post on 20 April 2016 - 18:46
The people who are struggling are the ones who don't get school fees paid because those are going up massively every year ie in 2012 I was paying 96k for both my kids. If we had stayed last summer, I would have been paying 148k this year. Also our rent went from 78k to over 100k in three years. If people aren't getting rent and school fees paid by the company then it is them who are struggling. You should be fine as long as both are covered. Good luck..
Latest post on 20 April 2016 - 18:17
Calm down, nothing has changed since January.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY