Can I take fruit with me to UK? | ExpatWoman.com

Can I take fruit with me to UK?

Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 11:31

Hello!

Leaving for UK soon and my mum is desperate for me to bring her back 8 - 10 pomegranates.

Anyone know if there are any restrictions on taking fruit back to UK? They'd be in my suitcase in the hold, of course. Not in my hand luggage.

Thank you!

Latest post on 30 April 2016 - 18:33
Your mum is correct, the Pomegranate here taste a lot better and juicier. I once had an Indian colleague bringing Alphonso Mangoes from India, best one ever....
Latest post on 30 April 2016 - 16:24
Sorry, I should have mentioned that yes, I know you can buy them in the UK, but as with a lot of things, my Mum is CONVINCED that everything from Dubai is of better quality, so she wanted me to bring her some back. To be honest, I'd have to agree. The light pink, verging on white, pomegranate kernels you see in some UK purchased pomegranates, pales in comparison to the the ever consistent dark ruby red of the Dubai ones!
Latest post on 29 April 2016 - 14:20
I buy the seeded pomegranates regularly in the UK, mainly from Waitrose or Sainsbury's I once tried the Tesco ready seeded ones and did not find them as good, although I think the problem was freshness rather than quality, in my experience in general I find all fruit in the UK better quality, price and freshness than in Dubai and a much wider variety and more ready availability of product choice. I always felt guilty paying the exorbitant prices they charge in Dubai for a punnet of blackberries and they are not even the same as the blackberries we have at home, and the regional choices of English strawberries in the UK is amazing. I would not bother bringing pomegranates over to the UK personally, but if its the Indian pomegranates she prefers she could look in Waitrose as most of theirs are sourced from India.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 17:45
Tesco pomegranate seeds are 80g for £1 and Geant are 125g for about £2.20. Tesco whole pomegranates (from Ireland) are £1 each but I bet they're not as nice as the ones from here !! None of the UK fruit is as nice as what we get here, in my opinion... Geant whole ones are just over £3 each.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 15:59
All supermarkets have them. Most even do tubs of pomegranate seeds to save effort of removing skin. Even the markets usually have them. You can buy them online and have them delivered.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 12:14
If there is a weight limit of 2kg per person for fruit and veg then 8-10 may exceed this as I think they weigh around 400-500g each. Why doesn't she just buy them in the UK? - they have been available there for over 50 years I imagine they would be cheaper in the UK too http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=253554982
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 12:09
If there is a weight limit of 2kg per person for fruit and veg then 8-10 may exceed this as I think they weigh around 400-500g each. Why doesn't she just buy them in the UK? - they have been available there for over 50 years
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 11:51
You can buy them in the UK.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 11:38
Seems to be ok as per this website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-food-plant-and-animal-product-imports. Below is the extract of the section that is relevant, you just have to limit it to under 2kgs. Summary of restrictions From EU countries: You can bring any fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or other animal products (eg fish, eggs and honey) into the UK if you’re travelling from a country within the EU. From non-EU countries the following items are banned: all meat and meat products all milk and dairy products potatoes From non-EU countries the following items are restricted: fruit and vegetables - no more than 2kg total weight combined per person travelling bivalves (live), egg products, eggs and honey fish, bivalves (dead) and fish/fishery products - no more than 20kg total weight (fish must be gutted if fresh, or processed, ie cooked, cured, dried or smoked) 2kg total weight combined per person - certain fruits and vegetables The rules apply to any products carried in your personal luggage or sent by post (including those ordered online) and even if they’re for yourself, bought in a shop (including at an airport), home-grown/made or vacuum packed.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY