Private maternity care...can anyone help? | ExpatWoman.com

Private maternity care...can anyone help?

Latest post on 12 May 2016 - 16:40

Hi Everyone...I just discovered that I'm pregnant. Eek....

I've done a fair bit of research about what happens here in Qatar, but what I can't seem to get a good idea of is cost. I understand that I can access care at Hamad with my medical card, but that my husband can't be with me during delivery.

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of private maternity care and delivery? Also, any recommendations as to where to go would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated x

Latest post on 28 May 2016 - 13:46
Hi Nelly2478! Congrats!! How are you going with getting the info you're after? I arrived 8 weeks ago and just found out I'm in the same boat too!? Lots to think about. Have you heard of Doha Mums Group. They look like a wonderful resource and am planning to go along to a group event next week. We are in looking into public v's private and are getting lots of pros and cons for both but unsure still of costs too. Will Hopefully know more in the next few days?.
Latest post on 22 May 2016 - 16:36
Hi Nelly2478 Congrats The pricing varies depending on where you get your care and where you deliver. I would suggest trying to join 'Positive Birth Group Doha' on facebook as this question has been answered many times on there. There are also lots of recommendations as to the best doctors etc. To give you some info. If you give birth at Hamad I believe it is QAR 100 per night as it is in the Cuban and Al Wakra. My experience is the Cuban but it is part of the government hospitals. From memory you pay 50 for your first appointment and 40 for each one after that. Scans are an extra cost (I think 50 or 100) as are any medications but they are a lot cheaper than what you would pay at a pharmacy. You will not be able to have your husband at the delivery if you are at Hamad however he will be able to be present at the Cuban, not sure about Al Wakra. If you have a c-section he will not be able to be with you anywhere in Doha including private hospitals. The two most popular private hospitals are Al Ahli and Doha Clinic. From what I understand Al Ahli is anywhere between QAR 15,000 and 29,000 depending on the birth (complications, c-section etc) and I think Doha Clinic is cheaper. Hopefully someone can give you more info. There may be pricing on their websites.