Australia or New Zealand | ExpatWoman.com

Australia or New Zealand

Latest post on 28 May 2016 - 09:12
My husband has lived in both countries and he preferred Australia, as New Zealand felt quite small and very far away from anything, also very expensive to travel from there.
Latest post on 28 May 2016 - 05:13
The entry level requirement might be similar for australia and new Zealand but the cost of visa is nowhere near each other. Australian permanent visa is much more expensive than the same for new zealand. Then there is also the issue of salaries being low and less availability of jobs if you are in a specialized field in new zealand. Current auckland housing rental is indeed comparable to sydney which is quite expensive. It all depends on why you want to make the move. Our friends moved to new zealand and are not impressed
Latest post on 28 May 2016 - 00:19
I would suggest you visit first. Both countries are different.
Latest post on 11 May 2016 - 09:39
Thank you Daza and littlepenguin for your replies. Daza, we have not visited either of the two. When it comes to Australia most likely we may look at Melbourne or Perth to live. With regards to the entry requirement, Australia and NZ both have almost similar requirements. We have studied it and have concluded that I will be the primary applicant. That being said, we have no clue about NZ as we do not have any contacts there unlike Australia. Hence we are contemplating. littlepenguin; my thoughts exactly when you mentioned the employment opportunities. But my husband is more inclined towards NZ. I guess it will just take some more convincing :thinking: Thank you both for your valuable inputs.. More homework to be done now.. ;)
Latest post on 11 May 2016 - 00:38
I love New Zealand but was staggered last year (we were looking at options for a move as my husband is in aviation) when I was looking at salaries - there is a huge difference between what I earn in Australia and what I would be earning in NZ. The difference is massive; even for administrative work in the university sector we're talking differences in the region of $20000 per year (the AUD and NZD are pretty much on par at the moment). This would be fine if the cost of living in NZ was also significantly cheaper, but groceries and fuel are certainly no different. Housing in Auckland is now approaching Sydney-crazy levels, too. Add to that the lack of compulsory employer-paid superannuation (9% mandatory in Aus, used to be none in NZ but maybe 4% now). The population of NZ is also much smaller, and so for me the employment opportunities (I work in the public health sector) would have been very limited. There would have been a lot of positives as well: I love the climate and the outdoors, the public health care is of high quality, if were somewhere like Christchurch or wellington I wouldn't be commuting 2 hrs/day etc. Ultimately it wasn't worth it financially for us (my husband would have been taking a pay cut to fly the same aeroplane) but it would have been a good life style decision. Maybe when we retire.... ?
Latest post on 10 May 2016 - 16:49
Have you visited either country castle? In general, there is a high standard of living in both. The cost of living in Sydney is very high and I know a number of people on good incomes who have left due to the cost of housing. Auckland is also expensive compared to salaries. Do you have any particular cities or areas you are leaning towards in either country? Australia is huge so it would be especially relevant there which area you are looking at. Have you looked closely at the entry requirements for both? I don't know about now but I do know Australia was pretty tough to get in to a few years back. I think both countries are fantastic and have a lot to offer so it really depends on what you are looking for. Whilst they are neighbours and have a lot in common they have a very different feel.
Latest post on 10 May 2016 - 15:53
Thank you AdventurerB for your response. Yes me and my husband will be working. My major experience has been in to the insurance industry. My husband is working in the airline industry (ground operations). In fact we even heard the the airline industry of NZ is strong and were more inclined towards that. What about the standard of living in both places?
Latest post on 10 May 2016 - 12:18
Hello Ladies, My husband and me are planning to move out of Dubai. However, we are unable to decide between Australia or New Zealand. I know I should be asking this question in another forum but I have not seen any response for it when someone had asked earlier. If someone can help us out here in terms of the job market, salaries, schooling, cost of living etc. it would be of great help. Looking forward to your responses ladies :) Have a lovely day;)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY