Secondary at Repton School Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Secondary at Repton School Dubai

Latest post on 26 April 2016 - 12:20

Looking for an insiders view on the Secondary school at Repton Dubai: education, positives/negatives, sports, overall school vibe. Thanks!

Latest post on 30 April 2016 - 13:25
N2016 You are welcome. It's a very difficult decision to make from afar! But having all your children in one school is a big advantage - and yours are luckily the right age group! I also have children in the Junior school and would recommend the school as a whole without hesitation. You will also possibly find some negative stuff being said about the school (and some seem pretty fired up about it!) - all I guess before our time here - and with a school of this size, that grew quickly, and in this region with a range of expectations of what a school should deliver, it was never going to please every student and every set of parents. I feel it has been through it's 'teething period' and it is delivering a good education to my children. The IB Programme has been showing better and better results year on year and they seem very committed to this trend continuing. As regards 'compounds' - I presume you mean housing developments :-). Villa developments close by would be Silicon Oasis (look at Cedre Villas) , The Villa, Falcon City, Al Barari and Arabian Ranches or Victory Heights also not a long commute. Mirdif in the other direction also not far and has more standalone villas. goodytwoshoes - would be interested to know - how heavily is technology integrated into your daughter's daily learning? is she still taking notes in a notebook? writing things out? is homework done on paper or online? do you know anything regarding the older kids in this matter? maybe i'm old school, but i've noticed much to my dismay that kids here are doing all/most of their work on laptops and tablets. while this is okay for some, it's not something i'd prefer, or at least i'd like as little of it as possible, and more emphasis on pen and paper. maybe i'm crazy? beeniedubai - I don't think it's integrated a lot in her daily learning. She still takes notes in a notebook, she still writes most of her homework exercises. Some are done online on programs like myimaths but mostly she writes. Unless it's a technology related subject such as ICT of course. She doesn't bring a laptop or tablet to school. Some things, like projects, she will write or draw, or sometimes, as a personal preference, prepare on Powerpoint. She has a revision folder that she's using at the moment and it's all hand taken notes. Not sure about the older kids, am sure it's throughout the school though. Hope this helps. very helpful indeed - thank you for responding with your feedback. we're considering schools for the little one (primary school) but most schools are way too focused on electronics and electronic learning over "traditional" learning, and i'm simply not comfortable with that, nor do i believe it's beneficial (outside of an ICT course or as an additional learning resource at home). i appreciate you getting back to me!
Latest post on 29 April 2016 - 10:11
N2016 You are welcome. It's a very difficult decision to make from afar! But having all your children in one school is a big advantage - and yours are luckily the right age group! I also have children in the Junior school and would recommend the school as a whole without hesitation. You will also possibly find some negative stuff being said about the school (and some seem pretty fired up about it!) - all I guess before our time here - and with a school of this size, that grew quickly, and in this region with a range of expectations of what a school should deliver, it was never going to please every student and every set of parents. I feel it has been through it's 'teething period' and it is delivering a good education to my children. The IB Programme has been showing better and better results year on year and they seem very committed to this trend continuing. As regards 'compounds' - I presume you mean housing developments :-). Villa developments close by would be Silicon Oasis (look at Cedre Villas) , The Villa, Falcon City, Al Barari and Arabian Ranches or Victory Heights also not a long commute. Mirdif in the other direction also not far and has more standalone villas. goodytwoshoes - would be interested to know - how heavily is technology integrated into your daughter's daily learning? is she still taking notes in a notebook? writing things out? is homework done on paper or online? do you know anything regarding the older kids in this matter? maybe i'm old school, but i've noticed much to my dismay that kids here are doing all/most of their work on laptops and tablets. while this is okay for some, it's not something i'd prefer, or at least i'd like as little of it as possible, and more emphasis on pen and paper. maybe i'm crazy? beeniedubai - I don't think it's integrated a lot in her daily learning. She still takes notes in a notebook, she still writes most of her homework exercises. Some are done online on programs like myimaths but mostly she writes. Unless it's a technology related subject such as ICT of course. She doesn't bring a laptop or tablet to school. Some things, like projects, she will write or draw, or sometimes, as a personal preference, prepare on Powerpoint. She has a revision folder that she's using at the moment and it's all hand taken notes. Not sure about the older kids, am sure it's throughout the school though. Hope this helps.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 12:39
we pulled our daughter out of senior school. we felt the school was too big and had associated issues. ultimately its all about the very teachers your child ends up with and we were perhaps not so lucky. very happy with junior school though...
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 12:30
N2016 You are welcome. It's a very difficult decision to make from afar! But having all your children in one school is a big advantage - and yours are luckily the right age group! I also have children in the Junior school and would recommend the school as a whole without hesitation. You will also possibly find some negative stuff being said about the school (and some seem pretty fired up about it!) - all I guess before our time here - and with a school of this size, that grew quickly, and in this region with a range of expectations of what a school should deliver, it was never going to please every student and every set of parents. I feel it has been through it's 'teething period' and it is delivering a good education to my children. The IB Programme has been showing better and better results year on year and they seem very committed to this trend continuing. As regards 'compounds' - I presume you mean housing developments :-). Villa developments close by would be Silicon Oasis (look at Cedre Villas) , The Villa, Falcon City, Al Barari and Arabian Ranches or Victory Heights also not a long commute. Mirdif in the other direction also not far and has more standalone villas. goodytwoshoes - would be interested to know - how heavily is technology integrated into your daughter's daily learning? is she still taking notes in a notebook? writing things out? is homework done on paper or online? do you know anything regarding the older kids in this matter? maybe i'm old school, but i've noticed much to my dismay that kids here are doing all/most of their work on laptops and tablets. while this is okay for some, it's not something i'd prefer, or at least i'd like as little of it as possible, and more emphasis on pen and paper. maybe i'm crazy?
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 22:21
N2016 You are welcome. It's a very difficult decision to make from afar! But having all your children in one school is a big advantage - and yours are luckily the right age group! I also have children in the Junior school and would recommend the school as a whole without hesitation. You will also possibly find some negative stuff being said about the school (and some seem pretty fired up about it!) - all I guess before our time here - and with a school of this size, that grew quickly, and in this region with a range of expectations of what a school should deliver, it was never going to please every student and every set of parents. I feel it has been through it's 'teething period' and it is delivering a good education to my children. The IB Programme has been showing better and better results year on year and they seem very committed to this trend continuing. As regards 'compounds' - I presume you mean housing developments :-). Villa developments close by would be Silicon Oasis (look at Cedre Villas) , The Villa, Falcon City, Al Barari and Arabian Ranches or Victory Heights also not a long commute. Mirdif in the other direction also not far and has more standalone villas.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 19:25
I have a daughter in Repton Secondary School. She started in Year 7 last year and is settled and happy there. As parents, we have had no negative issues at all with the school, she is thriving academically and has great supportive teachers who seem to really take an interest and know her. Sport is competitive. One negative, I would say that the after school activity programme could be more varied and include sport for the children who have an interest, but might not necessarily make the squads! If you have any questions you would like to ask, I would be happy to answer. What Year Group are you looking at? Thank you goodytwoshoes, so good to get feedback from a parent who has a student at the school! My children will be entering yr7, yr9 and yr12. So far I have been pleased with what I have read about the school, but it has all been from their website and other sites like schoolscompared.com etc so I wanted another perspective as we won't be able to visit the school before arrival. Do you know what compounds there are around the school?
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 10:42
I have a daughter in Repton Secondary School. She started in Year 7 last year and is settled and happy there. As parents, we have had no negative issues at all with the school, she is thriving academically and has great supportive teachers who seem to really take an interest and know her. Sport is competitive. One negative, I would say that the after school activity programme could be more varied and include sport for the children who have an interest, but might not necessarily make the squads! If you have any questions you would like to ask, I would be happy to answer. What Year Group are you looking at?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY