Living cost in Abu Dhabi | ExpatWoman.com

Living cost in Abu Dhabi

Latest post on 16 May 2016 - 22:38

Hi ladies

I need some advice. I received an offer (teaching) in Abu Dhabi for 13 000 UAE
(also included: free accommodation and medical).

The info: We are a family of three. (Baby boy, one year old). My husband agreed to be a stay at home dad for two years, which will also provide him with the opportunity to complete his degree via long distance learning.

My question: Will 13 000 Durham suffice to cover our living expenses and save a few bucks. I found the following info online, could you please assist with the accuracy or perhaps provide a better estimate?

Utilities (gas, electricity, water) 3000 (dirham)
Groceries 3000 (dirham)
Leased family car 1800(dirham)
Uncapped internet 1000
Fuel for the month (basic day to day) 1000 dirham
Spending 2000

Total amounts to 12 000, thus 1000 for saving.

Did I miss anything? Part of the perks: When my little one reaches school age, he gets tuition for free.

Thus: Will this be enough to keep u going, while hubby completes his degree? Any moms doing the same or shed some light on the actual living cost and not some internet estimation?

Looking forward to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Latest post on 20 May 2016 - 15:25
I'm with Buddha. 13,000 a month isn't a bad salary. I think it's the standard for most new ADEC teachers. It equates to about £29,000 a year which is much more than new teachers (and even teachers who have been in the job a while) get in the UK and they have to pay tax. I'm not sure where you're from (though I'm guessing from your use of 'bucks' that you're from North America/Australia/NZ), but I think you'd be better off here than if you were in the same position in the UK. There are drawbacks but living here is certainly an experience. Even if you only come for a year or two, what have you got to lose?
Latest post on 19 May 2016 - 22:57
Hi all, Thanks for all the input. Food for thought, for sure. :) We are used to an "economy" lifestyle...therefore not too worried about living and spending "smart". Will do some more research before making the big move. Thanks again, ladies.
Latest post on 19 May 2016 - 19:54
Last comment i would NOT agree with. Yes, you won't really save BUT you will manage if careful and if it lets your husband finish his studies with a view to later having two incomes then I don't see it as a problem. Will be a great experience, go in with an open mind as you seem to be. I lived three years in Dubai with around same income for daily living..we had a ball...kids learned loads including how to be more open minded and tolerant. Yes, they did get frustrated at how many of their friends had loads more money but we still had a good time. PS salary isn't as bad as a poster suggests. For a teaching job with not many years experience it is around average. The more years experience you have in teaching out here the bigger your salary.
Latest post on 19 May 2016 - 19:52
Last comment i would NOT agree with. Yes, you won't really save BUT you will manage if careful and if it lets your husband finish his studies with a view to later having two incomes then I don't see it as a problem. Will be a great experience, go in with an open mind as you seem to be. I lived three years in Dubai with around same income for daily living..we had a ball...kids learned loads including how to be more open minded and tolerant. Yes, they did get frustrated at how many of their friends had loads more money but we still had a good time.
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 09:21
Hi ladies Thanks for all your help :) I failed to say: Housing will be paid in full, however, I can't choose where we'll stay...hope it's nice area. They also include 20 000 dirham to furnish the apartment...hope it will be enough. We have a little bit of cash in hand - so got that covered. I thought hubby could be my driver and drop me off at school...but I'll look into lift clubs/second car (thanks!) The company also provide annual flights home for the family. Thank so much for the info on the entertainer package - will def look into that. If we can pull this off...hubby can complete his degree and we can save a few bucks. So, I'm trying to make this work. :) Again, thank you.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 14:13
If you are in an apartment then utilities ie DEWA will prob be less than 1k a month. It is the extras that add up...nappies, formulae milk, clothes ( unless you wait and shop in uk every year) If you plan to return home every summer you may need to factor in hire car costs and accommodation costs. You can eat out very cheaply if you are careful where you eat, avoid buying drinks apart from water and use the entertainer App. ( don't think I have ever eaten in a place where. I can't use the entertainer). On the other hand, you will prob find colleagues going for brunches at AED400 or 500 a head some weekends. At end of contract you will also get an end of contact bonus which I guess is kind of in lieu of pension. Most medical insurances don't cover dental treatment etc so all things to factor in. Uncapped internet shouldn't be as much as 1k but mobile phones are expensive to run compared to uk and for some reason I use way more data every month in UAE than I do in uk altohugh I use my phone in the same manner. If you take the car to work every day then that will leave your husband stuck at home with the baby...taxis are cheap but car seats etc for kids are an issue. You may unless you can get a lift or taxi to work find you need two cars. A basic car from companies like dollar used to be 1601 a month but are now around 1800 ( speeding tickets need to be avoided as can be costly). Bear in mind this a very basic model ..I drove one for three years but found it way more stressful than driving a bigger family saloon which would be around 2600 a month. I found I got "bullied" even more in the cheaper, basic model and had to drive even more defensively as limited acceleration. Indoor play areas can be costly so u need to think about what you will do with your child in the very hot weather. There are things available but you need to research and look for things. It is def do-able but you will find yourself living a different style of life from a lot of others that you will meet. Set up costs can be a slight issue..even converting to a UAE driving licence is costly. Alcohol licence is AED200 each. Just ensure you have a bit of cash for emergencies and as someone said you need to think about furnishing your apartment..will school give an allowance or pay to ship items over.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 13:55
Oh and I should add that I do know an American family who are in the same situation as you, so it can be done! In fact the woman is expecting baby number two and is working right up until her due date!!!
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 13:51
Hi Sussa, I think you could scrape by on 13,000 with your husband at home, it all depends on the sort of lifestyle that you want when you get here. Eating out, even having a coffee, is more expensive than in a lot of other places, fuel on the other hand is a heck of a lot cheaper... The thing is, that whatever you choose to do in your free time here costs money - there aren't that many 'free' activities especially in the hot summer months and 2000 dirhams for 'spending' won't go that far IMO. Clothes, books and toys are quite a lot more expensive here than in Europe/North America especially if you go to 'western' stores. One thing I would suggest is purchasing 'the entertainer' book/app when you get here; it has lots of buy one get one free offers for things like main meals in restaurants/desert safaris/the waterpark. Internet/TV/Landline come as a package. Have a look at the Etisalat website for more info. Don't forget that you'll need a mobile phone (unless one is provided by your employer). For mobiles, Du is a bit cheaper than Etisalat and you get the added bonus of 2 for 1 cinema tickets on a Tuesday. Does the school provide accommodation close to the site or can you choose where you live? If you can choose it might be good for your husband to be somewhere where there are good facilities/organised activities for babies/toddlers close by. Perhaps somewhere with a pool/playground/cafe/play room so that there are plenty of things to keep him and the little one entertained while you are at work, without the need for driving to a park (in cooler weather) or soft play centre (when it's hot). Are you going to have one car or two? How will your husband get around when you're at work? I don't have a car and rely on friends and taxis and it's not easy. Public transport... Well for me that's not an option with a small child... Too much hanging around in the sun... Have you thought about visits home (I.e., back to your country of origin) ? Will work pay for you to go home each year? Your utilities will depend a lot on the accommodation you choose but I don't think that they'll be more than your estimate. Just remember you have to pay for air-con too and some places have separate tariffs for hot and cold water. Most accommodation here is not furnished so you'll need to think about whether you're going to ship stuff -and whether work will pay- or whether you're going to buy new/second hand when you get here - thankfully there is an IKEA as well as lots of other lovely furniture shops. 3000 is probably the right amount for groceries. We're a family of 3 and that's about what we spend. You just have to be s bit savvy when it comes to shopping. Buying in bulk can save you a lot of money here. I hope that some other people will be able to help you out with this...I probably could spend less than I do. ? Good luck with making your decision!
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 09:24
Unless we missed it, you did not indicate housing. A simple 1 BR will take you back another AED 5, 416 per month