Looking to buy a Puppy and Vet recommendation | ExpatWoman.com

Looking to buy a Puppy and Vet recommendation

Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 13:11

Hello,

We are looking to get a puppy either Labrador or Golden retriever or similar dog. Any idea where I can find breeders in Dubai? Also any recommendations gor a very good vet please? :)

Latest post on 30 April 2016 - 16:09
There's only a couple of shelters. All the other rescue groups have their dogs in foster homes and hold regular adoption days. If you go back to my previous post in this thread, I list lots of them and you can find their facebook pages.
Latest post on 30 April 2016 - 15:19
Thank you for all the inputs; You are all correct I should adopt a puppy... In UK I know proper breeders as I had dogs all my life but here I dont kniw anddo not want to helpthis unfair trade. I am going to Sharjah dog shelter next week ; triedto reach K9 but no luck... If you know of any other rescue centre inside Dubai please let me know as well.
Latest post on 30 April 2016 - 14:14
My friend bought a supposedly 'pure bred lab' as a pup in Dubai, all the paperwork appeared 'genuine' however as the puppy grew it became event that this poor wee animal was not what it seemed , the vet diagnosed a genetic disorder affecting his liver.........they paid massive amounts in Vets fees, took him home to the UK for more diagnostic tests.......he was frequently anaemic, needing blood transfusions , a special diet .....he was very very sickly ! He died tragically aged 5 far far too young....lt gradually came too light that the breeder had obtained him from Eastern Europe where many many dogs are inbred .....all the paperwork was faked ......To see my friends sorrow at seeing their beloved pet suffer was truly tragic...... Please please please visit a shelter........I know a little fur ball of a pup is delightful....however disreputable people use this as bait .......when we lived in Qatar we rescued a mum and her 4 gorgeous little pups ( who looked very much like lab X ) they turned out to be beautiful, even tempered , smart and great fun companions.....they are all to this day doing well !!!!!!
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 15:39
Hi, I have two 'pure breed' rescue dogs originally bought in pet shops and dumped. They had their original 'pedigree' certificates and passports from the pet shop. One has it's actual birth date pencilled in on the inside front cover...transported 7 weeks earlier than permitted by the actual birth date recorded inside. They were both a year old when I got them, and by five years old one was completely blind and had to have his eye removed, the other has arthritis, suffers from fits, and will never resolve his behavioural issues. I can't tell you how much these dogs cost in vets bills, and how much you have to factor in to your life to accommodate them as issues surface...and how upsetting it is to see their issues surface and make difficult decisions as they age. Give a rescue dog a home...don't support the trade!
Latest post on 28 April 2016 - 14:53
please adopt. please please please please. there are so many dumped and abandoned dogs here, especially because their expat families leave them behind when they move back/away. it is so heartbreaking.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 16:40
Please don't buy a puppy. There simply are no ethical breeders here and they pretty much all come from puppy mills in Eastern Europe - which is a vile and cruel trade - many with fudged paperwork, not vaccinated properly and sick. You could spend thousands on a dog, then end up paying thousands more in vet bills. Interestingly there seems to have been a spate of abandoned Labs at the moment - my friend just adopted one, who's owner couldn't be bothered with it anymore. Sadly, unless people have experience with this breed, many forget that they are actually working dogs and can be highly strung, needing lots of exercise and stimulation. Take a look at the rescue groups on facebook. Animal Action UAE, SNIFFm Dubai Senior Dogs Projects, Sharjah Cats and Dogs Shelter, Dubai Animal Welfare Society, Posh Paws. Please consider a mixed breed dog, there are so many poor pups in desperate need of a loving home and they really do make the best pets - I have two and their breed is AWESOME!
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 14:50
There are a couple of places here but be warned, some come from puppy farms in Eastern Europe and paperwork can be dated incorrectly or even counterfeit. Some of the puppies have been there for a while and have had no early social interaction. I know it's nice to have a puppy and of course the Labrador has an excellent reputation with children, however I urge you just to try places like K9. We were lucky enough to get a Labrador from K9, an older fat girl in need of a diet who turned out to be the best dog we could ever have hoped for. Not all the dogs are on their website either and sometimes their photo doesn't do them justice - pop along and I promise you'll find your new best friend.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 14:05
For a vet, highly (highly) recommend Vienna Vet on Al Thanya on Umm Suqeim. I encourage you to at least visit K9 Friends (or one of the other rescues) before buying a dog - can almost guarantee you will get a much healthier pup from them than any breeder in the area.
Latest post on 27 April 2016 - 13:20
would you be open to adopting or re-homing a pup? plenty of them available at the following organisations: - K9 - SNIFF most of the ones up for adoption are mixed breeds but if you are keen on those specific breeds u might be able to find one that 'majorly' a particular breed... keep in mind that the mixed breed dogs are more resilient than the pure breds and less prone to genetic issues that come with a particular strain/breed.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY