Anyone live or been to Fujairah/Need some advice | ExpatWoman.com

Anyone live or been to Fujairah/Need some advice

Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 10:19

Hello,

I am a single female and will be moving to Fujairah soon.
Has anyone been to Fujairah ?
Does anyone live there now and care to share information about life there?

I would like to know what the malls are like, if there are taxis, are the beaches nice, are there spas, gyms,
movie theaters ?

Is the cost of living there less than in Dubai or Abu Dhabi ?

Latest post on 02 August 2016 - 22:23
Try searching "Fujairahns" on FB, it's a group for Fujairah residents. It can be helpful sometimes, they share information about activities. I lived in Fujairah for several years and liked how small and quiet it was. Shopping malls, hospitals, schools, parks - everything so close. They have a museum where you can learn a little about the local heritage. Sometimes there are cultural festivals in Fujairah or Kalba. There are several sights nearby like Al Heil castle and Skamkam fort. There's Birds of Prey Center in Kalba and a newly opened widelife reserve.
Latest post on 27 May 2016 - 05:14
Being curious, why so intrested in locals and camels? There is nothing going on in Fujairah really, there are a lot more conservative locals living there, but if you are familiar with Al Ain, I think you have experience with similar backgrounds. I just enjoy visiting camel markets during the weekend. As for the locals- whenever I live in another country I like to try to get to know the culture. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on Fujairah.......
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 20:59
Being curious, why so intrested in locals and camels? There is nothing going on in Fujairah really, there are a lot more conservative locals living there, but if you are familiar with Al Ain, I think you have experience with similar backgrounds.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 19:20
Its a super small dusty town. Very boring but super cheap rent and large apartments. No social life there. They usually drive to Dubai for some activities. My sister in law lives there. Her apartment is bigger than some villas in Dubai.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 14:53
I'd say it's smaller than Al Ain (certainly in size it's much smaller, and most probably in population as well). Not sure how the social life would compare, but Fujairah is certainly laid-back :). No camel markets, but there's bull-butting by the corniche on Fridays in the cooler months. There's also the "Friday" market in Masafi, 25 minutes' drive out of Fujairah, which sells carpets and other bits and pieces. Not sure about authentic Emirati culture, but there is a high proportion of Emirati to non-Emirati residents.
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 12:22
Ah that is good to know. Thanks for the tip! :)
Latest post on 26 May 2016 - 10:09
Fairmont will be opening in the coming months and is supposed to have a very nice beach, spa, and restaurants etc
Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 12:45
Oh wow! Thank you so much for the quick response. It is good to know that there are all these different activities to do in Fujairah. Would you say that Fujairah is similar in size ( in terms of population) and does it have a laid back social life like in Al Ain ? Any camel markets that one can visit ? Are there more opportunities to experience authentic Emirati culture there ?
Latest post on 25 May 2016 - 10:45
There are currently four malls, none is very crowded; City Centre on the outskirts of town towards Dubai/Masafi is the biggest, with a Carrefour, Tim Hortons, Starbucks, semi-decent food court (food outlets keep closing, though), a couple of other nice restaurants, and clothes shops etc. It also has a large cinema (Vox) which is very nice. Taxis are pretty easy to come by (depending on where you live - harder in new Sakamkam, for example). Many people keep the phone number of a known taxi driver or two who you can always ring up and have come and pick you up. Few beaches per se; the Hilton has a nice beach, but you need to be a member or guest to use it. There's a public beach next to the Hilton, but not the kind of place where you can sunbathe in a bikini. Nicer beaches up the coast. Spas yes, quite a few though I'm guessing not as fancy as the ones in Dubai. Gyms yes - mostly in the hotels (you can get membership) and in the Tennis Club (not as convenient unless you're working nearby, but very nice). Also a couple of the malls have gyms (Lulu Mall and Century Mall) - one of them is Fitness First. Cost of living is cheaper than the big cities. But we have less to spend our money on :D. Happy to answer any other questions!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY