Going to Saudi for the first time | ExpatWoman.com

Going to Saudi for the first time

Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 12:53

For Umrah Insha'Allah. Do i need to wear Abaya all the time in Saudi or only during Umrah? I am covered but wear loose tops and pants. Don't have any Abayas or skirts :s
Please advise.
TIA

Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 16:00
We went for umrah also few years back and the only place I was not in an abaya was on my flight to saudia. Would recommend an abaya for your entire visit including airport transit. If you have a daughter consider some abaya or prayer clothes for her in the Holy cities as my friend's daughter was only 4 and she was harassed by other ladies for dressing her up in half-sleeve tops and pants. My daughter is 4 and only has/wears shorts :confused: *running to get her some conservative clothes*
Latest post on 22 April 2016 - 13:02
We went for umrah also few years back and the only place I was not in an abaya was on my flight to saudia. Would recommend an abaya for your entire visit including airport transit. If you have a daughter consider some abaya or prayer clothes for her in the Holy cities as my friend's daughter was only 4 and she was harassed by other ladies for dressing her up in half-sleeve tops and pants.
Latest post on 22 April 2016 - 10:17
Yes, Abaya required at all times.
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 21:49
Thanks Ladies. Will stick to an Abaya then.
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 15:34
I have just moved here from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. There is NO choice, you have to wear an abaya all the time when in public in the whole country, and have the means to cover your hair if you are asked to do so.
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 14:36
In Mecca and Medina you should wear abaya at all times. In other cities I have heard you can wear loose modest clothing with a headscarf but you might want to get this checked.
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 14:01
It's on EW "It is the law in Saudi Arabia for expat women to wear an abaya when they are out in public." :) But any other advice is also appreciated. Perhaps ask on the KSA forum too :)
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 13:00
It's on EW "It is the law in Saudi Arabia for expat women to wear an abaya when they are out in public." :) But any other advice is also appreciated.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY