Where to live, near office or school? | ExpatWoman.com

Where to live, near office or school?

Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 14:06

Hi Ladies,

We're moving back to Dubai after 5 years in Europe so Im not up to date with the new areas to live and schools. It would be great if you could help!

So our situaton is that DH's office will be in Downtown near Dubai Mall. We have lived in the Lakes/Meadows area before, so I know that area well and like it, but are there any other nice villa areas to live nearer Downtown where the children can go out and bike and walk to a little park to play? I dont want to drive everywhere.
I remember feeling that Arabian Ranches was far out in the desert, but with the many new areas perhaps that has changed?
I also like Umm Suquiem and ares around there, but I want to live in a compound, so that there might be some other children nearby.
So what about school? I think Im going crazy,!!!! I cant concentrate on anything else! We have applied at a couple (one of them is GWA) but havent decided yet, but we think we'll go for an IB. If we end up living in Jum/Umm suquiem we might decide on a school there.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Latest post on 01 June 2016 - 15:36
Agree. We moved out of AR when it was a nightmare journey with that horrid huge roundabout at Al Khail. Now it's a quick 15 min hop up Umm Suqeim St and I'm even considering moving back! It's really not far at all vs developments now being built the other side of the old bypass road, really out on the desert. Mind you, I still think of the Villa as being slightly remote though!
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 16:46
Agree with Clairehdp - access to Arabian Ranches and surrounding areas has improved greatly. Definitely worth a look....
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 16:41
When we first moved to Dubai Arabian Ranches was just being handed over and i was horrified at the thought of living so far out and in the desert!!!! Fast forward 3 years and we moved to AR and loved every single minute there. The roads have changed so much - it's a great location now. You could now look at The Villa - even easier commute for your husband and it's lovely with walks and places for the kids to ride their bikes. So many new communities - worth getting out there and taking a look around. Good luck with the move. Can't help with schools as i know know the BC ones.
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 16:35
Take care with landlords in Jumeirah/Umm Suqeim areas. They vary a lot. Ours is rubbish and doesn't like to spend a dirham if he can get away with it! The agents tend to know which are the compounds with good maintenance, so just make sure to ask the question. I agree, very difficult to find someone providing good maintenance, as it's not individual owners they don't seem to care to much
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 16:28
We used Skyland, and they knew which were good. They wont tell you anything negative unless you specifically ask though.
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 15:45
Take care with landlords in Jumeirah/Umm Suqeim areas. They vary a lot. Ours is rubbish and doesn't like to spend a dirham if he can get away with it! The agents tend to know which are the compounds with good maintenance, so just make sure to ask the question. where are these magical knowledgeable agents of which you speak? i've yet to encounter one...
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 10:05
Take care with landlords in Jumeirah/Umm Suqeim areas. They vary a lot. Ours is rubbish and doesn't like to spend a dirham if he can get away with it! The agents tend to know which are the compounds with good maintenance, so just make sure to ask the question.
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 06:40
I am not sure what you are looking for in terms of rooms and budget. Check on Propertyfinder for some examples https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/rent/dubai/properties-for-rent-jumeirah-jumeirah-3.html Splendour villas are next to me and very nice but there are many good compounds around
Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 01:41
I would try Jumeira, Umm Suqeim area. Close to beach and shops and beach and also not far from work for your husband. Schools wise you could try Gems Wellington International (straight down the highway would be a quick drive) JBS (if you live in Jumeira) DIA (bit of a longer drive but again mostly highway) If you go for BC then plenty of options in that area - JPS, JC etc But if you like the Lakes, it is not a long drive to Business Bay as there are many new roads now. Then you could still go for DIA, DBS etc Good luck Thank you Kitten67, Do you know any nice compounds or areas within Jumeira or Umm Suqeim?
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 14:36
I would try Jumeira, Umm Suqeim area. Close to beach and shops and beach and also not far from work for your husband. Schools wise you could try Gems Wellington International (straight down the highway would be a quick drive) JBS (if you live in Jumeira) DIA (bit of a longer drive but again mostly highway) If you go for BC then plenty of options in that area - JPS, JC etc But if you like the Lakes, it is not a long drive to Business Bay as there are many new roads now. Then you could still go for DIA, DBS etc Good luck

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY