School Drop Off and Pick Up | ExpatWoman.com

School Drop Off and Pick Up

Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 10:12

Hi
I was looking for some advice on school pick up options. My son will be attending FS2 at DESS from September which is in Oud Metha. We live in the marina and both of us work. School ends at 2.15 and a day a week he may have extra curricular activities.
As far as I know, there is no bus service from school to the Marina so I was looking for options for afternoon pick up only without having to employ a full time driver. I need somebody who will pick up our maid from JBR, travel with her to DESS, pick up my son and drive back. Usually a 2hr round trip.

Any suggestions for an alternative to a full time driver?
Thanks

Latest post on 07 November 2020 - 21:07
I hired a driver from Awesome Drive to School Drop Off and Pick Up my kid . Their service is very cost-effective and very professional drivers as well. You can google Awesome Drive to find the details.
Latest post on 20 February 2020 - 12:13
Check on Dubizzle, many drivers offering such a services, just call more of them and negotiate
Latest post on 12 February 2020 - 13:06
Hello. You will have several options of which: 1. Use Dubai Taxi/Uber/ Careem (which means you need to book everyday for pick up and drop off) 2. contact limosine companies, since they are licensed to pick up and drop off. 3. Enroll in bus... I dont recommend minibusses since they're less safe. always go with approved ways. for my son and neighbor's, since both are in the same school and we live nearby, we hired a car from a limousine company for pick up in the afternoon only and shared the cost. Since we both are working mothers, and cant pick up our children in the afternoon ... I can share with you or any other mother details of the company if desired, their rate is not fixed, all depends when and the distance, then you can agree on a fixed rate per month. I had good experience with them.
Latest post on 02 February 2020 - 18:01
If you are still looking for a part time driver, please call me. 0559989500 Adel , I have some free time and I need some extra cash
Latest post on 19 February 2017 - 23:56
Have you contacted RTA? They have school drop off and pick up service R u sure they r doing this service ??? Yes I am sure. Have you tried to contact RTA? These numbers are the ART school bus 04 208 0346 04 208 0347
Latest post on 19 February 2017 - 11:02
I am paying AED 1.86 per km and the meter starts at AED 25. Is Careem cheaper than this I wonder?
Latest post on 13 January 2017 - 21:19
Careem is fantastic, safe and reliable. I book a car with them for my kids to get to school every day and have no complaints, the drivers are very polite and I can track their route through the app.
Latest post on 13 January 2017 - 01:51
Butterfly - can I ask how the Dial a Driver has been going for you if you ended up using them? We have a transport issue at DESS too and I would love to know how this option has worked out. Thanks.
Latest post on 12 January 2017 - 13:41
Have you contacted RTA? They have school drop off and pick up service R u sure they r doing this service ???
Latest post on 12 January 2017 - 13:39
Hi ladies, I need carpool to drop my son everyday from sunday to thursday to his school ( kings nad alsheba) from mirdif, he should be 8:00 am at school not before that. Really I need help cause both me & my husband are working. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Latest post on 05 June 2016 - 11:13
Thank you so much ladies for your comments and suggestions. We won't be moving school as DESS is one of the best British schools here and he is doing really well. Secondly we will not be moving from JBR as my son loves the beach and he is able to play there almost every day. It is awesome that we can provide him with this kind of lifestyle. As for the commute, the 2 hour round trip would be for the nanny and driver, not for my son as my husband leaves home at 7am and they are usually parked up outside school by 7.35. The two of them get a really good chance to chat in the mornings without the distraction of electronic gadgets etc. Most parents I spoke to this weekend who live closer, spend 15 - 20 mins just trying to get out of their communities in Midiff or Arabian Ranches. Commute home is also almost the same so to be honest we are not concerned about this, particularly as he also takes a little snooze on the way home. Like I said however, I do appreciate the time you have taken to respond. Re my actual issue, we've looked into a few options now. Not many parents from the Marina with the same finish time as him so it's not really an option. We have interviewed and found a driver but the monthly cost is 3800 plus annual visa/ medical etc. We have also found a company called Dial a Driver. Whilst the name leaves a lot to be desired, they will send the same driver to us everyday, pick up our maid and car (with our own ready installed car seat), do the school pick up and drop back home. This service will cost about AED2000 per month. Whilst having a full time driver would be really convenient etc i'm not sure we would make full use of him. Does anybody else have a driver and if so, do you make full use of him? Many thanks
Latest post on 05 June 2016 - 08:53
butterfly, is there a PTA type organization at the school? or at least a school board? you might be able to connect with other parents regarding carpooling. im sure there are many parents who are coming from long distances - do not be put down by the commute - in a place like dubai where there are so many schools of flash and glamour, there are very few of any real substance. many parents concerned about their child's education and overall welfare opt to "inconvenience" themselves a bit to ensure their child is happy. also i assure you, a child would rather withstand a 2 hour commute than go to a close by school where they are miserable. if you were to use careem, someone previously had mentioned sheikh zayed road is not safe: truth is, none of the roads here are safe. please be conscious of car seat/booster seat usage. That's a very valid point, I forgot to mention Careem has a service called Careem Kids where they have a car seat in the car!
Latest post on 05 June 2016 - 08:35
butterfly, is there a PTA type organization at the school? or at least a school board? you might be able to connect with other parents regarding carpooling. im sure there are many parents who are coming from long distances - do not be put down by the commute - many parents concerned about their child's education and overall welfare opt to "inconvenience" themselves a bit to ensure their child is happy. also i assure you, a child would rather withstand a 2 hour commute than go to a close by school where they are miserable. if you were to use careem, someone previously had mentioned sheikh zayed road is not safe: truth is, none of the roads here are safe. please be conscious of car seat/booster seat usage.
Latest post on 04 June 2016 - 09:05
OP didn't ask for suggestions to change school or work or home! She simply asked for school drop off and pick up alternatives... No body can suggest to others how to live, where to live, where to work or where to enrol their children for school... ? We are simply pointing out that a 2 hour round trip for a four year old child is insane. And you think OP didn't notice the time taken for the trip? She knows, but that wasn't her question, she and her husband knows that, we can't dictate our views or better ideas on others, unless they asked for it, again op asked for methods of transportations, not suggestions of changing jobs, homes or schools!!
Latest post on 04 June 2016 - 06:17
OP didn't ask for suggestions to change school or work or home! She simply asked for school drop off and pick up alternatives... No body can suggest to others how to live, where to live, where to work or where to enrol their children for school... ? We are simply pointing out that a 2 hour round trip for a four year old child is insane.
Latest post on 04 June 2016 - 00:20
OP didn't ask for suggestions to change school or work or home! She simply asked for school drop off and pick up alternatives... No body can suggest to others how to live, where to live, where to work or where to enrol their children for school... ?
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 16:42
That's a long school journey for a young child. It will be tiresome for him and Sheikh Zayed Road isn't exactly safe. Why not move to Downtown?
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 14:20
I completely get your point about not wanting to move your child - plus DESS is a fantastic school . Have you thought about using Careem? They have an app, you book the taxi through the app or their website ( by taxi i mean something like a nice Lexus ES350 - even if you choose the economy option they will upgrade you to a nice car). You will get a confirmation along with the drivers name and mobile number and license plate. They will text you when the driver is outside your house so you can call the maid and tell her. On the drive to school and back you can track the car on the app to see it's exact location in Dubai which will be a relief. Once the taxi reaches it's destination you will get a text and be e-mailed an invoice. Your maid can pay them the cash or you can link your credit card. You will need to make it 2 booking - one on the way to school and one on the way back, but it will probably end up being the same driver because they find the driver closest to you when you make your booking. It's very reliable, and I think you'll find the up to date tracking feature really convenient. I use it often and the drivers are very polite and well trained. If you use this link to sign up, you'll get AED20 credit free! :biggrin: [url=http://careem.com/signup/OK5U1S9FC3'>http://careem.com/signup/OK5U1S9FC3[/url'>
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 12:45
Thanks ladies We both work in the downtown area so we are able to do the drop off in the morning. He's just about to finish FS1 there and is so settled. He loves the school, as do we. Moving schools is not really an option for us but I will contact the RTA and find out what they provide.
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 15:50
Honestly don't underestimate how much of a difference it makes having school closer to home.... Long school journeys are also very tiring for kids in this heat. DESS is a great school but very far for your little one. Do you both work Marina side of town?
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 15:36
Jeez, DESS. You don't make things easy on yourself, do you? Why don't you go to Kings Dubai or somewhere closer?
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 12:20
Have you contacted RTA? They have school drop off and pick up service
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 10:16
Hi I was looking for some advice on school pick up options. My son will be attending FS2 at DESS from September which is in Oud Metha. We live in the marina and both of us work. School ends at 2.15 and a day a week he may have extra curricular activities. As far as I know, there is no bus service from school to the Marina so I was looking for options for afternoon pick up only without having to employ a full time driver. I need somebody who will pick up our maid from JBR, travel with her to DESS, pick up my son and drive back. Usually a 2hr round trip. Any suggestions for an alternative to a full time driver? Thanks The only legal way is to engage a driving company or get taxis/Careem..part-time workers are illegal. Have you asked on the school's facebook group ? Maybe someone could carpool with you..

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY