Handling Nepali Maids in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Handling Nepali Maids in Dubai

Latest post on 25 June 2016 - 23:16
With current rules, anyone can change their job and there is no ban. Only if employer has a serious complaint which is with evidence etc, employer can submit a request in labor department before cancelling. You have got tricky situation. No option is safe in itself. I would let her stay as normal. You can't guard 24x7, if a maid wishes to cheat. Good luck.
Latest post on 24 June 2016 - 19:55
Hello Again Ladies ! posting this for more advice again ... So , after all that drama , the latest is that my maid finally agreed to stay with us till the end of the contract , that when we told that she will be sent to her home country right away . She tried to bargain with us , for some time in the country to search for a new job , which we refused ... ( obvious reasons ! ..if she doesn't want to work with us , she leaves ..doesn't she ? ) and she didnt want to go back ! .... so she agreed to stay back and work with us till she finishes her contract. it took us by surprise , but as I remember from prev experience that the kids don't take well to changing nannies , and we didn't want the kids to be unsettled at the beginning of the new school year . so we agreed to let her stay back . now , the thing is she will be left in my house for a good two months for summers , when me and my kids will be out for vacation while my husband stays back as he cant have a big leave as this , .. and I am not able to judge if I should let her stay back in my house , or send her off to someone we know , given the uncomfortable situation we have had with her in the past few months...! ... please give your suggestions ! :( ... I do feel so unsettled myself after all this drama and seem to really have lost trust in my own judgements :((
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 10:27
Six months left is really annoying, with the whole process being so expensive it's a lot of money to lose. Hopefully with one last effort to resolve it you'll get somewhere, good luck.
Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 21:41
I understand your frustration, next time spend more time speaking to the person that will actually work with you, it's always good to check references, but also make sure with the person that you hire that you agree with each other. You live and learn and it's always easy to look back what you could have done better, especially when you hire someone when you are stressed, maybe try to find a middle way with this maid until the end of the contract if possible.
Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 21:35
She still has 6 months left on her contract. Of the 6 months that she was with us , we were on short trips to our home country atleast twice , accounting to a total of 1.5 months of no work . we didn't take her with us as these were short trips and she happily agreed to stay back as well. I had spoken to her reference earlier where they said she would always be taken out with them ... I just feel from the whole experience that I didn't judge her well as I was so desperate for some help when I hired her ... but cant understand what else could have kept her back too ... ! Thanks for all the replies....I do plan to speak to her one last time but not hopeful ..!:(
Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 15:57
she said she would like to look for another job , however I do doubt that she has already found one ...what would otherwise motivate her so much ? also , is it normal practise to take the nannies along with you when on a long holiday ? we were planning to take her along to our home country for the summers .... that was one of the things she had resisted to ... infact she resists coming out with us anytime even if we need the help with the kids and we accommodated that as well .... do they basically get that choice ? As you are asking, -Do they get that choice? I think you weren't clear from the beginning what you expected from this maid. I think you should let this one go, find a new one and be very clear exactly what you expect from them and from there agree salary etc. Agree, and put it all in writing so there can be no confusion. If my boss only told me after I accepted a job that international travel would be expected I'd quit too. Sukhi, you haven't said how long she has left on her contract, is it very long? Can you find a compromise?
Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 14:15
she said she would like to look for another job , however I do doubt that she has already found one ...what would otherwise motivate her so much ? also , is it normal practise to take the nannies along with you when on a long holiday ? we were planning to take her along to our home country for the summers .... that was one of the things she had resisted to ... infact she resists coming out with us anytime even if we need the help with the kids and we accommodated that as well .... do they basically get that choice ? As you are asking, -Do they get that choice? I think you weren't clear from the beginning what you expected from this maid. I think you should let this one go, find a new one and be very clear exactly what you expect from them and from there agree salary etc.
Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 10:06
Maybe she's pregnant
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 20:33
I don't think there is any 'normal' practice with regards to taking maids or nannies out or away with you, each family just does what suits them. It doesn't sound like she is a very good fit for your family. You would be much better off with someone who is happy to go out and travel with you if that is what you require. If she is breaking her contract early I wouldn't pay any end of service bonus and cut my losses.
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 18:47
she said she would like to look for another job , however I do doubt that she has already found one ...what would otherwise motivate her so much ? also , is it normal practise to take the nannies along with you when on a long holiday ? we were planning to take her along to our home country for the summers .... that was one of the things she had resisted to ... infact she resists coming out with us anytime even if we need the help with the kids and we accommodated that as well .... do they basically get that choice ?
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 16:58
How long does she have left on her contract? Has she told you if she is going to find another maid job here or a different job here or if she is going home?
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 15:38
To be fair, they are no different to us, they can be unhappy at work, just as us. I worked as an aupair when I was young and hated living with the family I worked for and didn't stay for the full year that I was meant to be there. It wasn't personally that I didn't like the family, but I didn't feel like I properly had my own space. There are so many reasons why it might not work.
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 14:53
Hello Horizon Mum , thanks for the reply... yes all of the points that have been mentioned were taken care of . the thing is when she doesn't agree to open up to what was the issue , we have no clue as to what is the exact reason. we tried from our end to figure out all that we could ... she has the wifi , salary discussed , days off given , health issues tried to explain how it affects her as well as us , tried talking to her across the table , , she has never been questioned about why a particular task hasn't been done , except on rare occasions , where they were definitely needed to be done and weren't done , spoken to her relatives through whose reference she came in ( who also have given up convincing her btw )...nothing has worked. sure , I have some discipline and daily / weekly routine set in the house which she is expected to follow , but isn't that everywhere ? We have always encouraged her to talk to us , told the relatives to let us know in case she has issues , we just got this final blow of her wanting to quit ! Surely we cant force her to stay , but makes me wonder what is it with them that makes them so adamant !
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 08:48
in my experience, I think communication is key... we have had a nepali maid for the past 5 years now and she is very well settled with the family... we have increased her salary on an incremental basis every year and have set certain ground rules that we have mutually agreed on and that she has respected... every year when it's time for contract negotiation we tell her what we're offering her for the year and stipulate any additional terms & conditions or modifications to her job description similar to how we are discussed these things at our places of work... we then give her two to three weeks to decide on whether she wants to renew her contract giving her the space and time to think over her options. yes, we do have issues... whether it be her excessive use of the mobile phone or her forgetting to stick to some not-so-routine chores but every issue is addressed and resolved as and when it happens (no point leaving it for later on). We talk to her face to face across the table just like normal mature adults and try to get her to understand the situation... 9 out of 10 times the matter gets resolved and she appreciates that it was discussed and agreed mutually... i think the next time you recruit a maid find key issues that you feel might crop up, such as, - [b'>her missing her family/children[/b'> ... we have given her access to our home wifi so that she can set aside time to skype with them on a regular basis... she also gets given any of my new or barely worn outfits that I don't need to send back home to her grown up kids - [b'>her need for salary advances[/b'> ... we have agreed that she can have upto three salary advances during the course of one year and these will be cut back from future salaries at a pre-agreed installment rate so that she still has money to live on during the year - [b'>her holiday dates[/b'> ... we agree on which time of the year she wants to go on leave at the start of her contract year so that both of us can plan in advance for that time away - [b'>her health issues[/b'> ... we have also taken out medical insurance for her (which will be mandatory from June onwards anyway) and she gets taken to a clinic the minute she falls ills... and we have sat down and explained to her exactly why she needs to take care of her health and how it indirectly affects us and the children because she is exposing all of us to those germs etc when cooking, touching, etc. Now she wears a mask or takes appropriate care when ill to ensure that the spread of the virus is limited. - [b'>her days off[/b'> ... we are very fixed with her days off... we insist she takes every Friday off... we have also offered her single days off on public holidays (when there is a group of more than one day off... such as for Eid or when it coincides with the weekend)... but our condition right from the very start has always been that she can have NO over nighters on any condition... and that is something we remind her off at the contract negotiation stage every year... she can leave home first thing in the morning but needs to be back home by 10:45pm at night and absolutely no overnighters or overnight guests any relationship even if it is between the maid/employer needs to be built on a strong communication link... so talk to her... find out why she wants to change jobs... understand the real reasons and then perhaps it will all make sense... no point forcing her to stay till the end of the contract... coz if she's not happy then u'll always be worried at what she might be upto when ur not around... all the best
Latest post on 24 May 2016 - 05:40
Either she finishes her contract with you or you send her home with a one-year ban. She can't just quit like that.... Hey Anon , thanks for your reply ... but is a ban possible ? I heard it cud be lifted off easily these days as well . as much as I don't want to be harsh but her behaviour lately has hit my nerve ! Yes, a ban is possible. If it's lifted, there is not much that you can do about that.
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 23:09
You cannot force her to complete her contract as you have family, and you do not want her to hurt your kids or herself. You can try to negotiate and find a middle ground if you really think it is worth keeping her. I am not sure how you recruited her but it is always less risky to hire someone fresh from their home country with no experience through an agency. They tend to be more professional in terms of honouring their contract. I understand your troubles as I had troubles keeping a maid for years.. Wish you all the best, and good luck!
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 22:43
Either she finishes her contract with you or you send her home with a one-year ban. She can't just quit like that.... Hey Anon , thanks for your reply ... but is a ban possible ? I heard it cud be lifted off easily these days as well . as much as I don't want to be harsh but her behaviour lately has hit my nerve !
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 20:32
Either she finishes her contract with you or you send her home with a one-year ban. She can't just quit like that....
Latest post on 23 May 2016 - 18:24
Hello Ladies ! Not sure if its appropriate to post it here , but need some advice over what I have been experiencing with the nepali maids I have hired here in Dubai . The latest one , was brought in on her own terms , with the salary she demanded ( which is perhaps even on the higher side than the usual rates of Nepalis ) she has her day off every weekend , after finding out that she has a pre existing medical condition , we got a medical insurance for her .. and we get her checked and medicated regularly. Kids are at school / nursery for more than half the day and she is mainly required to clean and cook , and if need be play with the kids for about an hour a day . i prefer to do everything else for the kids myself as I am home with them after their school. She has been working earlier in Dubai for 4 years with one family . she is good at work and if she decides to , is good with kids too and we felt all was well , until one fine day she lets us know that she wanted to quit . we tried talking to her in every possible way but she seems adamant and does not even tell us the reason . I have had troubles finding a really compatible nanny / maid for our house and have endured quite a bit over this issue. After this latest one came in , we thought we were settled but it kind of plays on my confidence now to know that inspite of all the facilities I can possibly provide her , she still wants to quit ... This has now irked me so much to know that apart from the monetary loss that we will be bearing , the house will be unsettled , kids will keep asking , my work will suffer and after all this , she gets to make her choice and goes scott free for cheating us !! is there anyone who has had similar experiences or can advice me on how to handle this ?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY