Emigrating to the UAE | ExpatWoman.com

Emigrating to the UAE

Latest post on 19 June 2016 - 05:21

Hi All,

I've been offered a teaching job with the Ministry of Education starting in August 2016. I've never been to the UAE but have taught in Japan and France, as well as my home country of the UK, i've heard mixed reviews and don't know what to do. I'm tempted to take the job as It's definitely a new challenge and great for my career. My husband is a muslim - British Pakistani, and i'm white British so we are thinking this could be a great opportunity for us for more than one reason. The company will cover his health insurance too but we are finding it hard to make a decision and plan because it's likely we won't be allocated a location until we arrive.
The package they've offered seems fair but I think i'd just like some realistic advice, pros/cons etc to what we should be looking for or preparing for if we do decide to come. I take daily medication and have a few health issues which is one of my main concerns, my dr will give me 3 months supply but reading about the strict rules with meds makes me nervous. The weather is another concern, although I love warm weather and a blue sky, I don't know if I can deal with temperatures this high lol. Also seeing as we don't know our location is it best my husband waits to apply for jobs until we arrive i.e. Is it easier to find a job once you are there and can meet face to face?
Thanks in advance.

Latest post on 29 June 2016 - 02:28
Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, they will provide a hotel for the first 9 nights during that time they will arrange housing and sort our paperwork, then give us our own accommodation. Its a 2 year contract with paid holidays. Yes, i understand it will be very different from Japan that's part of the attraction - new culture! If I were to come alone (my husband would join me a few months later) are there things I should be aware of as a single, white female? Sorry if this sounds naive or silly, I'd just like to find out as much as possible before arriving and make sure I can fit in when I arrive. Although i'm a firm believer of being thrown in the deep end too haha! My preference is Dubai or Abu Dhabi but they currently having given out locations.
Latest post on 20 June 2016 - 00:38
Working for the MOE is a good opportunity.It is not uncommon to be allocated housing on arrival as you will still need to pass your medical to be issued permission to reside here. You didn't say if they will put you in temporary housing until you find something. Yes, it is hot. Many (most) people working in education leave in the summer and you didn't say if your post was year-round. Dubai is a very easy place to live. I would not worry at all. That stated, if you are left wistful for your time in Japan this is nothing at all like living there! A totally new experience. Give it a try. You might find that you truly love it.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY