Where to stay in New York | ExpatWoman.com

Where to stay in New York

Latest post on 21 May 2016 - 08:38

I'll be travelling to NYC for a week in October and am trying to decide on a hotel somewhere between Central Park and Times Square. I've been googling, looking on TripAdvisor for reviews, checked booking.com and expedia and it seems to become more difficult to decide the langer I search.
Any suggesties from you ladies? Not neccesarilly looking for the big chains, but I'm expecting clean rooms and a certain degree of luxury. Willing to pay max 500 $ /night.

Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 08:48
Depends on what you want to do in NY. Central Park is definitely amazing in October and my favorite part of the city. It is a singular experience. Hence, getting a hotel near there would be a good idea. The ones near the park are the Mandarin Oriental, the Pierre, Essex House to name a few. All expensive - however, look between 57th to 52nd. from Madison to 8th Avenue for other hotels. If you want something cheaper and still near the park and in a great neighborhood (Upper West Side), look at the Lucerne around 79th and Amsterdam. A couple of blocks west of the Park and near the Museum of Natural History. DO NOT stay anywhere near Times Square 42nd street - 10 blocks up or down of it. No New Yorker goes there and it is not New York in any form at all. If you want something funky and hip - then stay in the Meatpacking district like the Standard Hotel. Easy walk to the West Village and Highline. Hope that helps. ValGal.
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 11:09
You may check Courtyard by Marriott Herald Square that is on 35th St, next to Macy's or Langham Palace that is right on 5th Ave between 37th & 36th. Both are good hotels, close to Times Square but bit far from Central Park.
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 23:10
Homewood suites was very Nice and walking distance to Times Square. I thought it was somewhere on 37th and 7 street. Have fun!
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 19:52
Hi I am just back from staying at the CItizenM in Times Square. It's a boutique hotel and I I must say it was fantastic if you want something a bit quirky
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 10:53
We stayed at The Casablanca hotel, small place literally just off Times Square. It's small but perfectly formed! The staff are amazing and really friendly. Heartily recommend it!
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 06:37
Highly recommend any of the Hilton Garden Inn Midtown locations. I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Midtown East and really liked it - and good value too.
Latest post on 22 May 2016 - 18:58
Hilton in Manhattan has a great location! Smack in the middle between times square and the park and one street away from the fashionable Fifth Avenue. If you want something more economic then Holiday Inn also has a great location and their rooms are large. Even more affordable is booking something via www.airbnb.com
Latest post on 22 May 2016 - 14:48
Thank you ladies. The Ludlow looks amazing, but is too far from where I need to be. I'd seen the Sanctuary and might give it a try. I was just put of by some of these Tripadvisor reviews. If anyone else has a suggestion, or knows of a hidden gem, please let me know.
Latest post on 21 May 2016 - 15:28
When in NY, I try to stay at The Ludlow, which is a boutique hotel on the Lower East Side. I know this isn't the area you are looking at but the hotel is worth a look. There are 'factory-style casement windows in every room, repurposed wood beams', and it's in a very hip neighbourhood (so it books quickly), The rates are within the upper range of your budget. I usually reserve a Loft King room, which has wonderful cornered windows. If available, the Skybox Loft room is amazing - 180 degree views of Manhattan!! I usually contact the hotel directly to ask about availability, and have received special rates. [url=http://ludlowhotel.com'>link[/url'> Wishing you a fab trip! I'm very envious . . . :) Ps. I'm not affiliated with the hotel in any way; I travel a lot for my work, and love to feel pampered (who doesn't?).
Latest post on 21 May 2016 - 09:04
We've stayed twice at the Sanctuary hotel, quite close to Times sq but in a side street, so away from the tourist crowds. Small, boutique hotel, very modern. Rooms are quite small but newly furnished. Not a lot of storage space. Breakfast is plentiful and continenetal included with hot meals to order if you wish to pay a little more. A relaxing rooftop bar that gets busy with locals, although as guests you get priority. We would stay here again if visitng NY. It is on booking.com. HTH

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY