Age discrimination seeking for a job | ExpatWoman.com

Age discrimination seeking for a job

Latest post on 21 May 2016 - 21:48

I have been looking for a job for the past few months and have been experiencing discrimination due to my age.

I am 39 years old, single and from the UK. I have a law degree, a post graduate diploma in legal practice, 9 years of work experience in the UK, and 6 years of work experience in Dubai.

I have a lot of legal administration experience as I worked as a paralegal in the UK and I have 5 years of executive administration experience in Dubai.

The company I was with last year closed down after several years and the company I am with now is not doing very well so I have been told to look for another job.

I have two credit cards with two banks, each of which I owe over 50,000 AED. I was able to make the repayments before, however, last year I lost my job as my company closed down. I then joined another company but as my salary was lower I am not always able to make the minimum payments on my credit cards and as the company isn’t doing well I am being told to look for another job.

I am now constantly being chased by the banks as I cannot afford to make the payments, one bank in particular keeps calling me, threatening to blacklist me, cash the cheque for the full amount owed (which I signed as collateral when I took out the credit card) and once that bounces file a police case against me and have my passport taken by the police.

I am actively looking for a job every day, however, there seems to be discrimination due to my age. When I send out CV’s I do not include my date of birth. When I have been called for interviews employers seem very interested during the interview, however when they ask about my age they then lose interest and swiftly terminate the interview. One potential employer in particular showed me around their office and was very interested in having me work for their company, however, when age came up they were shocked that I was 39 and just kept saying, ‘well good for you’ and ended the interview.

Another interviewer showed the same interest, then once again when my age was mentioned in the interview the interview came to an end.

I don’t sleep very well as I am very stressed about making these repayments and wonder what the bank is going to do if I miss yet another payment. I really need a job now so that I can pay the banks their money. Has anyone else experienced discrimination due to their age? If anyone knows of any upcoming vacancies or can help me to find a job I’d really appreciate it.

Latest post on 15 October 2016 - 23:42
This seems to be the case in Europe too, not just here. It's getting really competitive. Also don't forget that recruiters are overwhelmed with CVs, it's essential to send something that stands out from the pack. They literally take seconds to make a decision whether to call someone in for an interview or not by the appearance of the CV. If anyone needs help in revamping their CV/Resume, I have been creating and redesigning CVs for a very long time. I am doing it for free for the next month so if anyone is interested let me know.
Latest post on 15 October 2016 - 14:14
Hi Christy, I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this, but out of experience I can tell that it can take a very long time to find work, and at the same time you can get something in a few days time, if you know the right person. I have in the last years had interviews where I have been discriminated a lot, from "You are pretty to be hired" to the fact that I am covering as a woman, I have literally heard it all. It took my husband two years to find an appropriate position and we have spent countless hours on sending out applications, networking with people etc. My advise if to keep going, and don't give up. You sound very capable. I have myself worked in a Senior position in a financial management company and I know they are always looking for people in legal. Is there any way you could send me your CV, so I can forward it to the CEO. Kindly send it to:
Latest post on 14 October 2016 - 14:13
Hi Christy7, How are you? I hope things are getting better? Stay strong
Latest post on 28 May 2016 - 16:36
This is not the place to be a single woman in debt being chased to the edge of a precipice. If you have ever done anyone a favour now is the time to call it in. If you have family that can afford to make at least a part payment that will keep the hounds at bay gratefully accept their help and be in debt to them instead with every intention of paying it off. I know this may not be the suitable answer or one that seems cowardly but this isn't the time for bluster. If you have decided to move on once your debt is paid off and the only reason you are here now struggling to make ends meet is to settle that loan - then just take the shortcut and start again from square one - albeit wiser. Everyone deserves a break and a second chance. You sound desperately alone and down with everything thats going on. Please reach out to your loved ones and ask for some assistance - If I were your family I would be mad you got yourself in so deep into debt but wouldn't want you to go to jail if I had some means to help out. I hope you find a way out of what must seem like a slow moving nightmare. Good luck. Actually, it's very scary to be here and be in debt. I can't go to my family for help, they are not exactly in a position to offer any help either, plus they would be very shocked that I've got myself into this. I think I know what you mean by starting from square one but I'm not the kind of person who can start from square one again, that's why I'm looking for a job to pay off my debts before I leave. I never had a credit card at home, but you know because of my rent etc.I found myself in the situation where using a credit card was necessary, but once I'm out of this I will never put myself in this kind of situation again. It's not fun not being able to sleep at night and constantly worrying about what will happen, this is like a living nightmare. I don't want to be in a situation where like you said I end up in jail, so this is why I am desperately trying to get a job where I can make my minimum payments, I've sold everything I have already and just kept the basics. Thanks very much for your reply, your words brought some comfort.
Latest post on 28 May 2016 - 16:26
Christy7, just hang in there! Don't give up, you'll never know what will happen tomorrow, chin up and keep fighting for yourself. It's always hard the last kilometres in marathon, when you see photos of people who just climbed high up and pinned down their mark; you'll see them happy, tired but happy, but they never ever take photos of themselves while climbing up, not being able to breath, facing starvation and sleep deprived, and in every step they risk slipping and die, you'll never see them breaking down in tears and just want to give up, you'll never see this, because this is the price you pay for greatness. Hang on there, as I said you'll endour it and you'll prevail, you'll do it and find your place under the sun, you may loos a battle but you will win the war.... Hang on there, and you'll make it. Take care, please. G Thanks very much Gorobattie for your encouraging words. I am still looking, people have been telling me that now Ramadan is coming up that there will be more vacancies coming up so I am keeping positive and like you said keeping my "chin up". I will let you know how it goes, thanks once again for your kind words.
Latest post on 28 May 2016 - 16:03
Age can be an issue here in regards to some roles as I have found out to my cost. On a couple of occasions I was offered positions, but once the actual person I would have been working for saw my CV and my age, they stated that they wanted someone younger, even though HR told me that the younger person, did not have the required qualifications. I think a lot can come down to what certain people expect to see when they hear you're over 50. I am now fully employed at 57 in a role which is more like the roles I carried out over 20 years ago and not what I trained for, but hey, it's a job and the pay's ok. Dear Geordie expat, Yes, you're right, sadly age does play a determining factor, however, even simple administration roles require younger people so that employers can pay them an even cheaper salary. At your age I would be concerned if I thought it was a discriminating factor. At mine I can understand it. Apparently anyone approaching 40 is also considered just as "past" it as someone who is also your age. Someone replied to my post somewhere else and said that the brain slows down at 40 and jobs should be given to younger people instead, so maybe I should just crawl into a hole and disappear! Or see it for what it is, the companies think you are too expensive to work for them, Western educated woman approaching 40, will expect a higher salary, than a young Asian (that's the mindset for a lot of companies). I realized that so that's why I was asking for the minimum salary when they asked for my salary expectations so that I could make my minimum card payments and pay for the basic cost of living which was not a lot more than to quote what you said "a young Asian person".
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 21:08
This is not the place to be a single woman in debt being chased to the edge of a precipice. If you have ever done anyone a favour now is the time to call it in. If you have family that can afford to make at least a part payment that will keep the hounds at bay gratefully accept their help and be in debt to them instead with every intention of paying it off. I know this may not be the suitable answer or one that seems cowardly but this isn't the time for bluster. If you have decided to move on once your debt is paid off and the only reason you are here now struggling to make ends meet is to settle that loan - then just take the shortcut and start again from square one - albeit wiser. Everyone deserves a break and a second chance. You sound desperately alone and down with everything thats going on. Please reach out to your loved ones and ask for some assistance - If I were your family I would be mad you got yourself in so deep into debt but wouldn't want you to go to jail if I had some means to help out. I hope you find a way out of what must seem like a slow moving nightmare. Good luck.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 20:05
Christy7, just hang in there! Don't give up, you'll never know what will happen tomorrow, chin up and keep fighting for yourself. It's always hard the last kilometres in marathon, when you see photos of people who just climbed high up and pinned down their mark; you'll see them happy, tired but happy, but they never ever take photos of themselves while climbing up, not being able to breath, facing starvation and sleep deprived, and in every step they risk slipping and die, you'll never see them breaking down in tears and just want to give up, you'll never see this, because this is the price you pay for greatness. Hang on there, as I said you'll endour it and you'll prevail, you'll do it and find your place under the sun, you may loos a battle but you will win the war.... Hang on there, and you'll make it. Take care, please. G
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 17:47
Age can be an issue here in regards to some roles as I have found out to my cost. On a couple of occasions I was offered positions, but once the actual person I would have been working for saw my CV and my age, they stated that they wanted someone younger, even though HR told me that the younger person, did not have the required qualifications. I think a lot can come down to what certain people expect to see when they hear you're over 50. I am now fully employed at 57 in a role which is more like the roles I carried out over 20 years ago and not what I trained for, but hey, it's a job and the pay's ok. Dear Geordie expat, Yes, you're right, sadly age does play a determining factor, however, even simple administration roles require younger people so that employers can pay them an even cheaper salary. At your age I would be concerned if I thought it was a discriminating factor. At mine I can understand it. Apparently anyone approaching 40 is also considered just as "past" it as someone who is also your age. Someone replied to my post somewhere else and said that the brain slows down at 40 and jobs should be given to younger people instead, so maybe I should just crawl into a hole and disappear! Or see it for what it is, the companies think you are too expensive to work for them, Western educated woman approaching 40, will expect a higher salary, than a young Asian (that's the mindset for a lot of companies).
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 16:59
Age can be an issue here in regards to some roles as I have found out to my cost. On a couple of occasions I was offered positions, but once the actual person I would have been working for saw my CV and my age, they stated that they wanted someone younger, even though HR told me that the younger person, did not have the required qualifications. I think a lot can come down to what certain people expect to see when they hear you're over 50. I am now fully employed at 57 in a role which is more like the roles I carried out over 20 years ago and not what I trained for, but hey, it's a job and the pay's ok. Dear Geordie expat, Yes, you're right, sadly age does play a determining factor, however, even simple administration roles require younger people so that employers can pay them an even cheaper salary. At your age I would be concerned if I thought it was a discriminating factor. At mine I can understand it. Apparently anyone approaching 40 is also considered just as "past" it as someone who is also your age. Someone replied to my post somewhere else and said that the brain slows down at 40 and jobs should be given to younger people instead, so maybe I should just crawl into a hole and disappear!
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 14:21
Age can be an issue here in regards to some roles as I have found out to my cost. On a couple of occasions I was offered positions, but once the actual person I would have been working for saw my CV and my age, they stated that they wanted someone younger, even though HR told me that the younger person, did not have the required qualifications. I think a lot can come down to what certain people expect to see when they hear you're over 50. I am now fully employed at 57 in a role which is more like the roles I carried out over 20 years ago and not what I trained for, but hey, it's a job and the pay's ok. Dear Geordie expat, Yes, you're right, sadly age does play a determining factor, however, even simple administration roles require younger people so that employers can pay them an even cheaper salary. At your age I would be concerned if I thought it was a discriminating factor. At mine I can understand it.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 13:57
Christy, have you tried to personally go to the law firms and ask to talk to their head of HR? Be ready to wait, in case they are in meetings or such. Bring all your paperwork, talk about your experience and ask if they have any openings for paralegals/legal assistant, and to be kept on file in case anything comes up in future. Worth a try. Another thing is to find the heads of legal of various companies on LinkedIn, get in touch and ask if they have any openings. Now is a good time, as people wait for the children to finish the school year to leave in Summer, and there may be vacancies. Good luck. Dear Suzy, Thanks for your comment. I haven't tried doing that as I know it would be pointless, I will just be told to email my CV or leave a copy with the receptionist. I'll try what you said about contacting people on Linkedin, thanks. I also hope what you're saying does happen, that there will be vacancies once people leave in summer. Once again thanks for your advice.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 13:54
Age can be an issue here in regards to some roles as I have found out to my cost. On a couple of occasions I was offered positions, but once the actual person I would have been working for saw my CV and my age, they stated that they wanted someone younger, even though HR told me that the younger person, did not have the required qualifications. I think a lot can come down to what certain people expect to see when they hear you're over 50. I am now fully employed at 57 in a role which is more like the roles I carried out over 20 years ago and not what I trained for, but hey, it's a job and the pay's ok. Dear Geordie expat, Yes, you're right, sadly age does play a determining factor, however, even simple administration roles require younger people so that employers can pay them an even cheaper salary.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 12:17
roxan51 , I really have to ask why the surprise at a 51 year old, getting a job?!!! Dear Micdoc, I just read a comment from someone else who thinks anyone over 40 should just give up and not bother working as at this age as "you can't teach an old dog new tricks', so if 40 is old then 51 would be positively ancient to this person. It's this kind of negative mindset about mature people that leads to this kind of age discrimination.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 12:09
I believe you already sent this very same post to the 7 days tabloid.... That explains why you never respond back, and you are only an editor in 7 days or expat woman writing a letter just to spark comments.... How sad things isn't that much real! Dear Gorobattie, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and yes, you are correct, I did submit the same post to 7 days to make more people aware of what is going on in terms of what I feel is discrimination due to my age. My apologies for not replying any earlier as I have been busy going out looking for a job and the place where I have now moved to does not have internet access so when I want to use the internet I have to go to a friend's place to do so. This is the only reason why I have not replied any sooner. I am sorry if this upset you but I can assure you that I am not an editor looking to spark debate. I am simply someone who is in desperate need of a job and it worries me that as we are getting closer to Ramadan the job market will start to slow down. Once again I appreciate the time you took to reply to my post not only once but twice. Thank you. Dear Christy7, I believe that I just jumped to conclusions over this, my deep apology to you, I guess I just became a sceptic person after reading the 7days tabloid, again it's a tabloid and on so many occasions tabloids did report news from this forum as if they did the work themselves! And the letter section does have so many controversial letters that sparks comment and letters in response that even dedicated a section for responses. I got carried away with my assumption and please accept my apology, I wish you that manage to get yourself out of this viscous circle you are in. And remember: everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright, then it's not the end. Good luck G Dear Gorobattie, Thank you for the apology. I am glad you took the time to read my story and you felt passionate enough about it to make comments. This situation I'm in makes me want to give up any hope of getting out of this, but when I read encouraging comments like yours it makes me keep going. I really appreciate your kind words of support.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 12:01
Perhaps its not your age that is detouring them? Dear Brie03, I look younger than my age, both my written and spoken English are good, I keep myself in shape and they are keen up until the point when my age is mentioned. So, if it's not my age, then what do you suggest it is?
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 11:26
Age can be an issue here in regards to some roles as I have found out to my cost. On a couple of occasions I was offered positions, but once the actual person I would have been working for saw my CV and my age, they stated that they wanted someone younger, even though HR told me that the younger person, did not have the required qualifications. I think a lot can come down to what certain people expect to see when they hear you're over 50. I am now fully employed at 57 in a role which is more like the roles I carried out over 20 years ago and not what I trained for, but hey, it's a job and the pay's ok.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 10:09
Perhaps its not your age that is detouring them?
Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 09:03
Christy, have you tried to personally go to the law firms and ask to talk to their head of HR? Be ready to wait, in case they are in meetings or such. Bring all your paperwork, talk about your experience and ask if they have any openings for paralegals/legal assistant, and to be kept on file in case anything comes up in future. Worth a try. Another thing is to find the heads of legal of various companies on LinkedIn, get in touch and ask if they have any openings. Now is a good time, as people wait for the children to finish the school year to leave in Summer, and there may be vacancies. Good luck.
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 21:05
roxan51 , I really have to ask why the surprise at a 51 year old, getting a job?!!!
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 20:51
I believe you already sent this very same post to the 7 days tabloid.... That explains why you never respond back, and you are only an editor in 7 days or expat woman writing a letter just to spark comments.... How sad things isn't that much real! It's not us! We promise! :confused: And I owe you too an apology dear admin of expat woman. I believe that I let that tabloid letter section take the better of me and made me jump to conclusions! My bad! Please accept my apologies too.
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 20:44
I believe you already sent this very same post to the 7 days tabloid.... That explains why you never respond back, and you are only an editor in 7 days or expat woman writing a letter just to spark comments.... How sad things isn't that much real! Dear Gorobattie, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and yes, you are correct, I did submit the same post to 7 days to make more people aware of what is going on in terms of what I feel is discrimination due to my age. My apologies for not replying any earlier as I have been busy going out looking for a job and the place where I have now moved to does not have internet access so when I want to use the internet I have to go to a friend's place to do so. This is the only reason why I have not replied any sooner. I am sorry if this upset you but I can assure you that I am not an editor looking to spark debate. I am simply someone who is in desperate need of a job and it worries me that as we are getting closer to Ramadan the job market will start to slow down. Once again I appreciate the time you took to reply to my post not only once but twice. Thank you. Dear Christy7, I believe that I just jumped to conclusions over this, my deep apology to you, I guess I just became a sceptic person after reading the 7days tabloid, again it's a tabloid and on so many occasions tabloids did report news from this forum as if they did the work themselves! And the letter section does have so many controversial letters that sparks comment and letters in response that even dedicated a section for responses. I got carried away with my assumption and please accept my apology, I wish you that manage to get yourself out of this viscous circle you are in. And remember: everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright, then it's not the end. Good luck G
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 09:18
I believe you already sent this very same post to the 7 days tabloid.... That explains why you never respond back, and you are only an editor in 7 days or expat woman writing a letter just to spark comments.... How sad things isn't that much real! It's not us! We promise! :confused:
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 09:16
I do hope you resolve your situation A few years ago people used to just do a runner. I had personal experience of that when someone abandoned a Range Rover full of luggage in my paring space. I t was there for several months as the police did not want to take it away.
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 00:24
If you have a car - sell it and use the metro and/or bus - move to be near their stops if you can. Dear Bingo, I have tried selling my car back to the car dealership, however, I took out a set payment plan when I bought the car. I was not made aware that if I was to give the car back at an earlier date that I would have to pay the remainder of the interest charges. In this case I have 5 months left to keep the car, if I give the car back now then I'll have to pay 5 months interest in one go which is something that I really can't afford to do, so for the time being I am stuck with the installment payments. Thanks for the advice anyway, I appreciate it.
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 00:14
Have you registered at recruitment agencies? Some are better than other. Also sign up for temporary positions so that you at least have some income. Definitely downscale and start selling furniture and electronics. I cant imagine how you must feel being single and in debt in a country that is not your own....Good luck! I dont think it is age though...I know plenty people who are very well educated and experienced who cant even score an interview. The market currently in Dubai is terrible and when you read the newspapers even oil companies in Dubai are sending their employees packing. Do you have family in your home country who can loan you money to get out of debt? I would leave the country after paying the debt and try job hunting somewhere else.... Dear Asti, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I have met with a few agencies and also registered online but once I register they either never contact me again or when I chase them up they always say that they don't have anything suitable for me. I have sold everything there was to sell, furniture, clothes, electronics etc. I only have the minimum that is required to live on now. Maybe the people that you know who are well educated and experienced need a certain salary to be able to afford to live here. I only require the necessary salary to keep making the minimum payments to the bank and be able to live on here. I don't want to ask family for a loan as I got myself into this and I am the only one that is responsible for getting myself out of it. Once my debts are paid off I do intend to leave, thank you for the advice and thanks for replying to my post.
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 23:59
I am shock that you are being considered "too old" at 39 in your field of work and with your experience and qualifications. Would they treat a man of 39 in the same way? I had to put up with a solicitor in London who was at least 80 years old. -man and did make mistakes. However, I remember a woman who actually made herself younger by changing date of birth on passport from *** 0 to ***5 - thus being 5 years younger - or perhaps the passport office made the mistake. I knew her at school so knew her correct age. Dear Bingo, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. This surprised me as well and yes I don't think that a man would be treated this way as well. I have been applying for general administrative work as well as legal administration work as I am not a qualified solicitor. Thank you once again for your reply.
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 23:56
no discrimination here for the age...friend of mine got a job and she is 51 y. old!!!! after looking for almost 2 months....she accepted something at different level but....better lower than nothing. it depends also by your salary request ( better junior than senior....), your approach.... btw it's very hard to accumulate 100,000 aed using credit cards...if you can not pay regularly. My colleague few years back she was going every 2 weeks to beauty salon, every week end out for dancing and drinking....and other things...and when she has been terminated she was crying because she had the same problem with 3 banks!!!! Did you ask help from your family/relatives in your Country? Good luck and take care. Oil company has just terminated by end of this June 2 men with families & children Dear Roxan, Thank you for replying to my post. I have been looking for a few months now also for jobs at a lower level and at a much lower salary than what I was getting before, but still no luck. I didn't accumulate this debt on frivolous purchases, a lot of it went towards my rent and my car purchase as well as other things which I needed to pay for. I am not the kind of person who would run up debt unnecessarily in the way that your colleague did. I don't want to ask anyone for help as I'd rather get a job where I can work and pay my debts myself, I got myself into this so I really need to get myself out of it. Thank you for your advice and taking the time to respond to my post.
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 23:49
I believe you already sent this very same post to the 7 days tabloid.... That explains why you never respond back, and you are only an editor in 7 days or expat woman writing a letter just to spark comments.... How sad things isn't that much real! High quality journalism :evil: Or someone so "stressed" about her job situation, that has the time to write and moan about it everywhere. Dear Silvstet, Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my comment. I appreciate that you think my writing is of 'high quality'as you've stated in your post, that's very complimentary as I just wrote this in a very short amount of time and what I wrote was from the heart out of sheer frustration for being in this situation and not being able to get out of it. I sent the same post to 7 days and expat woman, and I have to thank Gorobattie for letting me know that this was also published in the 7 days newspaper. I never expected it to be as I am sure that they receive a lot of emails on a daily basis, I didn't think that my humble post would be published but I am glad that this has highlighted this situation of what I think is discrimination.
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 23:42
I believe you already sent this very same post to the 7 days tabloid.... That explains why you never respond back, and you are only an editor in 7 days or expat woman writing a letter just to spark comments.... How sad things isn't that much real! Dear Gorobattie, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and yes, you are correct, I did submit the same post to 7 days to make more people aware of what is going on in terms of what I feel is discrimination due to my age. My apologies for not replying any earlier as I have been busy going out looking for a job and the place where I have now moved to does not have internet access so when I want to use the internet I have to go to a friend's place to do so. This is the only reason why I have not replied any sooner. I am sorry if this upset you but I can assure you that I am not an editor looking to spark debate. I am simply someone who is in desperate need of a job and it worries me that as we are getting closer to Ramadan the job market will start to slow down. Once again I appreciate the time you took to reply to my post not only once but twice. Thank you.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY