Moving from US with toddler, what should I bulk up on in my shipment | ExpatWoman.com

Moving from US with toddler, what should I bulk up on in my shipment

Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 06:52

Hi, I am moving to Dubai in a few weeks from the USA and just wondering if there is anything I should be bulking up on that is either hard to find or expensive to buy in Dubai. Any advice? Anything you wish you had brought from home when you transferred? I have a 2y toddler.
Thanks in advance

Latest post on 29 April 2016 - 20:02
All this feedback is very much appreciated, thank you. Excellent idea on the car seat and I will definitely be doing that?
Latest post on 29 April 2016 - 18:49
Car seats are a good idea as regulations in different countries vary and the GCC is behind the times in this respect. Some OTC drugs and supplements are not allowed. Poppy seeds being a case in point. Do your research.
Latest post on 29 April 2016 - 11:27
Here are the things I stock up on when in the US: -real vanilla extract -birthday cards and gift tissue paper at the dollar stores -cheap vitamins from Target -clothes and shoes, especially for my son And, as others have mentioned, toys are very expensive here. I had my husband pick up the board game Life in the US for $17. Here, it was 200 dirhams ($54)! If you are due for a new car seat soon, you might consider putting that in your container as well.
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 19:28
Hi, since you have a container stock up on shoes all sizes..we tent to wear light leather shoes on my girls and of course whites. Swimming shoes for the beach is must, cant find them anywhere here. Motrin and tylenol not available here. Gerber food products are here but 3 times the price. WOW sippy cup for toddler sippy cup choice is slim. I dont know the *** of your toddler but bring toys for future birthdays etc. ( no peppa **** here) Oh if I had a container from usa. Feel free to ask me.
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 14:35
Don't bring party décor, there are stores like Creative Minds, Daiso etc where you can get pretty much anything you're looking for, for next to nothing.
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 14:14
I agree with what a lot of the other ladies have said....but just to add, definitely get sippy cups, they are expensive here, and they don't carry the Gerber brand here which is what my family likes to use. Ointments would be good, we use a Canadian one(polysporin) which is not available here (similar to neosporin) and I can't find anything I like as much here. Definitely clothes - every time I go to Europe or North America I buy as much as possible for the kids. Even good shoes a few sizes ahead as those are overpriced here as well. Even basic toys are overpriced here, especially if you don't want your child playing with sketchy toys from unknown brands made in China. If your family uses any herbal medicine or products (even Aveeno for instance) stock up on that. You can also order from www.iherb.com once you are here (a recommendation I found on Expat Woman - thanks ladies) which results in a big savings for our family every month or two. Children's tylenol or whatever you are used to using for fevers would be good to bring - just so that you don't have to end up switching brands to the local/UK brands for a while. Similar to what another poster said, if you use something for your child, stock up because so many little things like toothbrushes are expensive here, and you won't find the selection you are used to.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 15:21
I second mosquito repellent w/Deet, as I can only find 100% Deet here. You won't need it for most areas in Dubai, but it is great to have if you vacation outside the UAE (India, Sri Lanka,....). My advice is if there is a brand of any type of spice combination/packet (chicken bake/taco/salad dressing) that you love, I would bring it with you just to be sure. This goes for hot sauces as well. You can easily find Tabasco, but brands like Cholula are harder to find and very expensive. Park N Shop and SafestWay (yes, safe-est) supermarkets consistently stock shelf-stable products from the US and UK. While there is price markup, I find the price is worth the saved luggage space for other items. As for major Thanksgiving and Christmas items, I have found everything needed, ie. turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin, karo syrup....just make sure to stock up a few weeks in advance.
Latest post on 24 April 2016 - 17:48
If you have a birthday coming up for your child, I'd get presents there and ship over. I find toys ridiculously expensive; Lego is double the price for example. Hope that helps.
Latest post on 24 April 2016 - 17:30
Thank you everyone, I am heading to Target now to stock up? What about Dollar Tree, worth bulking up in Kids party decor, wrap/cards etc or are they reasonable there?
Latest post on 24 April 2016 - 08:49
OK original Shreddies. Mosquito repellant with Deet for the adults. Chipotle pepper powder. Good bras. Original shreddies are always in park and shop and C4
Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 20:38
i struggled the most with creams/shampoos/lotions for the LO - for example things like aquaphor are not available here! also, we use alot of organic lotions/soaps/oils that aren't readily found here (if at all) so we buy them in bulk every time we go back home. definitely books- clothes if you know where to look , you can get them here for a fair price (although it will still be more expensive than back home) if your toddler has any particular attachment to certain spoons/cups/bottles/sippies/utensils i'd suggest getting those in bulk as well. also, strangely enough, good bedding. like high thread count super soft super awesome sheets for your bed and for the LO. the ones you do find here are exorbitantly priced and not as good as any of the stuff you'd get at marshall's, tj maxx, macys, etc
Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 20:06
Books, baby medicines, good kids toothpaste and tooth brushes - basically go to target and get everything you might use and buy in bulk.
Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 17:00
Excellent thanks, I never thought of repellant. Can you sit ok or do you need nets for the mosquitos?
Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 14:39
OK original Shreddies. Mosquito repellant with Deet for the adults. Chipotle pepper powder. Good bras.
Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 09:33
Thanks Notnewintown, good advice!
Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 09:30
You're better to ask if such and such is available in Dubai. If there is something you or your toddler cannot live without (creams, toys, non-perishable food, etc.) then ask about them specifically. If someone has seen it, they are usually very helpful in posting about where and approx. cost. We don't know and your family, your tastes or habits and while we'd like to help your question is very broad. Hi, I kept it broad because I want other people's input as to what they missed to give me ideas. I am trying to avoid the "wish I thought of that..." moment once we arrive.
Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 08:12
Buy clothes for your little one. Clothes here are overpriced.
Latest post on 23 April 2016 - 07:55
You're better to ask if such and such is available in Dubai. If there is something you or your toddler cannot live without (creams, toys, non-perishable food, etc.) then ask about them specifically. If someone has seen it, they are usually very helpful in posting about where and approx. cost. We don't know and your family, your tastes or habits and while we'd like to help your question is very broad.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY