Advice on moving to Sydney | ExpatWoman.com

Advice on moving to Sydney

Latest post on 12 June 2016 - 00:18

Hi

My husband has been offered a job in Sydney on a temporary 4 year visa. We would be moving in January 2017 with a 6 month old baby. His salary each month would be between $7700-$8100 but he is financially bonded to his contract so we would have to pay to get out of it if we changed our minds. I just wondered if anyone could tell me:

1) is this enough money to get by on? We would ideally look at renting a 3 bed property.
2) is there a good support network for mums? This is my first child and I come from a close knit family so I'm a little nervous about being isolated
3) would I be allowed to work if my husband is only on a temporary visa?

Sorry for all the questions it's just a really big gamble for us and I want to make sure we make the right decision. My husband really wants the position but I just worry about what happens in 4 years time.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Latest post on 12 June 2016 - 11:04
Hi comp99 Thank you for your reply and apologies for the lack of clarity, that would be my husbands take home after tax and super. I've had a quick look at properties and rent will take up to half of his salary. I just have no idea what the cost of living is like in Sydney and don't want to find we get there and then have to struggle to get by.
Latest post on 12 June 2016 - 01:16
On a temporary visa you won't have medicare and you won't have any child care support ( if you plan to work) You'll have to get your own medical insurance. The amount you have mentioned is it pre-tax amount per month or after tax? If you already know the location of your husband's office ..check out the rental prices in nearby suburbs on realestate.com.au to get a feel of what kind of properties are available at what price per week. Since rent is a major expense in sydney (and rest of australia as well) you will be able to get a clear picture of whether the salary is do able for the standard of living you are after. You would need to do your own research about work conditions on the type of visa you would have. Information should be available online on border control webite.