Etiquette in attending an Arabic wedding | ExpatWoman.com

Etiquette in attending an Arabic wedding

Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 14:38

Hi Ladies, please could someone give me some advice?

I am honoured to have been invited to an Arabic wedding which will be at a hotel in RAK, starting at 8pm soon. I am really looking forward to it but I have no idea of the protocol involved for guests.

Could anyone help with what I should wear? What is the tradition regarding presents? Is there any formalities I should be aware of?

Many thanks

Latest post on 24 April 2016 - 10:24
Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.
Latest post on 22 April 2016 - 12:46
Since it is other Arabs, as Dindin described weddings are pretty similar to westerner weddings, so in terms of clothes any evening or formal dress would be fine. As for the presents, they don't usually gift at the wedding itself, but you do get them a present when you visit them in their new home for the first time.
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 17:19
Hi Cosmos! If the wedding is an Arabic wedding that is not from the GCC region, you are generally expected to be as you are at any other wedding, with exception to alcohol really.. In weddings like Egyptian, Lebanese, Syrian, Moroccan etc. they dance the night away and the weddings start late and end late.. Local (and I imagine most GCC weddings) are much quieter and calmer, as the genders are separated and not much dancing is involved :)!
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 14:55
Other Arabic
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 14:44
When you say Arabic, do you mean local or other Arabic?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY